Why become a member? ×

We'd like your feedback on Neck Wood! SS1 Wenge vs Maple

Warwick_Official

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Hello Everyone![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]We'd like your feedback on what neck wood you'd like to see on a Streamer Stage 1 - 4, 5, and 6 string models.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes -OR- Wenge with a maple veneer layer added?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]What would YOU request? Thanks for your comments![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes[/size][/font][/color] - but only at the slimmer width of the older 90's models used to be. I borrowed one of these and loved the neck, would have been a real contender for when i was shopping around for a new one. Cant stand the baseball bat sized newer necks.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341331583' post='1717199']
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Hello Everyone![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]We'd like your feedback on what neck wood you'd like to see on a Streamer Stage 1 - 4, 5, and 6 string models.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes -OR- Wenge with a maple veneer layer added?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]What would YOU request? Thanks for your comments![/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

What about posting pictures ?

Sound & look are linked, aren't they ?

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1341331880' post='1717208']
[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes[/size][/font][/color] - but only at the slimmer width of the older 90's models used to be. I borrowed one of these and loved the neck, would have been a real contender for when i was shopping around for a new one. Cant stand the baseball bat sized newer necks.
[/quote]

longtimefred - Warwick offers 3 neck profiles on 4 string basses, with a 4th Broadneck profile on 5 and 6 string basses. You can view them here: http://warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=WOOD_NECK&submenuID=14620&katID=14626&cl=EN Thanks!

funny story springs to mind

i was in a workshop with a joiner (real old chap) making some kitchen worktops, i told him about my new sr505 with its laminated neck and how good it looked, he just looked at me and said so what happened they run of good wood so built yours from scraps ?

i like a stripy neck myself but that guys comment still makes me chuckle

how bout a wenge one ?

Wood? How primitive.

If you must use materials from the last century, what is the most sustainable? If this involves actually cutting down real trees, I'll take something sustainable and replantable over exotic jungle hardwoods every day of the week.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1341349623' post='1717654']
Wood? How primitive.

If you must use materials from the last century, what is the most sustainable? If this involves actually cutting down real trees, I'll take something sustainable and replantable over exotic jungle hardwoods every day of the week.
[/quote]I wouldn't.
edit: Last century? Try every century.

Edited by lettsguitars

I would like to see both as equally priced option! IMO you can't have a maple neck on a Warwick without a maple fingerboard.

I've had two Corvette $$ 5ers now, my first one was Wenge with Ovangkol and my current one is Flame Maple neck with Birdseye Maple fingerboard, now that's nice :)

Both are different in their own ways, but it should be a free option!

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1341334032' post='1717267']
I'd much prefer Wenge. All maple is too vanilla...you need some choc too!

And what is Ekanga anyway?? Sounds made up to me.
[/quote]

You are sort of right about ekanga actually. I looked in to this when I reviewed a rather funky Warwick Rockbass in the massive iGuitar Magazine in my bass section. Warwick are a brilliant eco-friendly company who like to save (and not waste) as much product as possible. Offcuts and shavings of quality wood are 'reformed' in to a new composite that Hans-Peter himself (I believe this to be true) named Ekanga! I understand that because only a little is used in each instrument that it is said to be 'tonally inert'. Frankly, I think this is a brilliant bit of recycling and great to see guitar companies thinking green!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341331583' post='1717199']

[/quote]
[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1341349623' post='1717654']
Wood? How primitive.

[/quote]

I think there is a strong case for you as a company going for, like pete says, the most sustainable option.
Can we have a brief rundown of streamer stage ones?

1983 - cherry body / wenge with maple laminates.

by 1989... maple body, wenge with maple neck

by 1991... and this is my bass :D :D the maple body still but the neck is now maple with wenge, not the other way around... the Jamiroquai fella's streamer was one of these i'm pretty sure.

now I'm pretty sure they changed enough of the design about 1997 to keep stuart spector happy, I'm not sure what. but this 2005 (apparently) streamer is the current (?) version with thin thin Ekanga vaneer stripes. all maple.
One thing I notice with the more recent ones is that the amount of figuring in the wood seems to have increased. If you look at my one it's almost an afterthought were as the current ones make more of a feature of it.

What would I like? What sounds best? I would love to try a wenge neck SS1 either an old one or the special edition reissue from this year. But... I wonder if the "streamer sound" is all maple now? I think it was phased out as it is hard to get- and warwick should follow their environmental streak with that and keep it maple.
Though if you do have a stash of wenge.... wenge necks back on the NT thumbs would be nice! :)

LukeFRC, thanks for your feedback. Any changes done in regards to Spector were in the 80's, and it was very simple as the basses were made from completely different woods to begin with. And as far as figuring in the wood....MANY things have changed over the years, especially in the last 4. We are focused on building with the highest quality materials, and quality control is at an all-time high. Even though we have highly advanced machines, we spend more time per bass than ever before...3x more. We have incredibly skilled craftsman hand-working the basses every step of the way. Although we've always been proud of our product, the instruments we are producing today are far greater quality than anything in the past. Not only do we have Wenge...we have FSC-certified Wenge! Thanks again for your comments.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341357350' post='1717821']
we have FSC-certified Wenge!
[/quote]

LIKE! :D

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1341357350' post='1717821']
Any changes done in regards to Spector were in the 80's, and it was very simple as the basses were made from completely different woods to begin with.
[/quote] heheh they just looked the same. :D tilted tuners look cooler mind ;)

I've had my 2001 Streamer LX5 from new and inspite of many basses coming and going over the years, this has been and will always be my 'go to' bass of choice. Most of the other basses have gone now (to make way for bikes, of course!) so the Warwick gets used all the time for the simple fact it always works and in any situation. I've gigged it up and down the country in a number of outfits and I'm still as pleased with it today as I was back in '01.

With regards to the wood choice, I would have to say Wenge is the only option, I consider it to be a signature Warwick thing. My friend Will (longtimefred) commented on the maple necked bass he borrowed and said it was slightly lacking. We compared that one with my LX thought mine sounded much more 'Warwicky' for want of a better phrase.

I'd love to see a "modern" version of graphite - some form of epoxy resin/wood fibre material. I've tried a few carbon fibre instruments over the years and the only one that sounded great to me was a Zon. The recipe they used for the neck material just sounded more natural, but with the good aspects of carbon fibre as well.

Given Warwicks' environmental efforts it would be fantastic if they could really look into an "eco-version" of the carbon fibre idea - recycled wood fibre made into synthetic super-wood.

Just a thought....