Why become a member? ×

We'd like your feedback on Neck Wood! SS1 Wenge vs Maple

Warwick_Official

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1341386133' post='1717931']
I'd love to see a "modern" version of graphite - some form of epoxy resin/wood fibre material. I've tried a few carbon fibre instruments over the years and the only one that sounded great to me was a Zon. The recipe they used for the neck material just sounded more natural, but with the good aspects of carbon fibre as well.

Given Warwicks' environmental efforts it would be fantastic if they could really look into an "eco-version" of the carbon fibre idea - recycled wood fibre made into synthetic super-wood.

Just a thought....
[/quote] not for the stage one but thats an amazing idea!

Wenge all the way for tone, however the SS1 looks great all maple, plus it's good to have a bit of variety in the range in sound and looks, so my vote would be to stick with the maple...

Eude

I'm sorry but stripy necks are such a cliché now. I know that building a laminated neck has structural advantages, but how about disguising it rather than making it (IMO) an ugly feature. There are manufacturers who do this already so it's not impossible.

As for the woods - so long as the neck is structurally sound, pick something that looks nice and isn't going to feel sticky.

Edited by BigRedX

Sorry, but I have to disagree. IMO it's lazy and because it's so common now it's boring.

I have basses with laminated necks (from Overwater and Pedulla) where the luthiers have done a great job of disguising the fact through the careful selection of pieces used and finishing. It can be done and it doesn't need to compromise the structural integrity.

By all means continue make instruments with stripy neck for those that want them, but for those of us who think it became old and tired some time in the mid 80s lets have an alternative.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341393966' post='1718094']
Sorry, but I have to disagree. IMO it's lazy and because it's so common now it's boring.

I have basses with laminated necks (from Overwater and Pedulla) where the luthiers have done a great job of disguising the fact through the careful selection of pieces used and finishing. It can be done and it doesn't need to compromise the structural integrity.

By all means continue make instruments with stripy neck for those that want them, but for those of us who think it became old and tired some time in the mid 80s lets have an alternative.
[/quote]
The streamer is an 80's (well 70's really) design, and has always had stripy necks. The fender jazz has had a bolt on one piece flat sawn maple neck, did that get tired sometime in the 60's? Status, are still using graphite, stuck in the 80's also, yawn.
You don't like it, great but I don't get why it would be such a great issue that stripy necks are automatically worse than ones that match. My guess is that if you wanted a streamer shaped bass without the stripes you would get a spector (and it wouldn't surprise me that one of the design differences that got spector off their back was multi laminate necks, so they may be tied to having them ;) )