Why become a member? ×

Dare I say it.... I think I've finally settled on a bass

philwood

Ok like most people I've suffered my fair share of GAS (mainly through immaturity) over the last 15 years I've been playing.
I've owned custom this and that, just about every major brand out there, tried every combination of woods electronics pickups bla bla bla. And what do I settle on?
A cracking USA Fender precision.
I've never ever been settled on a bass as long as this one. Original and best now IMHO!
Anyone else with similar experience?

Find one bass that works fairly well and stick with it. Learn it's idiosyncrasies, work round it limitations and focus on the music.

Although of course you'll need a backup bass. And a decent five string. And maybe you'll treat yourself to something a bit special when you hit 30, 40, 50 or 60 years old. ;)

But apart from that, you're on the right track.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343402553' post='1750278']
Find one bass that works fairly well and stick with it. Learn it's idiosyncrasies, work round it limitations and focus on the music.

Although of course you'll need a backup bass. And a decent five string. And maybe you'll treat yourself to something a bit special when you hit 30, 40, 50 or 60 years old. ;)

[/quote]

Don't forget the fretless too! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343402553' post='1750278']

[/quote]

Absolutely, Fully agree!! Just a shame it's cost me about 20K in the process!!! WHY!!!!

Yep, resisted Fender for years, mainly because my dad played them and said I should. Naturally as a teenager I rebelled and did everything but. Warwicks, BC Rich(!), Epiphones, G&L, Music Man, Custom builds, 20 years on and I bought my first Jazz bass and wondered what the hell I'd been thinking all that time, so I bought two or three more all of which i still have. My dad had a smug grin on his face when I took my 70s Jazz round to see him. But I'm not getting rid of my trusty Sabre, even if it is collecting dust these days.

Having said that I just pushed the button on a Yamaha BB 5 string!

[quote name='philwood' timestamp='1343401998' post='1750257']
Ok like most people I've suffered my fair share of GAS (mainly through immaturity) over the last 15 years I've been playing.
I've owned custom this and that, just about every major brand out there, tried every combination of woods electronics pickups bla bla bla. And what do I settle on?
I've never ever been settled on a bass as long as this one. Original and best now IMHO!
[/quote]

Amen! I've got a USA P, and I must admit, it's an awesome bass. I don't think I've ever heard myself so well in the mix.

I don't think it's going to work though....... Almost bought a limited edition Hoffner Jubilee for £650...... Probably get a Hagstrom Viking next to see what it's like playing blues, probably a sunburst Hoffner............ And when I'm rich and famous, a Ray, Gretsch, Rickie, .and Jazz........ So I'll probably end up skint

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1343408107' post='1750384']
I don't think it's going to work though....... Almost bought a limited edition Hoffner Jubilee for £650...... Probably get a Hagstrom Viking next to see what it's like playing blues, probably a sunburst Hoffner............ And when I'm rich and famous, a Ray, Gretsch, Rickie, .and Jazz........ So I'll probably end up skint
[/quote]

But at least you can plan for your future .... there are no nasty surprises when you are aware of your tendencies :happy:

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1343408874' post='1750404']
My strategy is to add a USA P bass and an electric upright to my current basses and I believe I will be satisfied ....
[/quote]No you won't be, you'll just think of something else you want! It's what we all do!! :D

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1343409265' post='1750410']
No you won't be, you'll just think of something else you want! It's what we all do!! :D
[/quote]

I know you are right so I'm in the best of company. If I can afford one and there's room here then there's no reason why not to. My dogs can't really object B) . Here's to healthy obsession :lol: .

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1343409458' post='1750414']

I know you are right so I'm in the best of company. If I can afford one and there's room here then there's no reason why not to. My dogs can't really object B) . Here's to healthy obsession :lol: .
[/quote]I sold my '05 USA P last year (I'd owned it from new), I bought it because I was doing some stuff with a friends blues/classic rock band. Once I stopped doing that I didn't really use it much, so after 4 years of hardly any use I decided to move it on and get a Warwick (which I'd wanted for about 20 years!). Now I love my Warwick and don't regret that part of my decision at all, BUT the number of times recently I've been doing a song and thinking "that fender would've sounded great for this track" , and found myself thinking "just drop the guy you sold it to a message and see if you can buy it back". It's strange stuff that GAS I tell thee!! lol

[quote name='philwood' timestamp='1343401998' post='1750257']
[/quote]

having just looked at your youtube vids there `i can see what you mean, the other bass on there sounds great- but in the mix and generally the P sounds great. With your playing style it gives it a bit of edge.
Good move

I bought a stingray, nice bass but not for me.

Then I bought a Fullerton P bass, loved it except for the chunky neck.

Finally settled on a American Special P bass. I can't see myself ever getting rid of this bass, certainly not playing anything other than a P bass. I don't want to own any other bass. Leo was a genius.

Im kinda the same... I settled on Ric many years ago, just find them the best for me in regards to sound, neck profile and weight. I have a USA P as my backup bass and they are fine fine instruments indeed, this one being a 2009 one so with the better (IMO of course :) ) bridge that doesnt cut your hand open.

Edited by Stag

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1343468810' post='1751142']
Im kinda the same... I settled on Ric many years ago, just find them the best for me in regards to sound, neck profile and weight. I have a USA P as my backup bass and they are fine fine instruments indeed, this one being a 2009 one so with the better (IMO of course :) ) bridge that doesnt cut your hand open.
[/quote]

Yeah the bridge is tremendous mines the same, massive improvement imo.

I started with an American P $600 from a shop in Vegas about 11 years ago and it's still the only bass I've ever owned. I had borrowed a fair few before then and fancy a MM at some point but in my 13 odd years of playing the bass I've not really thought about buying another bass. Pretty incredible considering the amount of dosh i've spent on amps and cabs in that time!

MIJ Yamaha BB3000. Had an 80's jobbie for six years until it was stolen, then two years later after having Status, JayDee and EBMM Stingray, I found another BB3000 (with std Yam and Jay Dee electronics) which five years later I swapped for a new Warwick Streamer (???). Finally found another BB3000 for sale here on BC ('BB2000'...top man to deal with !!). This one is going nowhere !!

i like p basses so much i started to collect them .... at the moment i own 4 mia (1973, 1975, 1976, 2010 deluxe) and 3 mij (jv fiesta red, jv candy apple red and a 3tsb sq, probably the best of all of them!) plus a sadowsky metro 5 pj plus all my other stuff ...

what will happen to the price of basses if the financial market crushes???