Why become a member? ×

5 String suggestions

Chris Horton

I have been fortunate to currently own (or have owned the following bass guitars ( in no particular order)

2 different 1978 , Precisions , rosewood boards
1979 Precisions , Rosewood board
1967 Gibson EB2
1999 Fender Jazz , 4 string , Rosewood board.
Yamaha trb 5ii
Yamaha TRB 5 frettless.
Yamaha TRB 6ii
Yamaha TRB5pii , Maple top.
Yamaha TRB5pii , Bubinga top.
Stingray 5 , 2005 Ltd ed , Maple board
Stingray 5 , 2002 , piezo , Rosewood Board.
Michael Kelly , 4 string , acoustic bass.
Yamaha BBG5A
Squire tele Precision , maple board.
1973 , Precision , Maple board.
MTD 535, rosewood board.

Thats all i can rember so far ..............................

Bass guitars that i have played - ( in no particular order)

4 different MTD 535 bass guitars
Reverand 5 string
2 different Wal Mk 3 , 5 strings
Wal Mk 1 Frettless
Sadowski Metro , 5 string
1973 Fender Jazz
Lakland 5 string ( cant remember which model)
1960's fender telecaster Precision ( cant remember exact year)
F-bass 5 string.

I may be after a new or secondhand 5 string bass.
My question is ...............................

What 5 string bass guitars should i try out that i have not so far ?
The bass MUST have a great B string .

Fire away :)

a Warwick. I love Warwicks, used to own a couple and will again - not my cup of tea soundwise at the moment though, too modern, and I prefer to invest in other things right now rather than additional basses.

I've tried a lot of them, and find that the B strings are really good, and particularly impressive in the following models:

Streamer Stage 1
Streamer Stage 2
Thumb NT
Thumb Bolt-On
Streamer LX.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1339254643' post='1685965']
Hi Chris, +1 for the Dingwall to try (it's on my list to try myself) but also worth trying a Musicman 25th Anniversary in either HH or HSS configurations.

Happy hunting :-)
[/quote]

I thought about looking at the 25th anniversary stingray 5 too.

I also have thought about the dingwall 5 strings as I love alot of Phill Collins songs which feature Lee Sklar playing a very expensive 5 string Dingwall

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1339259510' post='1686047']
Dingwall there's 3 here in my home in London for you to try if ever you are in London give me a shout
[/quote]

Thank you for the kind offer :)
I shall bear it in mind , I may be heading up to London later in the year So I may PM you.

Ibanez?

I've an SR505 on order at the moment. I went to buy a Jazz Bass and just fell in love with the Ibanez. I did go back and try it again before buying so it wasn't too impulsive. :-)

Spector Euro 5LX - the only five string bass that has ever really impressed me.

A million times better than the Musicman Stingray 5 I had, and even better than my Bogart SKC which was a fantastic bass but still not good enough to persuade me to persevere with a five string.

I play the Spector pretty much exclusively now - even my Zons have taken a back seat.

Peaveys have great B strings.. even my International Series that I picked up for £100 and thats a 34" scale!

Depending on your budget there's a pretty decent variety right up to the top of the range US made Cirrus series (with 35" scale). They're all wonderful to play, solidly built and sound pretty damn cool too

You know what I'm gonna say.......

Love my Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5, it's the only 34" 5er I've ever liked, the B is stonking! I like it because although 35" scale is great for the B string, I don't like the added tension in the other 4 strings, so my KT is perfect for me. Massive range of sounds on offer, and a super comfortable neck that's effortless to play. Can't wait to order my new one when I can finally decide what finish I want!

Chris,

Another bass?!

Knowing a little of your taste in basses, how about Roscoe, Ken Smith, Bossa and Overwater ? I think you should also try a Sadowsky M5, quite different from Gwilym's Jazz-inspired one you played recently.

Of course, once your MTD lands, you may just want another!

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1339310012' post='1686597']
Chris,

Another bass?!

Knowing a little of your taste in basses, how about Roscoe, Ken Smith, Bossa and Overwater ? I think you should also try a Sadowsky M5, quite different from Gwilym's Jazz-inspired one you played recently.

Of course, once your MTD lands, you may just want another!
[/quote]

I like the look of the roscoe bass guitars.
I really enjoyed Gwilym's sadowsky , how does the M5 differ ?

Spector Euro 5

I've had quite a few 5ers, Overwater, Fender, Ibanez, Clover etc etc and with the exception of a Kinal MK5, my Spector knocks spots off them all, and mine isn't even the best one I've played. A couple of mates have had them too, and they were the best basses I've ever played, including an NS5 that was pure sex, absolutely the best bass ever constructed. IMO. The low B on these basses is monster.