Why become a member? ×

few fretless questions..

clashcityrocker

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1341559684' post='1720822']
I play in a punk-ish band and did a gig with a fretless. Sounded great, didn't use a plectrum either.

If you want to do it then do it. Sod everyone who says not to.
[/quote]

Exactly, why try and limit music.

Punk means not doing what you are told. It's about attitude. There aren't any reasons why you shouldn't play punk on fretless, or cello or bloomin nose flute, or tuba. If you are feelin punk - then punk it what you will make. The sound is in your hands, the instrument is simply there to amplify it.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1341523847' post='1720606']
Do it! Play fretless in a punk band for the sole reason that someone just said that it's not appropriate.
[/quote]

:yarr:

sound advice.

Though you should disregard it for the same reason...

Have you considered trying an EUB? It's fretless and can by bowed, plucked, slapped or whatever - you'd be the Nigel Kennedy of the bass and achieve post-punk-proto-precision-popping-plectumising-pop-progressive- passionate - perfection. OK, I'm back off to my softroom now for a little lie down.

Do it my friend - you only live once.

If you're playing in a punk band, perhaps the nut is the only fret you'll ever need. Think of all the fun to be had with E-flat A-flat D (lucky) and G-sharp.

Just joking of course (as was my previous comment about the good ship Venus having already set sail 35 years ago.

In an ideal world, choice of a fretless should be less about genre and more about the idea you create for a particular song needing to be played on a fretless.

Just my HO.

CB

Edited by cloudburst