Why become a member? ×

how to look on stage

SpaceChick

We are three very different looking people in my band. Up until March this year that's what we looked like on stage too. Someone I know who has sold lots and lots of records in his career saw us and said to me "I like what you're doing but you don't look like a band" So we had a think and came up with the cheap shirt and suits idea.
What I noticed was. We felt like a band. We got extra confidence on stage and played better. And the best bit. People came up to us after gigs and bought lots more CDs than we usually sell. I think it's because we were instantly identifiable and had a level of sepration from looking like an audience member.
Very little cost outlay. My machine washable suit cost £49!
One of the best decisions we've made.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1343729221' post='1754155']
We are three very different looking people in my band. Up until March this year that's what we looked like on stage too. Someone I know who has sold lots and lots of records in his career saw us and said to me "I like what you're doing but you don't look like a band" So we had a think and came up with the cheap shirt and suits idea.
What I noticed was. We felt like a band. We got extra confidence on stage and played better. And the best bit. People came up to us after gigs and bought lots more CDs than we usually sell. I think it's because we were instantly identifiable and had a level of sepration from looking like an audience member.

[/quote]
I think that pretty much proves the point!

Not that I think that everyone should go on stage wearing suits or dressing up like BRX's band, but it is a massive advantage to have an identitiy as a band and you have to put on some sort of a show and entertain people if you want any level of success (even at the most basic pub gig level)......

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343673854' post='1753560']
As I keep saying, the visuals are not there to make up for some supposed musical short-coming. The music is already awesome. The visuals make it even more awesome.
[/quote]

It can work the other way as well. I remember getting a CD of a band off a mate that had minimal artwork and no photos. The music was good and I listened to it on and off for a long time. I remember when I actually saw a picture of the band for the first time it nearly put me off listening to them because they looked like a bunch of twunts.

In reality, I had built up an image in my head of what the band were like, and this was shattered when I saw what their true image was, much to my disdain. Of course this reinforces your point that image and music are intrinically linked.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1343729221' post='1754155']

[/quote]

You look like a larger, less good looking version of me :D

***Harp glissando*** .....as we are transported back to the 80s, where I used to wear a German jet pilot's overall, cartridge belt around the waist, a silver bow tie made from the left over stuff they stamp sequins out from, bright orange fluorescent streaks in the hair, and black glitter infused nail polish. On stage I wore an M&S blazer and a pair of beige Burtons slacks. :mellow:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1343747275' post='1754548']
***Harp glissando*** .....as we are transported back to the 80s, where I used to wear a German jet pilot's overall, cartridge belt around the waist, a silver bow tie made from the left over stuff they stamp sequins out from, bright orange fluorescent streaks in the hair, and black glitter infused nail polish. On stage I wore an M&S blazer and a pair of beige Burtons slacks. :mellow:
[/quote]

So you dressed down a bit for stage?

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1343747503' post='1754556']
So you dressed down a bit for stage?
[/quote]

:P Not really no - it's was the pilot's overall gear for the stage. I was a bit untruthful about the blazer and slacks - never owned either as far as I know. Only photo I've got that shows some of the get-up....

I thought it was a good idea at the time. :rolleyes: