Why become a member? ×

Fender Ashtray and Neck pickup covers on a jazz bass

dakanoosh

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387558097' post='2313389']
The thing that surprised me when I tried a bass with them on was not the restricted access to the strings, but the weight of them causing the bass to roll forward away from me onto my lap. I don't know how that affects playing one on a strap.

They do make a bass a little more ungainly, but they are a cool as anything! For a warts-and-all 'vintage' style bass, I'd have them on, I reckon.
[/quote]mine hardly weigh anything?

I've got a few sets of Fender Jazz Bass ashtrays here at home. Both covers weigh less than a single pickup. To cause a bass to "roll forward", they'd need to be made out of a couple of bricks

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20131222_113249.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/Mobile%20Uploads/20131222_113249.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1387712555' post='2314759']
I've got a few sets of Fender Jazz Bass ashtrays here at home. Both covers weigh less than a single pickup. To cause a bass to "roll forward", they'd need to be made out of a couple of bricks
[/quote]
I was so intrigued i just weighed the ashtray and pickup cover from my 1974 Fender Jazz and together they weigh just 170 grams (less than 6 ounces). They are so light that they might well blow away in a strong wind!

Edited by BetaFunk

Back to the OP, as others have said I think they look super cool B) and had persevered with the bridge cover for a while now, although I've been depping lately with a band that plays lots of punk/indie stuff so have since removed the bridge cover as I like the tonal change when playing nearer the bridge.

Point worth mentioning also, if you've got a Jazz with a Badass bridge fitted, the F stamped bridge cover wont fit. :)