Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash No.6, Surrey, Saturday 29th September 2012

Hamster

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1349710944' post='1829449']

Yes, but that is too far from me, and wouldn't be an SE Bass Bash at all in that event.
[/quote]

Yes, I realise it wouldn't be a SE bash! :D I was just thinking that if we were talking about a National Bash, somewhere more central would be better.

What's the secret to organising a decent bass bash then SE BCers? We had one in Birmingham last November, but only 4 of us turned up! I would love to organise a bash of the same sort of caliber as the SE one, so any advice would be much appreciated!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1349726982' post='1829799']
Yes, I realise it wouldn't be a SE bash! :D I was just thinking that if we were talking about a National Bash, somewhere more central would be better.

What's the secret to organising a decent bass bash then SE BCers? We had one in Birmingham last November, but only 4 of us turned up! I would love to organise a bash of the same sort of caliber as the SE one, so any advice would be much appreciated!
[/quote]

Location close to public transport. And tea and cakes, obviously.

The EABB doesn't get the same number of people turn up but we still have a good time the things to check are:
Venue!!! (Probably the most difficult bit)
Close to public transport
Advertisement
Timing (before or after a public holiday wont work)

It's the repeat customers where you'll do best though :)

[/quote]

There a number of BCers in Nottingham..Shep et al..target them..

Get in some good speakers..arrange some good seminars...lots of Tea/Coffee/cakes - some good raffle prizes, easy to access venue with free parking...

Hang on..aren't I just describing the SE Bash???

Seems to be a winning formula though..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1349723070' post='1829704']
Thanks for that. It might be nice to find someone in the Berks/Bucks region. I think there is a recommended Amp menders thread around here, I should have a look. Failing that I might have a few days away up North.
[/quote]
just a quick suggestion.......... bass centre tech chris does one day a week at their new location of bagshot ,which is just next to `berks`.....

hope this may help.........

I would advise checking attendance very closely before organising something, because there are always some participants who have to cancel at the last minute. What saves the SE Bash is that there are a lot of us in London and its western suburbs, and numbers never seem to dwindle too critically.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1349826445' post='1831158']
I would advise checking attendance very closely before organising something, because there are always some participants who have to cancel at the last minute. What saves the SE Bash is that there are a lot of us in London and its western suburbs, and numbers never seem to dwindle too critically.
[/quote]

I agree with this. Another thing is that the SE Bash has gained a bit of a reputation so some people travel a fair way to get there (eg from the Midlands or the South Coast).
I decided to travel down from Brum to attend last year becuase my Dad lives near the venue. But now I think I'd make the trip from Brum anyway, even if Dad didn't live in Surrey.
As it happend this year it took me less time to get there than some people coming from Croydon! :o

[/quote]

In my view, more than anything, it's people make events and we're very lucky with the SE Bash that we've had a number of very supportive local Basschatters who formed a sort of virtual committee a few years back to try to work out how to run the events. If one person has to do everything, it's not as likely to succeed because it's a lot of work.. Plus with more people, you have more good ideas, contacts, help on the day etc, etc..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1349804023' post='1830773']
There a number of BCers in Nottingham..Shep et al..target them..

Get in some good speakers..arrange some good seminars...lots of Tea/Coffee/cakes - some good raffle prizes, easy to access venue with free parking...

Hang on..aren't I just describing the SE Bash???

Seems to be a winning formula though..
[/quote]

Seems to good so far and I think the mix of activities has been vital to keeping people's interest going on the day, which is why there's still a strong turnout around 4pm when we do the Raffle..

But it'd be great to add more to the SE Bash next year to keep things interesting; particularly bearing in mind the facilities available at the venue.. perhaps some live performances would be good?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1349864067' post='1831393']
Another thing is that the SE Bash has gained a bit of a reputation so some people travel a fair way to get there (eg from the Midlands or the South Coast).
[/quote]

(cough)North Yorkshire(cough)

;)

Though Im really sad I couldnt make it this year, Ive done the previous two and the SE bash really is a great day / weekend out.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1349894028' post='1831975']
National bass bash sounds like a great idea! Somewhere central between the top and bottom of the country, probably northish midlands, notts/derby/Sheffield so extreme south and north have equal chance of getting there?
[/quote]

Says the guy from sheffield :lol:

To be honest although the idea of a national bass bash is nice I doubt it would happen as:[list]
[*]It would have to have some significant value over another local bash
[*]Be guaranteed to get the attendance needed
[*]A bigger venue would be needed to host the "potential" for more people coming
[*]A national bass guitar show already exists above and beyond this scale
[/list]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1349945451' post='1832458']
To be honest although the idea of a national bass bash is nice I doubt it would happen as:[list]
[*]It would have to have some significant value over another local bash
[*]Be guaranteed to get the attendance needed
[*]A bigger venue would be needed to host the "potential" for more people coming
[*]A national bass guitar show already exists above and beyond this scale
[/list]
[/quote]

But how cool would it be to get all / almost all the UK members together...unprecedented?

For the benefit of the newer members, there were several national Bashes held at a hotel near Northampton, just off the M1. There were excellent turnouts at each one. An afternoon of gear looking at gear and noise making followed by everyone sitting down for a meal.

Inspired by these the regions decided to hold their own local Bashes.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1349958601' post='1832696']
For the benefit of the newer members, there were several national Bashes held at a hotel near Northampton, just off the M1. There were excellent turnouts at each one. An afternoon of gear looking at gear and noise making followed by everyone sitting down for a meal.

Inspired by these the regions decided to hold their own local Bashes.
[/quote]

Good point Dave! We took our lead from there really...