Why become a member? ×

Speaker Cables

HotelEcho

Ok, so they're a pretty boring but essential element in your setup - does anyone have any preferences for speaker cables from one manufacturer over any of the others?

I've been looking at Bass Direct's Pro Series speakon leads, but I'm slightly sceptical at spending £35 on a 1.5m lead when I'm dubious about any real differences between the majority of leads on the market.

So, anyone got ant favourite cables they want to tell the rest of us about??

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1343050060' post='1744280']
Allow me to be the first of many to recommend Obbm's cables to you :) He is a member on here and his cables are fantastic and great value too!

Edit for link to his site: [url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

+1

Can make to any spec too, as far as I can tell :)

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1343049091' post='1744242']
does anyone have any preferences for speaker cables from one manufacturer over any of the others?
[/quote]Copper is copper. All you want to be sure of is adequate gauge, 16 will do for 1.5m, and the use of Neutrik connectors. Since Neutriks are more expensive than generic el-cheapos if they're employed it's a safe bet that the cable is also of decent quality.
[quote]I'm slightly sceptical at spending £35 on a 1.5m lead [/quote]As you should be, for that length it's at least twice what you should spend.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Indeed, if you were to have typed the word 'cables' into the search box, predictive text would have written 'OBBM'. :)

If you are particularly good at soldering, or it is a skill you want to learn or practice, it is possible to make decent ones with quality components. I did for a while but have now seen sense. Off the peg IME you simply cannot get better for the money and the service is second to none.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1343051177' post='1744306']
+1
Can make to any spec too, as far as I can tell :)
[/quote]
[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1343050060' post='1744280']
Allow me to be the first of many to recommend Obbm's cables to you :) He is a member on here and his cables are fantastic and great value too!
Edit for link to his site: [url="http://bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343051795' post='1744319']
[b][size=5]OBBM! :D[/size][/b]
[/quote]

Precisely this!

His prices are excellent and his cables are superb! Service is top notch and speed of delivery is outstanding!!

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned [b]OBBM[/b] as a source for cables. They are top-rate, fairly priced, delivered rapidly (yes, even to France..!); I cannot rate his services highly enough. Look no further, folks. Shame he's not more appreciated here; I would have thought it was a no-brainer.
Oh, yes, and there's [b]OBBM[/b], too. Worth looking into, if it's cables you're after.
(Did I mention OBBM..? Thought not. Well here goes then. [b]OBBM[/b] for all your cable needs. Can't be bettered...)

[i]This message comes to you from the Friends Of [b]OBBM[/b] Society (FOOS...)[/i].

I've kept that link thanks but all I've bought are shop cables so far... The last was a retro looking Fender Custom Shop cable in the smallest length I could find as I'm told that the smaller cable you can get away with the better the signal. One thing that I've been thinking about though is that i used to get gold plated connections for my tv surround/ play station etc.... Not seen any gold plated bass ones in the shops... How come as I thought you'd get a better signal etc with them ?..

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1343069408' post='1744784']
I've kept that link thanks but all I've bought are shop cables so far... The last was a retro looking Fender Custom Shop cable in the smallest length I could find as I'm told that the smaller cable you can get away with the better the signal. One thing that I've been thinking about though is that i used to get gold plated connections for my tv surround/ play station etc.... Not seen any gold plated bass ones in the shops... How come as I thought you'd get a better signal etc with them ?..
[/quote]

Not to derail the thread too much, but the picture from my Xbox 360 looks exactly the same (connected to a samsung hd tv) using my mates £80 gold plated HDMI cable as it does using my 10p HDMI cable off amazon :P same when I use it to connect my laptop, I can't see any difference in quality. Sure if you are using like 5-10 metres of it, then there might be a difference, but the picture I get is crystal clear, so I'm happy.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1343069408' post='1744784']
[/quote]Cables should be kept as short as you need them because longer cables are extra cost and kit that you don't need. Gold plating doesn't corrode, but unless your installation is on a boat or in a beach house that's not a concern. Overpriced/overhyped cables are the number one ripoff in the world today, don't believe 1/10th of what you see in advertising for them.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1343079653' post='1745056']
Cables should be kept as short as you need them because longer cables are extra cost and kit that you don't need. Gold plating doesn't corrode, but unless your installation is on a boat or in a beach house that's not a concern. Overpriced/overhyped cables are the number one ripoff in the world today, don't believe 1/10th of what you see in advertising for them.
[/quote]

+ 1

There is a vast amount of audiotardery around at the moment. £3000 kettle leads with claims that they can filter all the crap from the mains; "audiophile" USB cables and....

Audiophile fuses! £60 fecking quid for a single 3A fuse, and the magazine cocknockers claim they can hear a difference even when no proper testing lab on earth can.

I'll buy a £3000 Russ Andrew kettle lead when it makes my tea taste better and not before!

You really can't argue with all of the OBBM endorsements on here; if I was looking now it's the way I would go.
But I still have 4 x excellent cables I made up from Klotz cable off the reel (at Scayles Edinburgh since you ask) and Neutrik jacks. I think the oldest pair are about 15 years old.