Why become a member? ×

Mark King

loki

I live on the Isle of Wight and run a little facebook group called 'Isle of Wight Bass Players'.

We've got just over 100 members (most of whom know each other!) and our un-official patron has always been Mark King.
Mark is from the Isle of Wight and still lives here so it seemed only fitting that he should be our imaginary figurehead.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of hosting the Bestival Bands & DJ's Competition recently over here on the IOW (Bestival is a pretty big festival held over here in September and curated by Radio 1's Rob da Bank - This year Stevie Wonder is headlining) and Mark was one of the judges. Naturally we got talking and once I'd overcome my star-struck nerves, I mentioned that he was our 'un-official' patron.

Without even hesitating he said "oh well we had better make that official then!". Here's a pic to prove it! :)

[IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae185/mmmbeard/Dscf1899.jpg[/IMG]

The freak on the left is me:

[IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae185/mmmbeard/DSCF1901.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1341626138' post='1722113']
Is one of them in the Albert Hall?[/quote]

No, that was Hitler... or quite possibly a womble, I can't remember...

'One of Flea's balls was no ball at all, but the other won several prizes...'

...I'll get me underpants. :unsure:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='loki' timestamp='1341613667' post='1721974']

[/quote]

Good stuff Loki.
The top picture is great.
Notice how Mark's thumb and finger are primed for instant slap & pop Bass action.

Is that you knob or Mark's hanging out on the bottom picture ?

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341648739' post='1722190']
No, I think he lives in Nantuket. Over to you, discreet...[/quote]

I'm not rising to [i]that [/i]bait! :lol:
Anyway, it's well-known that Flea is in fact an old woman who lives in Ealing.

He recently opened a new charity shop here on the Island. Me, the missus and the boy went down to have a mooch and my intention was to shake his hand and have my photo taken with him. Unfortunately, I'm such a fanboy I couldn't muster the nerve! :blush: I am officially a 37 year old saddo! :rolleyes: Mrs. Smiff has been taking the p**s ever since... :lol:

I remember a few years ago a discussion on the internet about him being a bellend, apparently obsessed with making himself famous and insulting him for apparently being rude to someone in a segment of backstage footage from the 80's.

I was quite pleased to see this rubbished, as he has consistently showed himself to be a nice guy with a lot of time for his fans. Superb bass player too. Whilst most of the pop bass players of the 80's faded into obscurity, you'll still hear Mark King licks in the library of any competent bassist playing today! Top that etc etc