Why become a member? ×

What's the last bassline you learned?

Doc B

Porcupine Tree - Halo. Great track with an interesting, funky bass part.

Rainbow - Stargazer. Epic track! Bass part more complex and intricate than I imagined!

Blue Oyster Cult - Good to feel hungry. Good track with a good bass part.

It Bites - Once around the world. Difficult, complex and VERY long!

Dream Theater - Pull me under. Jesus. Unnecessarily complex and very hard to pick out the bass part. What's the point of a bass line that just follows exactly what the guitar plays?? Get an octaver ffs!!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='alexharvay' post='718713' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:34 AM']Sing it back - Moloko. Harder then I first thought.[/quote]

Yeah! I had to learn that one for an audition a few years ago. Great groove and cool bass part, but as you say - harder than it sounds!!

[quote name='Conan' post='719053' date='Jan 20 2010, 02:29 PM']Yeah! I had to learn that one for an audition a few years ago. Great groove and cool bass part, but as you say - harder than it sounds!![/quote]

That main part is quite similar to 'Lady (Hear Me Tonight) by Modjo.

• 1 month later...

Currently learning Free Bird hahaha. I want to look for a covers band so I'm learning the usual cover band staples (Sweet Home Alabama to follow (groan) then Alright Now next (double groan))

The bass lines are actually quite good but I don't think I'm going to remember every single lick so I'll probably just learn the basic riff and improv.

This week I ave been mostly learnin' the Garbage back catalogue.
Loving the bassline for Cherry Lips by Ms. Manson and co.
Think it was that bloke with the weird hair-Justin Meldal-Johnson who did most of the newer tracks.
Great stuff!

Also been messing with Rezillos and Florence and The Machine stuff for some reason

Retro Rockets by The Stranglers (new track). Also still trying to learn "Atomic" by Blondie as the band I have joined play it. Doesn't help when I learn the original, then they say "oh we play the live version, played a whole step down, from a couple of years ago" - it's hard enough as it is!!! (well it is to me anyway!)