Why become a member? ×

9 string bass

greyparrot

Bill Dickens had one I think. And these guys popped up on youtube.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mrAEw_8sE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mrAEw_8sE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=hUc2lGRXm7Q&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=hUc2lGRXm7Q&NR=1[/url]

Surely a 9 string bass isn't actually a bass is it? There's that guy on YouTube playing Mario Brothers on an "11 string bass" but it states in the description that it is actually a tapping instrument like the Stick. Wouldn't a 9 string bass effectively be the same thing?

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1338889794' post='1680469']
Surely a 9 string bass isn't actually a bass is it? There's that guy on YouTube playing Mario Brothers on an "11 string bass" but it states in the description that it is actually a tapping instrument like the Stick. Wouldn't a 9 string bass effectively be the same thing?
[/quote]

It's a bass. Both are basses,

"That guy" is Jean Baudin, and I'm wearing one of his T-shirts atm :lol:

He's not "really" playing it like a stick, a stick is piano you tap, he's doing it on a bass. So it's a bass.

There are a few ERB players on here, binky_bass owns Jean Baudins famous Pac 9 bass and will probably be along shortly with a few others!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1338889952' post='1680473']
I have played a 13 string, I think anything over 6 becomes a different instrument, there are some good players but for my experience it's less about music and more about showing off.
[/quote]

Well I guess that's a personal thing, for example if you "need" the range a 7 string bass provides in one song or set, and you like the bass then it makes sense to use it, and that opens the subjectiveness of what music you play can of worms.

Though each to their own, totally get what you mean. There are a few too many who have an ERB but only touch the top half of the neck and the top strings!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1338889952' post='1680473']
I think anything over 6 becomes a different instrument
[/quote]

An instrument of masturbation if you ask me!

But I think you're right. A piano isn't a bass piano just because it has notes in that range, so IMHO these instruments shouldn't really be called "basses". But then again, what do they look like?

Anyway, not for me.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1338890226' post='1680479']
Well I guess that's a personal thing, for example if you "need" the range a 7 string bass provides in one song or set, and you like the bass then it makes sense to use it, and that opens the subjectiveness of what music you play can of worms.

Though each to their own, totally get what you mean. There are a few too many who have an ERB but only touch the top half of the neck and the top strings!
[/quote]

Indeed, the guy who I bought my Ampeg cab off was a fantastic ERB player, not my thing but very talented where as a lot of players do exactly as you said.

We had a player at the first Yorkshire Bass Bash, he used to be on here then went to Finbass, Ross was his name but can't remeber his Basschat name now. It was a Jim Fleeting Bass similar to the one that was up for sale recently. Just had a look for the photo on the Bash Thread but I deleted it from here due to space issues.

I think the difficulty with ERBs is that if you dont play anything fancy people say you dont need an ERB but if you do play anything fancy you get told you are a show off, between a rock and a hard place. I only use a 7, I have no use for a 9. I do not play solos or anything i use it in a band. Its tuned EBEADGC I have another one which is tuned to BEADGCF which i also enjoy messing with.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1338890039' post='1680476']
It's a bass. Both are basses,
[/quote]

Is it though? I think it all depends on how you string/tune it. IMO Dood's 7-string that goes from F# to C still counts, but most of these ERBs go all the way into guitar range (and beyond) rather than solely concentrating on the bass end of the musical spectrum.

Rather than being called Extended Range Basses they should be "Full Range Stringed Instruments". They can be used for bass parts in the same way that a piano or a harp can, but in the hands of a suitably able player they are capable of much more. However I don't think that they count as bass guitars anymore. They are something different.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338893642' post='1680573']
Is it though? I think it all depends on how you string/tune it. IMO Dood's 7-string that goes from F# to C still counts, but most of these ERBs go all the way into guitar range (and beyond) rather than solely concentrating on the bass end of the musical spectrum.

Rather than being called Extended Range Basses they should be "Full Range Stringed Instruments". They can be used for bass parts in the same way that a piano or a harp can, but in the hands of a suitably able player they are capable of much more. However I don't think that they count as bass guitars anymore. They are something different.
[/quote]
This is correct. 'Full Range String Instrument' would do but so would 'Extended Range Not Bass Anymore'.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338893642' post='1680573']

[/quote]

Most ERBs have F#s and C#s too,

It's tuned in straight forths, like a bass. What you say

"most of these ERBs go all the way into guitar range (and beyond) rather than solely concentrating on the bass end of the musical spectrum."

Well, A low C# is pushing the boundries of human hearing as it is, and because it it is able too it is no longer a bass? If I "sing" a high note on a tuba is it no longer a tuba because I can?

(Note I can tell my tone is coming a cross a bit aggressive here, and it's not meant to be! I just can't seem to think of a better way of wording it so apologies in advance!)

You can play using harmonics notes into the same range on a 4 string using harmonics closer to the bridge than the fretboard.

I personally place them in the same family, as I would a valved Trombone and a slide Trombone. (I'll stop with the brass comparisions haha!)

An 8/9 string bass tuned with a low F# add's 5/10 more notes upwards, and with a low C# only five more than a four string.

All IMO though!

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1338894791' post='1680608']
.. I personally place them in the same family, as I would a valved Trombone and a slide Trombone ...
[/quote]
But trombones come in various ranges: e.g. tenor, alto, bass.

Being a [b][i][u]bass[/u][/i][/b] guitar is about the range of the instrument not the construction, it's the construction that makes it a guitar.

Similarly, for trombones (or any other instrument) it's the construction that makes it a trombone (or whatever), it's the range that makes it bass or alto (or whatever).

The wider the range of the instrument the less possible or sensible it is to call it 'bass' or 'alto' or whatever.

Traditionally, with instrument families, it's not the range but the lowest tone that defines its being a bass or alto or whatever. One could well imagine a bass flute of the highest quality that had a 6 octave range, and it would still be a bass flute.

But indeed, the wider the range, the less sensible it soon becomes to use the words "bass" and "alto" and such.

BTW, some small upright pianos actually sound an octave higher than a standard upright. I don't think anyone calls them "sopranino" or anything other than "sh*te".

Er ... that's not exactly saying all pianos are bass pianos. There's a historical context here, where some instruments are made in families and some are not.

But again: the wider the range, the less all of these names make sense, as you said and I confirmed.