Why become a member? ×

Bass player frontperson (first gig report post 65)

rOB

Evening all,

My new band (currently guitar, drums and bass) is really struggling to find a singer/frontperson. We've set up a bunch of jams/auditions and spoken to quite a few people but hardly anyone has turned up and nobody has worked out. It seems to be very different to jamming with a new musician.

Anyway we're working on material (alt rock/grunge) that I've written either for solo or for previous bands and so I've been filling in on vocals for the purposes of rehearsals as the songs we have aren't hugely challenging vocally. I'm getting frustrated with not having a singer as the rest of the band is getting towards gigging standard and I was thinking of suggesting that I give lead vocals a go for a bit and seeing how it goes until we find someone to fill that role.

I've previously been pushing the idea of a front person who can move around and engage the crowd and obviously I'll be tied to a mic stand so can't do that in the same way I was imagining. Also, I'd be nervous of being the front person, I've never done it before despite being in bands for years.

Basically 2 questions.
1) Any advice on finding a front person/singer and making meeting us an easy, comfortable experience?
2) If it comes down to it and I have to be the front person, any advice/examples of engaging bass player front people?

Thanks,

Edited by rOB

Thanks for all the examples, some I knew, some I didn't and will look up.

So next stage - advice on the visual elements of a front person performance for a shy bass player in a 3 piece band.

And also anyone got any advice on finding a front person/singer and making meeting us for a jam/audition an easy, comfortable experience?

Thanks again.

[quote name='lazzer' timestamp='1339528512' post='1690042']
Look no further than the late great Philip Parris Lynott!!
[/quote]

Phil had got the banter with the fans down to a tee. Everytime I saw him it was like you were catching up with an old mate.

I think many of us could be the lead singer - I have been - however being a front-man, because I class that as a different thing altogether, well that`s a different matter. It`s something within you that makes a front-man, someone who effortlessly gains a rapport with the audience. I`m happy to admit, I can be a lead singer, but not a front-man, I`m just not suited to that role.

In addition, I wouldn`t want the job of playing bass and doing lead vocs - a song here and there maybe - but too much potential for cross melodies etc.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339538817' post='1690373']

In addition, I wouldn`t want the job of playing bass and doing lead vocs - a song here and there maybe - but too much potential for cross melodies etc.
[/quote]

+1 to that.

I was (briefly) the Vocalist/Bassist in a three piece Garage Rock band a year or two ago and during that time, I gained a real admiration of people in that position. Strumming chords and singing isn't too tricky really, but playing a walking bassline (with a melody moving in the opposite direction to the vocal line) whilst singing is a real skill. And then, once that chore is over, you've got to engage the audience and be funny/enigmatic/cute...delete where applicable. On the plus side, I learned such a lot about stage craft in a few months - absolutely invaluable. Great brain training too. I found I had to connect the bassline to the vocal line mentally to get the best out of the song. I did have to knock a corner or two off a Bassline as it was all getting a bit contrapuntal...

My advice - try it. All the top role models have been mentioned, from Lemmy to Macca. (Personally, I'd add Steve Kilbey from The Church to the list too) so you know it can be done. You will learn so much and develop new skills. Carpe Diem and all that...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1339535141' post='1690259']
You need 3 sheds full of nazi memorabilia, facial hair and a huge wart. I reckon that'll do it.
[/quote]

If you're talking about Suzi Quatro, I'm gonna have to come over there and kick yer ass!

My advice if you're going to try and be the frontman, is to relax and enjoy it.
If you're struggling to talk to the audience in between numbers, shorten the gaps between the songs.
Make eye contact with people if something funny happens (someone trips over, spills their beer etc)
when someone shouts out '[size=5]YOU'RE SH1T'[size=2] [size=3]you can tell them, 'you're ugly but we can practice'[/size][/size][/size]

To add to those above-

Jack Bruce, I'd say had charisma, - he was also on a lot of drugs

& also Alan Lancaster the original Status Quo bassman who strode up to the mikestand back in the 70's

top tip- do the Phil Lynott machine-gun move!!!!

I'll confess, from personal experience, finding the right front person is the hardest task. Not only do they need to be able to sing - but they need the banter and presence to carry a crowd.

If you're picking someone else, there's plenty you can do to help them - keep them engaged; be there when they engage with the crowd; keep the energy up; build in time to rehearse some of those little tricks you might pull.

If it's you... I don't have any advice. I've not tried it yet. Backing vocals beckons, but I have this odd habit of stopping playing whilst singing, that I need to conquer first...

Thanks for your input everyone. Best solution is still finding someone else to do the front person thing, throw some shapes and be the centre of attention. The possibility that we can't/won't find anyone to do that is weighing on my mind and I want to get back on stage asap hence considering doing it myself.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1339535141' post='1690259']
You need 3 sheds full of nazi memorabilia, facial hair and a huge wart. I reckon that'll do it.
[/quote]
I have none of those things. hmmm, may struggle

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339538817' post='1690373']
I think many of us could be the lead singer - I have been - however being a front-man, because I class that as a different thing altogether, well that`s a different matter. It`s something within you that makes a front-man...
[/quote]
I agree that they are very different things. I'd be reasonably confident covering lead vocals, I've been doing it in rehearsals and I've done bits of lead vocals in other bands but as you say the frontperson thing is being the centre of attention in a way that I haven't done before.

I'm wondering if its a thing that can be learnt?

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1339542799' post='1690466']
My advice - try it. All the top role models have been mentioned, from Lemmy to Macca. (Personally, I'd add Steve Kilbey from The Church to the list too) so you know it can be done. You will learn so much and develop new skills. Carpe Diem and all that...
[/quote][quote name='police squad' timestamp='1339592928' post='1691058']
My advice if you're going to try and be the frontman, is to relax and enjoy it.
[/quote]
Thanks for the encouragement!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1339593924' post='1691082']
I'll confess, from personal experience, finding the right front person is the hardest task. Not only do they need to be able to sing - but they need the banter and presence to carry a crowd.
If it's you... I don't have any advice. I've not tried it yet. Backing vocals beckons, but I have this odd habit of stopping playing whilst singing, that I need to conquer first...
[/quote]
You're absolutely right. Finding someone willing and able to do it has been very hard. I totally understand though, there is no way I'd get on stage without an instrument to hide behind.

Edited by rOB