Why become a member? ×

Fender Ashtray and Neck pickup covers on a jazz bass

dakanoosh

Personally I love the look of a J or P bass with those big chrome covers on them, just wondering if they will fit on every Fender jazz bass, also what do people think about them and would they put them on their own Jazz bass!

Image below if your not sure what I mean

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1342609686' post='1737745']
I have a set, took the neck one off though, just kept getting in the way. Love the look of them :)
[/quote]

Yeah i can imagine them being a pain to play, don't know i guess I will have to try them out on a jazz with them already attached before I go and take a drill to my bass.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1342610086' post='1737756']
I believe that the Jazz bridge pickup has some variation, Google "70s pickup spacing" or something for details. I'd imagine that the one closer to the bridge is better suited to having a cover.

I love the look, and gig my chromed-up P with no issues at all
[/quote]
I'll have a search around, I'm using an American Deluxe Jazz and was more worried if the actual size of the bridge could be a factor.

They look cool in place, but the space available between them for plucking the strings is very narrow. That's the main reason a lot of people remove one or both of them.

On the d 60's basses there was a strip of foam glued to the underside of the bridge cover - it was designed to deaden the strings for more of an upright bass type of sound.

As for the 60's vs 70's spacing - Fender moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge so that the pickup mounting lugs didn't protrude out of the cover.

Personally, ive been using my Jazz Basses with the neck cover in place (like Marcus Millar) and find it kinda cool.

It's all down to person taste

I'd try them out before committing with your drill as an American Jazz Deluxe has a shorter body than the 'normal' body and so might start looking a bit busy and with only a small gap for you to actually play.

They are nice but there's a reason why most people took them off. In the old days, I suppose it had to do with a little bit of rebellion against 'smart' looking things (bit like boy racers taking hubcaps and bumpers off their cars when I was a lad).

I had pup covers on mine (75 Jazz). The neck pup cover was handy for resting my wrist/hand on when slapping(although I found it had made me a bit lazy with regards to technique when I started slapping my other pupcoverless planks of wood).
The bridge pup cover just gets in the way when you want to play near to the bridge for a different tone flavour.

But they certainly look good!

Edited by Bloc Riff Nut

I have the bridge cover on my jazzs and if they are not on when I get them I put them on , if I have to drill holes so be it ! Love them , wish the pickup covers didn't get in the way so much or I would have them on too!

I never took them off my 1974 Jazz from new. Ever. Lucky I never wanted to change the strings. Lucky I never needed any adjustments either. Got so used to playing all styles with them on. Never got in the way for me at all. You folks will probably think this is strange behaviour.

CB

Had them on my 78 Jazz: they looked great, but were in the way all the time, they just didn't suit my playing. Having said that, neither did the Jazz, much, so I sold it. Don't like the look of them on a P, so I've never fitted them.

[quote name='dakanoosh' timestamp='1342610267' post='1737761']
I'll have a search around, I'm using an American Deluxe Jazz and was more worried if the actual size of the bridge could be a factor.
[/quote]

Yeah defo try before drilling into such a nice bass.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1342633597' post='1738413']
pupcoverless planks of wood).
[/quote]

Brilliant terminology! Love it

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1342618343' post='1737961']
Tried them for about 5 minutes but they seemed to everywhere I wanted to be. Thumb rest came off too, so now they're in a safe place to go back on if I sell the basses.
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='dakanoosh' timestamp='1342610133' post='1737758']

Yeah i can imagine them being a pain to play, don't know i guess I will have to try them out on a jazz with them already attached before I go and take a drill to my bass.
[/quote]

Stick them on with masking tape and see if it works for you. I just found them annoying and ditched them