Why become a member? ×

few fretless questions..

clashcityrocker

Hey all,been thinking of getting a cheaper bass to use in the punkier of my two bands and just wondered can you play fast heavy punk on a fretless?! And does playing one require a lot more skill as I guess the notes have to be played perfect as to be bang on the note. Have never played one as you can probs guess!
Any advice would be great
Si

I don't see any reason why not, claypool uses one in primus and plays slap on it.
As for playing them, I'd played fretted for about 10 years before so I had the muscle memory and so it didn't take a huge amount of time to get used to. Otherwise it's practice practice practice. They're great fun and I havent looked back after getting one.
If you're in the north east (no boat needed now) you're welcome to try mine.

Dan

If you are going to play it in a punky band then I don't think the intonation thing will be too much of a problem. There will be too much noise going on and that will cover up any slightly out of tune notes. Just go for it.

I can't think of any punk bands that have used fretless basses.

Maybe there is a reason for this or maybe it would add to the unique appeal of your band.

If you're considering a lined fretless, you might want to consider defretting a cheapo fretted bass

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1341081011' post='1713696']
I saw jack Bruce last year,swear he had a fretless warwick and I really didn't like the tone,thought maybe it was due to too much treble on a fretless?!
[/quote]

He has his own signature Warwick. I've never really liked his tone either. I don't think it's the best tone you can get out a fretless. But then he must like it and that's fine for him.

Playing fretless usually means that you have to clearly hear every note so you can pitch, but I guess in Punk this won't matter as much?

I’d go for a lined fretless so you can at least see where the notes are even if you can’t hear them.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1341416113' post='1718660']
I can't think of any punk bands that have used fretless basses.
[/quote]

Not exactly punk but all the early Police stuff was done on fretless including the rockier songs.

Also David J from Bauhaus.

of course you can do punk with a fretless though mind you attack is not the strong side of frettless and I guess that's why they are less common in harder music. It depends a lot on what you want, and how you play it, what pickups and pickup positions they have, and active / passive / preamp makes a huge difference too. I'd say go for the defret cheapo but you gotta just try a fretless, you won't be looking back much they're just so much more expressive (which again is probably not really needed in punk) so be warned, too, you might end up playing ... uhm.... jazz....

Go for it , I played a whole gig with my unlined jazz a couple of weeks after getting it , never played one before and it worked out fine , you will be amazed at what you know without even looking !

when it comes to lined to unlined fretless basses, I feel the same thing as Lee Sklar - my intonation is noticeably better on unlined. Maybe because on lined, I "listen" to the pitch with my eyes, while on unlined I don't have that crutch.

Do it! Play fretless in a punk band for the sole reason that someone just said that it's not appropriate. Unless you agree that punk is all about rules, traditions and convenanses, then a P-bass is a wise choice.

Other than that, a Jazz Bass, as the name implies is quite perfect for punk.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1341523847' post='1720606']
Do it! Play fretless in a punk band for the sole reason that someone just said that it's not appropriate. Unless you agree that punk is all about rules, traditions and convenanses, then a P-bass is a wise choice ......
[/quote]

You don't look very punk Such. Punk also isn't about prissy explanations either. Fretless not punk.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1341525217' post='1720634']
You don't look very punk Such. Punk also isn't about prissy explanations either. Fretless not punk.
[/quote]

Neither do you :)
I don't, because I'm not. Still, I feel that large part of it is all about going against the grain. And if OP felt that this particular instrument choice is something he feels curious about trying, I want to encourage him. Especially loving fretless as much as I do.

Peace :)

I say why not,too!
Punk (rock generaly) is about MAKING music,not going along the rules,otherways play classical! xD
-Take care that the fretboard will be hard enough,or (cheapo or not) you spend your money for nothing,
better look for a better than cheapo,used fretless bass that will hold the strings a beat longer... ;-)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1341525217' post='1720634']
[/quote]

Please tell me you're being ironic.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1341526468' post='1720658']
Is it not 35 years too late for a punk band?

CB
[/quote]

No.