Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

well i've spent a lot of time learning new stuff recently, but this one has really gotten quite addictive:

[url="http://www.last.fm/music/Sharon+Jones+and+the+Dap-Kings/_/Got+a+Thing+on+My+Mind"]'got a thing on my mind'[/url] by sharon jones and the dap-kings

simple and all the more fabulous for it.

x

"Made Up My Mind" by Savoy Brown. I don't normally play with a pick, so this one's taking some serious practice. Getting there though. Jammed it with a mate last week and he said that it was coming along nicely. It remains a struggle to maintain the rhythm though. More practice!

[quote name='JPJ' post='218792' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:20 PM']Readymade by RHCP (Stadium Arcadium disc 2)

A real finger workout for both left and right hands[/quote]
pity the song is pants :) RHCP pre 94 ftw

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='186303' date='Apr 27 2008, 09:14 AM']Brandi Carlile-The Story

Hardly difficult :) but a great song with the chance to really shine through the dynamic range of it.[/quote]

Good shout John,

Never heard of her before but just been listening to her on MySpace. Will definitely try some more of her stuff :huh:

Ramble On : Led Zep

I just like the feel of this tune, it's one I've been meaning to learn for years. Finally got round to it the other night while learning another tune for the band. Doubt if it'll ever be played live tho, we probably do enuff Zep already.( Can you do too much Zep? hmmmmmm!)

[quote name='pockethammer' post='218843' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:35 PM']Ramble On : Led Zep

I just like the feel of this tune, it's one I've been meaning to learn for years. Finally got round to it the other night while learning another tune for the band. Doubt if it'll ever be played live tho, we probably do enuff Zep already.( Can you do too much Zep? hmmmmmm!)[/quote]

I'm learning that one at the moment too! Was inspired to after having seen JPJ with the foos last sat. In his own, understated way, JPJ is actually quite difficult to imitate (well for me anyway, I've only been playing 2 1/2 years self-taught).

I sat down and worked out [i]Heart's Desire[/i] by Don Blackman a couple of days ago.

My ear's not great so I had to use Audacity. 7 notes in the first second made it very difficult to loop with iTunes. Once I slowed it down on Audacity I realised it wasn't actually that complicated.

[quote name='The Funk' post='218860' date='Jun 14 2008, 03:19 PM']I sat down and worked out [i]Heart's Desire[/i] by Don Blackman a couple of days ago.

My ear's not great so I had to use Audacity. 7 notes in the first second made it very difficult to loop with iTunes. Once I slowed it down on Audacity I realised it wasn't actually that complicated.[/quote]

Thanks for un-earthing that for me. Soon to be ordered from Amazon.

Im in the process of learning most of Bryan Adams' back catalogue. Ive just joined an established tribute act. Forgot how good a song writer ol Bryan is. Top tunes, the basslines are cool enough, John Paul Jones it aint but it'll do for now!!

Back to the MP3s

C

[quote name='metaltime' post='219219' date='Jun 15 2008, 02:22 PM']leper affinity- opeth now working on deliverance i think it will take a while[/quote]
Good luck man. :huh:

Myself, spookily I've been re-learning a bunch of RATM tracks too after going to see a Rage trib-act last weekend. But the honest answer to the question is not as cool -> the last song I learned was Seventeen by Ladytron (the Soulwax remix) not so much learn it as listen to it once then play it. :) I'm considering offering it up as cover for an up n coming gig. I reckon it might be a good surprise done as a balls out heavy cover.

[quote name='The Funk' post='219290' date='Jun 15 2008, 04:50 PM']Don't you mean [i]Forget Me Nots[/i] by Patrice Rushen?[/quote]

couldnt remember what the original was so downloaded will smith and learnt that.

thanks to your reply i have now downloaded and learnt the original, cheers :)

will smith version is in F, patrice version in F# :huh: