Why become a member? ×

rotosounds

mushers

I've used Rotosound 66s for the best part of a decade, never had any fret wear issues from them.
I love the fresh from the packet sound. My only issue is that they lose that clank too quickly. I'm looking for a string with a similar sound that lasts a bit longer, if anyone has any suggestions?

Strangely enough, D`Addario Chrome Flats can get a good clank coaxed from them. And being flats, retain their sound quite well. I had a set for a while, liked the sound (long term Roto user, me) but just can`t get on with the feel of flats. But worth checking out, surprisingly zingy, those chromes.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1343654089' post='1753130']
Strangely enough, D`Addario Chrome Flats can get a good clank coaxed from them. And being flats, retain their sound quite well. I had a set for a while, liked the sound (long term Roto user, me) but just can`t get on with the feel of flats. But worth checking out, surprisingly zingy, those chromes.
[/quote]

+1

I'm enjoying Chromes on my OLP at the moment. Loving the blue silks at both ends too! :lol:

Have used Rotos for many years, never really had any problems. Silk stays intact for a fare few boilings.

If you use their round wound strings I can't see that they can be any different to any others, the winding materials is going to be just as hard and the gauge of the winding wire is going to be virtually identical. Any round wound is going to be harsh on your frets, but I've got basses with years of use with Swing Bass in them, still on the original frets with no reason to even think about replacing any of them.

I'm one who prefers them after a while, my Stingray could do with new strings but I'm waiting for the end of a batch of gigs in a few weeks to do so. The zing is great if you want to slap. My needs are edging towards halfrounds.

You guys all sound far more advanced/experienced players than me and I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the tone issue. but, to my office worker amateur fingers, I've not found my new Rotos any harsher than the probably donkeys years old strings that were on my bass from when I bought it.

interesting reading though

I've been trying loads of other strings over the past 5 years, as despite my own experiences I keep reading how rubbish Rotosound strings are. I quite like DR Lo-Riders, but I've found that nothing seems quite as right for me as the Rotosound Swing Bass 66s and I won't be wasting any more time and money trying others unless something new comes along. The steels are a little hard on frets (more so on Fenders than Rickenbackers incidentally), but the nickels (while not quite so bright) are quite easy on frets and probably don't feel as rough either.

Incidentally, I don't think the likes of Geddy Lee are using Rotos because they're paid to (as was implied earlier), I think they are way past that stage! Besides, I suspect that any string manufacturer would happily give them a similar endorsement deal, should they really prefer another brand.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1343650787' post='1753055']
I've used Rotosound 66s for the best part of a decade, never had any fret wear issues from them.
I love the fresh from the packet sound. My only issue is that they lose that clank too quickly. I'm looking for a string with a similar sound that lasts a bit longer, if anyone has any suggestions?
[/quote]

Tried Life strings ? Cheap from Janikas in Nottingham. I bought a couple of sets of Nickels via ebay early last winter just to try em, put one set on a P and one on a Jazz necked bitsa. 8 months and theyre still too klaknly for my tastes. Got red silk on em as well, could easily pass for Rotos. I put a set of roto 66s on my 'goto' P at about the same time and theyre nice and dead now as i said in an earlier post.