Why become a member? ×

First Custom Bass - Shuker Jazz 5

Higgie

• 2 weeks later...

OK had an update from Jon, the bass will be ready to be picked up mid next week!! Just in time for my next contract abroad. Excellent! Here is a picture of the body Jon took ages ago but only just sent me yesterday - Hopefully there should be some pics of an almost finished bass in the next couple of days before I go to pick it up!

[attachment=131354:body front.jpg]

Looking good there Higgie :-) I'm looking forward to seeing yours finished and all together. I have an Oly white set neck jazz being made by Jon at the moment. I've not seen any pics for a while but he said the neck is now stuck in place, fretted up and ready for finishing.
His basses are always amazing so I'm sure this one will be as great as the 4 string you already have. I can't wait to see your finished pictures...

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1364581588' post='2028529']
OK had an update from Jon, the bass will be ready to be picked up mid next week!! Just in time for my next contract abroad. Excellent! Here is a picture of the body Jon took ages ago but only just sent me yesterday - Hopefully there should be some pics of an almost finished bass in the next couple of days before I go to pick it up!

[attachment=131354:body front.jpg]
[/quote]
I'm there all next week so we'll get to meet if you're collecting it :-)

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1364603656' post='2028873']
I'm there all next week so we'll get to meet if you're collecting it :-)
[/quote]

So this didn't quite happen due to a problem with the finish on the bass...But I have been sent some pictures from Mr Shuker - All it's waiting for is the pickups, and I should be collecting it next week, in time for my next contract! Yippee!!

[attachment=142085:jhigg1.jpg]
[attachment=142086:jhigg2.jpg]
[attachment=142087:jhigg3.jpg]

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1377140418' post='2183898']

So this didn't quite happen due to a problem with the finish on the bass...But I have been sent some pictures from Mr Shuker - All it's waiting for is the pickups, and I should be collecting it next week, in time for my next contract! Yippee!!

[/quote]

Very nice!!

Love the colour combo! :)

Cheers guys. I've always been a fan of classic/vintage looking instruments, but I wanted it to have slightly more modern features e.g., 5 strings, 21 frets etc - I think Jon has done me proud here! Can't wait to get it!!

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1377140418' post='2183898']

[/quote]
Very nice - looking forward to seeing the end result :).

Yeah what can you do? I know he is busy, but it's already been a year, added to the fact that it "should" have been ready for April...and now it's September and still not ready. He loaned me a 5 string to use instead of this last time, and consequently as it's still not ready, I still have his bass! So looks like he won't be getting that back till April either!

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1377957832' post='2194082']
Yeah what can you do? I know he is busy, but it's already been a year, added to the fact that it "should" have been ready for April...and now it's September and still not ready. He loaned me a 5 string to use instead of this last time, and consequently as it's still not ready, I still have his bass! So looks like he won't be getting that back till April either!
[/quote] in other news I've been really enjoying your youtube playing - been inspiring me to learn some of the same songs. No way as good as you mind - I get lost in the bit after the chorus of Sir Duke.
Bit rubbish about the waiting for the bass, what's the hold up? it looked almost finsihed in the pics?

I'm sorry to hear that unfortunately things are taking a bit longer than hoped. Please don't be dismayed and hang in there.

Jon, although he doesn't like talking about it has had a rather hard year or so that has left him pretty much fighting to keep on top of his work. (Certainly no fault of his own I am quick to add.) The good news is that he's getting back on top of things and is as always delivering basses that are absolutely A1 for incredible value for money. The wait will be because Jon will never let a custom bass out of his workshop without it being perfect for the customer.

In my opinion (and take what you like from this) there are Luthiers who are supposedly better who take longer to churn out an instrument than Jon, for twice the price and they've not had the hard time our Jon has.

That said, of course, like you I'd be chomping at the bit to get a new bass from Jon. It would (and has) on three occasions driven me potty to get my hands on my new Shuker. Believe me though, it's worth waiting for. I'd still go back to Jon, it's where the sensible money is :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1377958549' post='2194093']
in other news I've been really enjoying your youtube playing - been inspiring me to learn some of the same songs. No way as good as you mind - I get lost in the bit after the chorus of Sir Duke.
Bit rubbish about the waiting for the bass, what's the hold up? it looked almost finsihed in the pics?
[/quote]

Ah thanks man, glad to hear my playing has inspired you. I'd really love to do some more videos but I'm so busy nowadays I just don't get the chance! Keep at it mate, you'll be playing it better than I did in no time! The holdup is to do with waiting for my pickups to turn up from Villex.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1377959753' post='2194117']
Tis the world of custom bass making I'm afraid. Sorry man... hope that it crosses the finishing line in April :/
[/quote]

Too true. It's not the end of the world, was just really hoping to have it in my hands by now!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1377961142' post='2194140']
I'm sorry to hear that unfortunately things are taking a bit longer than hoped. Please don't be dismayed and hang in there.

Jon, although he doesn't like talking about it has had a rather hard year or so that has left him pretty much fighting to keep on top of his work. (Certainly no fault of his own I am quick to add.) The good news is that he's getting back on top of things and is as always delivering basses that are absolutely A1 for incredible value for money. The wait will be because Jon will never let a custom bass out of his workshop without it being perfect for the customer.

In my opinion (and take what you like from this) there are Luthiers who are supposedly better who take longer to churn out an instrument than Jon, for twice the price and they've not had the hard time our Jon has.

That said, of course, like you I'd be chomping at the bit to get a new bass from Jon. It would (and has) on three occasions driven me potty to get my hands on my new Shuker. Believe me though, it's worth waiting for. I'd still go back to Jon, it's where the sensible money is :)
[/quote]

I'm obviously a little peeved, but I understand these things happen, and I know from every bit of work I have seen/played/heard of Jon's everything has always been top notch. Jon is a top notch guy and has been great so far - who else would loan you a bass he had built to sell no questions asked in time for a 4 month contract abroad? I have complete faith in him, and hope my comments didn't come off like I was bashing him - Far from it, I'm a great admirer of his, just wanted to have MY bass in MY hands as this time I'm going away for so long!! sh*t happens I guess at the end of the day - Was just hoping it wouldn't land on me again!! Haha

I think the main issue from Jon is that he advises of a completion date, he might want to try and manage timescale expectations a bit better (remember when it was 6months? :D )
If a builder states "I can't tell you when it will be finished, but take a look at these previous timescales", this may relieve any customer tension as well as the odd order which would probably help him out a bit.

Si