Why become a member? ×

5 String suggestions

Chris Horton

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1343842318' post='1756225']
On both of my 5's Fat Beams are perfect!

[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
When the strings need changing on my bass i will try a set of the DR Fat beams out.
I have not tried many differnt makes of stings on my bass guitars , so i am looking forward to trying something new

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343910302' post='1757174']
Does your SR5 not cut it?

I had an MTD 5'er, and found it to be superb - albeit one of their cheaper models. I'd definitely suggest that brand for some further investigation.
[/quote]

I loved all of the SR5's that i have had. I had 8 different bass guitars at one point and i am selling some of them off and just keep 3 bass guitars.
You cant play 8 basses at once and it seamed kinda wrong to have them all sitting there.

Funny you should mention MTD as i have recently bought an MTD 535 :)

My keepers are going to be - -
--- Sadowsky , 5 , NYC m24.
--- MTD 535
--- 1969 Fender Precision

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1343910724' post='1757181']
Funny you should mention MTD as i have recently bought an MTD 535 :)
[/quote]

Ah! Well, I imagine you'll shortly be of the same mind with respect to MTD - mine was light, superbly built, and I was a total wally for moving it on :)

I spotted a Gibson suggestion above. I know they're typified as a rock bass, but am sure they could cover a lot of genres. I've played a 5-string Les Paul, and it made an awesome thump (via twin Bartolini humbuckers)... but it did feel like it was made out of lead. A heavy bass, and that might not suit.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343910878' post='1757182']
Ah! Well, I imagine you'll shortly be of the same mind with respect to MTD - mine was light, superbly built, and I was a total wally for moving it on :)

I spotted a Gibson suggestion above. I know they're typified as a rock bass, but am sure they could cover a lot of genres. I've played a 5-string Les Paul, and it made an awesome thump (via twin Bartolini humbuckers)... but it did feel like it was made out of lead. A heavy bass, and that might not suit.
[/quote]

A few months ago i started a "MTD / Wal" thread in the bass guitar section as i had bad GAS for both bass guitars.
All the details are on the thread. I met up with PTB , Gwilym & Happy Jack. They were kind enough to let me try out their Wal & MTD 535 bass guitars.

I came to the same conclusion ......................... MTD 535's are very well built , have a Fantastic , varied tone with great feeling neck and feel sooooooo good to play.

I could not help it , i bought an MTD :lol: