Why become a member? ×

rotosounds

mushers

They do take some playing in. The 66s I got fot free after the last Roto thread are just about right now. Fitted em about a month after they arrived. Been through the inital klanky phase, and the dull phase, now they seem good to go.

Never had fret issues with Rotos, although I've only ever tried Swing Bass, nor sore fingers. But maybe thats down to indiviuals skin.

What about Rotosound flats? I have a set on my Precision at the moment. Not sure I'll keep them on for long though. They sounded great when recording EofF's acoustic demo but I've been unhappy with them in rehearsals thus far and haven't gigged them yet. Also find them quite hard to play.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1343474095' post='1751214']
What about Rotosound flats? I have a set on my Precision at the moment. Not sure I'll keep them on for long though. They sounded great when recording EofF's acoustic demo but I've been unhappy with them in rehearsals thus far and haven't gigged them yet. Also find them quite hard to play.
[/quote]
I always use flats and I could live with the Roto flats if I had to but I don't really like their feel or tone either.

I bought roto's for my first change of strings in years. Was looking for a 70's sound so thought I'd buy strings that have been around since then. Do seem to be hard on the frets and I don't have much fret left in places. Anyone recommend a 70's sounding string that's kinder to the frets?

[quote name='Looper' timestamp='1343477436' post='1751264']
I bought roto's for my first change of strings in years. Was looking for a 70's sound so thought I'd buy strings that have been around since then. Do seem to be hard on the frets and I don't have much fret left in places. Anyone recommend a 70's sounding string that's kinder to the frets?
[/quote]

Back then i used to use Picato, mainly cos of the price and availability though. Only went back to Rotos a few years ago, they do seem to be harder and klankier than they used to be, but that could just be me. I dont think I'll be going back after the ones I have got are finished.

Edited by BRANCINI

Rotosound strings are the only ones I've tried that I actually really disliked. I love the sound of brand new, fresh and clanky strings. The rotosounds I bought (I think it was the swing strings? Orange box) lost the nice new sound within 10 hours of playing. Probably the only brand of strings I wouldn't buy.

I guess it depends what you're after. horses for courses and all that. I love the warm, thumpy-yet-still-growl-when-you-dig vibe that yuo get with worn in Rotosounds. Other guys will like them when they are clangy and fresh, other guys will avaoid them like the plague. I personally really dislike EB Slinkies yet they are probably the most popular strings our there!

For about 20 years I used roto swing bass strings on my bass. I must have played 1,000 gigs during that time. I've owned the bass since 1984 and I've never had to have a refret. After trying slinkys and DR strings for a couple of years I've recently returned to rotosound and I really like them.

Edited by gjones

I like the 66 nickels. The steels killed my frets, but I was in a phase of very heavy fretting and fret 'clank'... :D.

Even if you have steel frets they'll eat them over time: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Hz_d3JPs0&feature=plcp[/media]

What's lovely about them is the tone (the nickels are great IMO).

3:20 lol

Edited by PlungerModerno

Love the sound of fresh Rotos, but I seem to kill a set stone dead after about 10 hours playing. They feel quite "grabby" under the fingers, but don't most stainless steel strings?

Back in the late 80s / early 90s their quality control was terrible, lots of dead strings straight out of the packet and breakages. Didn't have any problems with the sets I bought recently but I won't using them again because they don't last.

These days I use DR Highbeams for clangyness, EB Slinkys for when I want a smoother sound, and Status Hotwires if I want a zingy top end but with lots of bassy fundamental ooomph.

Edited by Fat Rich

I've been putting the absolute cheapest of cheap bass strings on my Rick from Ebay the last few times I've restrung it and I can't tell the difference between them and Rotosounds...might say something about them!

I agree they are very harsh on the fingers, going to be switching to flats next time around.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343501507' post='1751537']
I actually like tougher strings too, my fingers... Kind of slip off the smoother ones especially when I start to sweat! Still, don't like rotosoubds either. Nothing really wrong with them they just don't work for me sound wise
[/quote]

Give Dean Markley Blue Steels a go lad. Similar enough to Roto's feel wise but IMO they are infinitely superior in the tone department.

Funny you should raise this....I always used Rotosound. When I bought an Overwater bass i stuck with the strings they were delivered with and they were superb. when the time came to change them I instinctively bought Rotosound Swing strings and off to the gig I went. Same thing I am a finger player and the strings were sticking on my fingers as though the winding wasn't smoothed down. I think their manufacturing technique and or their quality control has dropped. I have now bought Picato strings which are made in the UK...apparently they make custom guages for Overwater.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1343577080' post='1752242']
Give Dean Markley Blue Steels a go lad. Similar enough to Roto's feel wise but IMO they are infinitely superior in the tone department.
[/quote]

They look good but ouch they're a lot more expensive than my preferred brands! Might check em out as a little treat sometime though ;)

i have noticed something else since changing out the roto's
i had recently learnt some new songs and was playing them along with the utube vids but always sounded slightly out of tune to them i put it down to the encoding of youtube, but now with new strings im in tune with the same clips !
im thinking i had a duff set or maybe just a string rotosounds had always felt rougher but i dont remember them being that rough and definatly not had tuning issues before
that said the roughness and the sudden death of the twang is enough to put me off for a while

I've got a set of Roto Nickels on my Fenderbird, and they're OK, but I'll probably try DRs or Newtones when I change them soon. One annoyance was the silk winding, which interfered with the saddle on my Supertone. I never understand why string manufacturers put silks on the bottom end of the string - it's just a problem waiting to happen.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1343588911' post='1752462']I never understand why string manufacturers put silks on the bottom end of the string - it's just a problem waiting to happen.[/quote]
It used to be to prevent the welt from fraying. These days, though, there's no need for it, unless Rotosound is saying that it isn't capable of making a sting that's bound to modern standards. Personally, I just see Rotosound's use of windings as a waste of the planets diminishing resources. It would no doubt spout some b*ll*cks about brand identity and marketing.