Why become a member? ×

Metal Basses

Ghetox

Contact Dood, he has been known to dabble ...... :) as has Bloodaxe.

They both use a variety of weaponry.... no particular bass has a "metal" sound but a lot of basses can be made to fit in....

Are you talking Trash? Grunge or Trad heavy rock? they all have slighty different sounds.

ESP

DEAN

IBANEZ

All make basses that are favoured by Heavy players, but Lemmy (Motorhead) plays a Rickenbacker....... And lots of guys play Fender.....

See the problem here?

Sorry if this sounds a bit opportunistic but I am selling a VERY metal bass on the Forum (link below). Spiky high gloss black ESP TA200, the cheap version of the bass played by Slayer's Tom Araya - with added red side dot LEDs!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17664"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17664[/url]

Cheers Clarky

Heres all mine :)

BC-Rich Eagle, USA NT Custom Shop 2003 NAAM Display Piece

BC-Rich Warlock NT 5 String.

BC-Rich Ironbird NJ BO series.

BC-Rich Ironbird USA BO.

BC-Rich Eagle NJ series BO

All metal machines (Though the eagles are more suited to funk.)

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

A lot of basses can be metal, my musicman cuts it pretty well for thrash with the bass boosted and a fair bit of treble, sounds really nice.
My tobias also sounds alright for really heavy stuff as it's just got such a deep sound to it, it also holds drop tunings really well, which the musicman doesn't as much.

Really i'd say anything with humbuckers and a neck you feel comfortable playing fast on.

Edited by budget bassist

I have an Ibanez Ergodyne EDC715 5 string with an active triple coil pickup. Bags of power and bottom end. Never seen another one though.... I've also got an Ironbird, but I find the pickup in mine (and old NJ) to be quite mellow, and I actually used it in a carol concert at my local church that I got roped into doing!!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='182506' date='Apr 22 2008, 07:46 AM']when i was in Balance of Silence i used my warwick FNA jazzman, a stingray and a status 6 string, all worked really well.[/quote]
When I was in death/thrash band NYX I used a Warwick Thumb 5. From surveying the bass magazines the most popular metal basses among the newer crop of hardcore bands are Warwicks and Ibanez's.

This is a relatively common question and from my own experience and what I've read from other people, soundwise, pretty much anything goes. Some metal types use Precisions, loads of metal types use Spectors or Warwicks, others go for Ibanez, some Music Man. Metal is such a broad genre, that it totally depends on what sound you're going for.

Looks-wise, if you're in a death metal band, you might opt for a B.C Rich to get that truly 'pointy' look. I think B.C. Rich basses look awesome, but have found the spikyness to be a bit of a hinderance playing-wise, but if looks were most important, I'd have to work around it!

[quote name='geilerbass' post='182537' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:59 AM']This is a relatively common question and from my own experience and what I've read from other people, soundwise, pretty much anything goes. Some metal types use Precisions, loads of metal types use Spectors or Warwicks, others go for Ibanez, some Music Man. Metal is such a broad genre, that it totally depends on what sound you're going for.[/quote]

I agree.... for more trad stuff I'd suggest a Precision, for a more grinding/growling tone I'd suggest a Spector and for a more toppy/clicky Nu-Metal tone I'd suggest a Warwick....

[quote name='cetera' post='182611' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:36 AM']I agree.... for more trad stuff I'd suggest a Precision, for a more grinding/growling tone I'd suggest a Spector and for a more toppy/clicky Nu-Metal tone I'd suggest a Warwick....[/quote]

sounds about right to me, also have a look at the bassists in bands you like and see what they use, pretty obvious but it works!

Most basses can work for most styles of metal. If you're going to be playing fast riffs in lower registers I'd recommend a bass with a fairly defined (not muddy) sound and pickups that don't "*choke" when you're playing fast.

* - I don't know what the technical phrase is... anyone know a better way to decribe what I mean?

[quote name='kingforaday' post='182628' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:02 AM']sounds about right to me, also have a look at the bassists in bands you like and see what they use, pretty obvious but it works![/quote]
Totally agree with this comment I've seen metal bass players go through the whole gammet of manufacturers from Ibanez, ESP, Fender, Warwick etc. I think the best way to go is to look at what your favourite metal bassist's are playing then take a trip down to a good music shop that has a good selection and just go and try them out. You're bound to find at least one that you will fall in love with!

Having been to a few Metal gigs in my time, and played in a Death Metal band, I can safely say that you can use almost anything! For example;

Pantera, Biohazard - Stingray V
Iron Maiden - Precision w BadAssII and Roto Flats and fingers
Deicide - a Rickenbacker (!)
RATM - Stingray (1st Album) Modded Jazzes thereafter
Stuck Mojo - Precision
One Minute Silence - Spectors then Warwicks
Snot - G&L
SOAD - Thunderbird (dropped BEAD?)

I know some of these aren't exactly up-to-the-minute, but it gives you an idea.
If you have limited resources, I would strongly recommend buying a bass that'll fit in well, whatever genre of music you may be playing. It gives you more flexibility.

Precision? Jazz? Stingray?
Corvette? Streamer? Thumb?
L2000? ASAT?
Various Ibanez- The ATKs in particular.

The more versatile the better.
Do bear in mind that your string choice/type/gauge can help to tailor the sound and feel of your chosen instrument, too.

Spector, for the Pantera, Metallica cutting pick tone. Dave Ellefson's also used one with Megadeth in the studio.
although you can get a usable tone from most basses if you put steel roundwounds on and boost the high mids.