Why become a member? ×

WHAT SOUNDCONTROL RIG?

HarryPotter

OK, so the boys at SC have 2 years 0% APR on this week, and it's just too good an offer not to look into.

What rig, up to say £600 would you pick from their range?

I'm a precision kind of guy and like the Classic British Tone kind of thing.

I'd also like it to be (one fat) man portable please.

TIA

[quote name='Machines' post='183937' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:41 PM'][url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=10"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.as...n=abm&ID=10[/url]

No bias of course.[/quote]

MB1. :)
+TWELVETY.....me neither! :huh:

[quote name='Machines' post='183937' date='Apr 23 2008, 04:41 PM'][url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=10"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.as...n=abm&ID=10[/url]

No bias of course.[/quote]
None whatsoever from me either. :)

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='183498' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:59 AM']I'd also like it to be (one fat) man portable please.[/quote]
Guaranteed. I speak from [s]bitter[/s] lager experience. :huh:

Edited by johnnylager

My advice is if they are anything like they are in Glasgow or Dundee for service, go elsewhere.

I've been to the Jamaica street store in Glasgow & the Dundee store quite a few times with every intention of making a purchase & each time walked out empty handed due to the staff being totally uninterested, uninformative & just plain ignorant. SC was good in the 90's too.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='183498' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:59 AM']OK, so the boys at SC have 2 years 0% APR on this week, and it's just too good an offer not to look into.

What rig, up to say £600 would you pick from their range?

I'm a precision kind of guy and like the Classic British Tone kind of thing.

I'd also like it to be (one fat) man portable please.

TIA[/quote]
sc in norwich were doing abm combo's for £629 but would go lower than that they are getting a bit desperate so do alot of haggling.i dealt with the manager who was most helpful and the most knowledgeable.

Edited by bassmansky

[quote name='xgsjx' post='184054' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:38 PM']My advice is if they are anything like they are in Glasgow or Dundee for service, go elsewhere.

I've been to the Jamaica street store in Glasgow & the Dundee store quite a few times with every intention of making a purchase & each time walked out empty handed due to the staff being totally uninterested, uninformative & just plain ignorant. SC was good in the 90's too.[/quote]

glasgow one has its days, the bass dude can be a nice bloke but i know what you mean bout them seeming uninterested.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='184054' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:38 PM']My advice is if they are anything like they are in Glasgow or Dundee for service, go elsewhere.

I've been to the Jamaica street store in Glasgow & the Dundee store quite a few times with every intention of making a purchase & each time walked out empty handed due to the staff being totally uninterested, uninformative & just plain ignorant. SC was good in the 90's too.[/quote]

thats a wee bit unfair re Glasgow.

oli and the boys have done extremely well for me over the years and stevie in otago street is an absolute star.

its a shame you encountered this.

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='184129' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:25 PM']thats a wee bit unfair re Glasgow.

oli and the boys have done extremely well for me over the years and stevie in otago street is an absolute star.

its a shame you encountered this.

andy[/quote]
The bass guy in my local SC is mint, really friendly guy, we're actually on first name terms, it's just a shame SC as a company couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

[quote name='d-basser' post='184072' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:04 PM']glasgow one has its days, the bass dude can be a nice bloke but i know what you mean bout them seeming uninterested.[/quote]

Seconded. I have always found the bass guy in the Glasgow branch to be very friendly and helpful.

No bias from me either... get anything BUT Ashdown :)

Seriously though, BF is right. Try everything they've got in your price range. If you've got to buy online, try to get to a branch first for a try-out. Don't buy blind, it might end in tears.

I would also have to speak up for both branches in Glasgow. The lads have always given me good service. My main gripe is that their range of stock just isn't what it used to be. When I am ready to make a purchase I go to see what they have and am usually disappointed. I suspect that they have shifted the emphasis from one type of customer to another. It is some considerable time since I bought anything in Sound Control and I used to buy a lot from them.

I must admit fellas the Ashdowns do lok the bo!!ox to me but I am pretty sure that Ampeg seem to typify the tone that I carry around in my head.

And yes, I do intend to try before I buy, just a shame the local SC has so little bass stock in.

Thanks for the replies (I'm still tempted by a portable head and to build my own cabinets).