Why become a member? ×

You are a real musician when...

Silvia Bluejay

When you class sleep on the road/in the green room as 'the norm' and look forward to the rare luxury of sleeping in your own bed!

Oh, and when the process of categorising a gig as 'good' or 'bad' is based solely on the rider.

Edited by skej21

You can listen to any piece of music in your collection in your head without needing any form of electronic device to help you at all - and its all exactly right in its entirety, and to pitch...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339667390' post='1692170']
When your biggest concern whilst re-arranging your bedroom, is the storage location of cases, and where you're going to put your stand.
[/quote]

Oh, so true! Am there right now. Finally arranging my living room, and the placement of the instruments overshadows everything else.

Also:

... when you play fourth saxophone in the big band and you're looking forward to the sax solo.

... when you understand above joke.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339674938' post='1692414']
True! I had a Dyson that was held together with gaffer tape for a whole month until the new part turned up.
[/quote]My bathroom tiles were held in place for several years with Gaffa. At least I chose white to match the tiles... jobs-a-goodun.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339667390' post='1692170']
When your biggest concern whilst re-arranging your bedroom, is the storage location of cases, and where you're going to put your stand. So far i still haven't got it fully worked out.

Liam
[/quote]

... which leads me to the fraught subject of finding a new house. Not just one that ticks the usual location, price, and environment boxes, but also has a ground floor layout convenient for using its biggest room as a studio.

... when you take the tram solely in order to listen to the screeching and beating sounds it makes. The working title of your new composition is "Trams", but it ends up as "Cryozygnic Structures IX".

... when buying a sofa, you're not as preoccupied with its comfiness as with how the arm rests and sides feel and sound when you're beating two handed rhythm patterns. (True story)

... when you buy a Vauxhall Corsa to transport your cello, and use that newfound freedom to buy an additional 88 key MIDI keyboard, which of course does not fit. (True story. I lost the hots for her when she did that. Sorry, love.)

... when practising at home on a Penderecki piece that he's gonna conduct himself, you teach yourself two versions: the real one and one a fifth higher or lower, just to test if he'll hear it. (Yes, true story again)

PS, he does. I [b]know[/b].

Edited for clarity in language. Futile, I know.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1339675524' post='1692438']
... which leads me to the fraught subject of finding a new house. Not just one that ticks the usual location, price, and environment boxes, but also has a ground floor layout convenient for using its biggest room as a studio.
[/quote]

Don't get me started...

Looking to rent with the GF for the first time (already rent by myself) and arguments are already abound. She tried to say I wouldn't get a music room, I pointed out that this would be fine if she doesn't mind me practicing in the living room.

I'm getting a music room now :D

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1339675524' post='1692438']
[/quote]

The upstairs of my house is perfect for that. The room i'm in is the biggest, and it shares a wall (insert window here) with my oldest brothers bedroom, which is the perfect size for a control room.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339675728' post='1692445']
The upstairs of my house is perfect for that. The room i'm in is the biggest, and it shares a wall (insert window here) with my oldest brothers bedroom, which is the perfect size for a control room.

Liam
[/quote]

Upstairs is OK until you get fed up with fetching stuff up & down the stairs whenever you go out to play, or when your recording gear is upstairs and you'd like to record the piano but you can't because it's downstairs. The other thing is you can't be on any adjoining wall which ideally means detached, restricts choice of semi or end-terrace, and precludes mid terrace.

Edited by musophilr

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1339675728' post='1692445']

Liam
[/quote]

[i]"Honest darlin', the garage door is knackered, it'll fall off the runners if I open it, and the car's too big to fit in it anyway with all my tools in there. Now if I was to seal it shut & insulate it I could get all this nasty musical stuff out of the way.[/i]" :happy:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1339676536' post='1692468']
[i]"Honest darlin', the garage door is knackered, it'll fall off the runners if I open it, and the car's too big to fit in it anyway with all my tools in there. Now if I was to seal it shut & insulate it I could get all this nasty musical stuff out of the way.[/i]" :happy:
[/quote]

This is my house.
(which sadly means i have to lug my gear out of the back door of the garage, and through the house to the front every time I have a gig, as my back garden is no place to be lugging gear).