Why become a member? ×

how to look on stage

SpaceChick

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343306651' post='1748628']
While acknowledging the fact that not all gigs are the same IMO a "rock" gig should appeal to the visual senses as much as the auditory ones. Remember you've got to give the audience something to make up for the fact that live most bands present a louder but less well mixed version of their recordings.

If there's nothing worth watching, you'd probably be better of staying at home and playing the album loud. The beer is likely to be better, and less chance you'll stick to the carpet.
[/quote]

I did have one gig, where - sadly - I had to stand very still. It was about the dullest thing I've ever done, despite being almost note perfect; and I'm sure the crowd thought so to... the dull bit, not the note perfect bit.

Now it's straight to the front; find a comfy monitor for my foot; and get riffing... interspersed with the usual gurns, shouts of "come on" and headbanging associated with the art. Anything to get a reaction and show some energy really. I'd rather go for a run across stage to hit a riff with the guitarists than be note perfect, as I know which one I'd rather see from down the front.

Takes a while to get the hang of, mind. That first gig out of the comfort zone requires some brassy ones to get right :lol:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343308229' post='1748664']
BRX is dead right. I've said it before, and I WILL say it again. In popular music, most people SEE music before they HEAR it.

Music is much more a lifestyle choice than an art choice. It's very important that the 'listener' identifies with the artist or band. That can be superficial or pretty deep. But that connection MUST be made by the audience if the artist is to be successful.

Anyone who thinks their success is dependent on the quality of their music is seriously way off beam, and kidding themselves. When you have a reputation, you can then exploit the quality and lifestyle values of your music, until then it's all image and attitude, unless you only want to be liked by other musicians.
[/quote]

Damn right. If I go to see a band (yes,see) then I expect to be entertained.If the band have walked on stage wearing the same clothes that my dad wears doing the gardening then I'm likely to think they can't be bothered to make an effort.Likewise,if I'm on stage then I make an effort to look like I'm making an effort...Being the sole moving focal point in a 3 piece band means I do stuff other than stand still and play.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1343387430' post='1749905']
If the band have walked on stage wearing the same clothes that my dad wears doing the gardening then I'm likely to think they can't be bothered to make an effort.[/quote]

I'd say they'd made quite a bit of an effort, what with stealing your dad's gardening clothes and all.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1343396244' post='1750132']
I really don't care what a band wears when going on stage really. I think too many bands go for image over music which is something I really really detest the idea of.
[/quote]

Agree completely.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1343396244' post='1750132']
I really don't care what a band wears when going on stage really. The only gig I've ever been to where I was there to see a show as well as listen to the music was Rammstein. I think too many bands go for image over music which is something I really really detest the idea of.
[/quote]

The thing that annoys me about statements like this is the implication that any band that has made more than a token effort on their image has somehow invalidated their music. For any good band the music and the image are equally important. Neither has taken precedence and both go together the form the whole package. People use their eyes as well as their ears, so like it or not the image could be the thing that makes them pick one band over another when deciding which gig to go to or which CD/download to buy.

When people go to gigs they want to be entertained and that means giving them something interesting to watch as well as listen to. Otherwise you should either play behind a blank curtain, or just bring your recording and play that through the PA.

In a way I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate image, or who automatically think that it overshadows the music, because IMO they are missing out on part of the whole experience. A bit like being deaf or blind.

And HJ Freaks is a perfect example of the importance of image. There's no doubt that he's a talented musician, but would we have heard of him or be talking about him at all if it wasn't for the cross-dressing videos? I think not.

Edited by BigRedX

[i]I remember a interview with the late Rory Gallagher , who said that he just couldn't go on stage an act " dopey" or stare at his shoes- a great performer and player - and genuinely got-off on the music - check some of his performances on youtube - class. Duck-walks a speciality.. I don't think he thought once about looking cool - just went for it.[/i]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343308848' post='1748675']
:D You wouldn't believe how many people want to talk about the gloves rather the the bass or the grooves mate :)
[/quote]

They are handy if you need to wash up all of a sudden aren't they!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343400017' post='1750205']
And HJ Freaks is a perfect example of the importance of image. There's no doubt that he's a talented musician, but would we have heard of him or be talking about him at all if it wasn't for the cross-dressing videos? I think not.
[/quote]

this - if he just wore boring old jeans and a black tshirt (aka bass players uniform) then he would have most likely disappeared into the world wide web of bedroom bassists without a trace along with hundreds of others of equal skill and competence

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343400061' post='1750206']
Disagree completely.
[/quote]

I think I get the message. :D

Seriously, I could not give a damn what an artist wears on stage. I simply go, to see (and hear !!) an artist perform his/her music. Their sense of fashion means nothing to, nor does it "entertain" me. Once the music, performance, over all sound, athmosphere, etc., is good, I am a happy bunny.

Granted, others like your good self dont see it this way. Fair enough.

Edited by Coilte

Thinking about gigs i have been to and really can't remember what anyone was wearing. But i can remember some stunning arrangements and fantastic groove and playing. Its gotta depend on the genre i guess. Some genres are so stereotyped now that it must be difficult for bands breaking into it to contemplate doing something different.

You'll find that blokes don't notice so much what people are actually wearing. If a high proportion of your audience are women it's very important.

What you wear is only part of your appearance.

If you play in a party band and jump around, it's infectious and your audience will jump around. The idea of having a frontman is to direct the audience. Whether they direct the audience to sit quietly and listen or they direct the band to jump around depends on the frontman being appropriate for the music and band.

I'm not overly concerned with my image, although i do sometimes go a little crazy to stand out, like the plan i have of wearing a tiger suit at my next gig. I'm quite active when i'm playing aswell, which kind of takes over the fact that our frontman can't do that kind of stuff as he's stuck behind a mic.

As for watching gigs, i tend not to take that much notice of how people are dressed, in a gig situation body language says a lot more than what an outfit can (Within reason of course) so i like to watch how the band are acting onstage, and how they act with the crowd. Although i will notice if someone's made an effort to look different (usually quite stupid) like when our drummer made it his main concern to dress as indie as he possibly could for a gig.

Liam

So if we look at this logically, captain...
It would seem that in an audience there will be some people who dont care how you look, and some people who like to see some groovy clothes and moves.
Ergo, if you dress up a bit and throw a few shapes you will please the majority of the audience.

That's my theory anyway. :-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1343547664' post='1751839']
So if we look at this logically, captain...
It would seem that in an audience there will be some people who dont care how you look, and some people who like to see some groovy clothes and moves.
Ergo, if you dress up a bit and throw a few shapes you will please the majority of the audience.

That's my theory anyway. :-)
[/quote]

Depends how many musicians are in the audience.