Why become a member? ×

Thoughts of the day.... racist basses and also amp malarky.

LukeFRC

Two things struck me today.

No three

One is it rained all day. :(

Two, there are an awful lot of really really nice amps in the sale section at the moment. It's not a forum I've been for a year or so and there is some good stuff out there. I like my amp but made me think about a downgrade! (I only use half my amp)

and three

Brubaker - i know Nothing about the basses, or the company or anything- but anyone know much about them... seem popular in gospel music

Edited by LukeFRC

It's just that they're popular with a particular style of US gospel player, isn't it? Musical genres are affected by a players background, and instruments often develop a genre-specific following, so it's not really that odd that they have that association.
I saw an interview with Cordell Mosson (from Funkadelic) where he mentioned getting some stick from his bandmates for playing a Rickenbacker as it was deemed to be a Rock bass and not suitable for Funk, so genre stereotyping of instruments is not a new phenomenon.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1342692243' post='1739302']
...he mentioned getting some stick from his bandmates for playing a Rickenbacker as it was deemed to be a Rock bass and not suitable for Funk, so genre stereotyping of instruments is not a new phenomenon.[/quote]

I don't see the RIckenbacker as a Rock bass, particularly. I see it more as a bass for the sort of player who likes to [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] Ha, ha, ha! :lol: :unsure:

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1342697011' post='1739418'] Please close this, and any racial posts ASAP .( I know it's not intended on a bad way, but it all ends up badly, Let's keep things upbeat , remember what kiwi said ,) [/quote]

ahh.... yes, suddenly realised how in internet land this could get twisted around.
It was more an innocent comment on the users of basses than anything else based on my youtube searching. the whole funkadelic/rickenbacker thing also, it's kinda interesting isn't it? like different music uses different instruments, and different things become popular in different places- but I guess we/the net isn't mature enough to talk about race without it be coming racist. oh well

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1342699005' post='1739469']
ahh.... yes, suddenly realised how in internet land this could get twisted around.
It was more an innocent comment on the users of basses than anything else based on my youtube searching. the whole funkadelic/rickenbacker thing also, it's kinda interesting isn't it? like different music uses different instruments, and different things become popular in different places- but I guess we/the net isn't mature enough to talk about race without it be coming racist. oh well
[/quote]
That's because it's not about 'race' it's about genre of music.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1342699218' post='1739476']
That's because it's not about 'race' it's about genre of music.
[/quote] Yeah, I get your point and see how it can have been interoperated that way
on the other hand music genres are sociological phenomena created by a culture or society- of which ethnicity plays a part.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1342700952' post='1739530']
I suspect lots of BC members are 'Guardianreadery' - I mean, bass players are supposed to be thinkers aren't they? :)

I don't read The Guardian, but only because I don't have the time :unsure:
[/quote]

I don't read The Guardian either, but only becoz I kant reed,

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1342692243' post='1739302']
I saw an interview with Cordell Mosson (from Funkadelic) where he mentioned getting some stick from his bandmates for playing a Rickenbacker as it was deemed to be a Rock bass and not suitable for Funk, so genre stereotyping of instruments is not a new phenomenon.
[/quote]

Yeah, Rickenbacker had been a stereo type bass for a long time.