Why become a member? ×

Owning Multiple Basses...

uncle psychosis

Turned into an interesting thread.

I guess my problem is that I don't like to "collect" instruments. I see them as (pretty) tools and feel a bit guilty if I don't use them. Especially if they're expensive- would rather have a holiday or money in my sons' university fund than an instrument gathering dust!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1340146874' post='1700130']

I guess my problem is that I don't like to "collect" instruments. I see them as (pretty) tools and feel a bit guilty if I don't use them. Especially if they're expensive- would rather have a holiday or money in my sons' university fund than an instrument gathering dust!
[/quote]
some the values on basses I have bought have gone up over any inflation on money you could stick in the bank :ph34r:

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1340146874' post='1700130']

[/quote]

What makes you think that a "collection" automatically means "instrument(s) gathering dust"? All mine get played on a fairly regular rotation because I like them all. If they don't get played, they get sold.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1340149337' post='1700157']
What makes you think that a "collection" automatically means "instrument(s) gathering dust"? All mine get played on a fairly regular rotation because I like them all. If they don't get played, they get sold.
[/quote]

pretty much the same here.

I may not gig them all. IN fact, like I said earlier, only two basses really see any action, and one does 90% of the gigs,, or more.
But they are all used.
Past couple of weeks I have been playing a lot my new fretless Jazz and the Cort GB74 I just got. I even rehearsed with the fretless, for giggles. But last week's gigs, as well as those this week (thursday to saturday) will see the MM SUB alone (VM Jazz as backup on Friday).

They *all* get used. If not... they go.

[/quote]
+1

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340150739' post='1700160']

pretty much the same here.

I may not gig them all. IN fact, like I said earlier, only two basses really see any action, and one does 90% of the gigs,, or more.
But they are all used.
Past couple of weeks I have been playing a lot my new fretless Jazz and the Cort GB74 I just got. I even rehearsed with the fretless, for giggles. But last week's gigs, as well as those this week (thursday to saturday) will see the MM SUB alone (VM Jazz as backup on Friday).

They *all* get used. If not... they go.
[/quote]

I've just added a new member to my fold which I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of gigging. It's a fantastic bass, which (after a full setup and a few tweaks here and there) far exceeds my expectations of it... but it's styling is evocative of a genre of music I have no interest in being associated with, plus it has a neck profile that could in theory get me into trouble in a live situation ... it hasn't stopped it being my latest go-to home noodler and muse for new riff ideas though.

[/quote]

The bit where I said "if I'm not using them" makes me think that they'll gather dust :)

Just because you're not using them now doesn't you won't be using them at some point in the future.

I have basses that I used in my last band, but have no place in either of my current bands. However who knows what I'm going to be playing this time next year?

I own a few, a knackered 4 string from the 70s I don't even have all the parts to (if I ever get into some money I might do something interesting with it, it was a reject from a shop I taught at when it shut down), my first bass (Washburn B style), the 6 string I played at my first gig and in my first proper bands, used it for about 8 years so it's not going anywhere and my two stingrays which are my main basses now.

I generally just use one bass, it's always been that way, I tend to get a new bass and use that then my old bass goes spare so I'll trade it for something else and use that. I'm happy with my rays now though. :) I can't imagine feeling the need for loads of basses, if I was in several bands that needed completely different sounds that my basses/amps couldn't manage (I can't imagine it to be honest with the gear I have at the moment) I might get another bass for that band, but I'm not one of those people that insists that I need a set tone for a genre.

If we're actually honest with ourselves, there are very few of us here who couldn't do everything they want and need to do on a bog standard Jazz bass and, I put it to you, that even owning more than one is an induglence. Why are people who have two or three applying a stigma to having more than that? At a push, you could say there could be a need for fretted and fretless but saying you [i]need[/i] a Stingray tone and a P bass tone is a bit much.

Just get more if you want more and enjoy it, don't think too much about it, just play them :)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1340179605' post='1700289']
If we're actually honest with ourselves, there are very few of us here who couldn't do everything they want and need to do on a bog standard Jazz bass and, I put it to you, that even owning more than one is an induglence. Why are people who have two or three applying a stigma to having more than that? At a push, you could say there could be a need for fretted and fretless but saying you [i]need[/i] a Stingray tone and a P bass tone is a bit much.
[/quote]

I think people have read a bit too much into some of it. For me, personally, I don't like having instruments lying around not getting used. Thats not an indulgence I'm comfortable with. If someone else gets pleasure out of having 47 jazz basses, all in different finishes, then thats cool by me. It just doesn't work for me!

Like you say, though, I think there is a little bit too much confusion of the words "need" and "want" when it comes to guitars. Someone might [i]want [/i]to own 16 basses, but lets face it, they almost certainly don't [i]need[/i] to. There's nothing wrong with wanting 16 basses, but you should at least be honest with yourself about your motives :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338902281' post='1680802']
One of the advantages of having the finances and space to own multiple basses is that you rarely get the "I wish I'd never got rid of that one" syndrome. Each bass can be evaluated over a long-term period and compared with the others I have, before deciding whether or not to keep it. Also just because a bass I own is currently out of favour doesn't mean that it won't become my main instrument if the band changes musical direction or I join a different band. Five years ago most of my playing was done on fretless. These days neither of the bands I play in have any call for fretless bass so the only time they get picked up is for a little home noodling. However I have no idea what I'll be playing in another five years time so as long as I don't need the cash or the space it makes more sense for me to keep them for that eventuality.
[/quote]

This.
If, over time, If I find a bass doesn't do it for me anymore, then I'll sell it on.
So it went with my Ibanez SRX700, Fretless 'Ray 5, and Iceni Zoot Chaser. They were all good in their way but have been superceded with more appropriate instruments, and I don't miss them.
I think I've got about 10 basses knocking about at the moment, all of which have been gigged and/or recorded with at some point or another. I usually have 2 or 3 out and ready to go, and these get rotated in and out of play periodically.
No harm done. They're still being used, so (with the exception of the Status Streamline) no trees died in vain.
Running costs? Strings and batteries, but that's spread across "the fleet" rather than concentrated into one or two instruments, and, as such, costs no more or less.
Still plenty of room in the cupboards for flight cases, in preparation for some sort of EUB (5), Electric Cello and any Basslab L-bows that happen to crop up...

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340169141' post='1700193']
I've just added a new member to my fold which I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of gigging. It's a fantastic bass, which (after a full setup and a few tweaks here and there) far exceeds my expectations of it... but it's styling is evocative of a genre of music I have no interest in being associated with, plus it has a neck profile that could in theory get me into trouble in a live situation ... it hasn't stopped it being my latest go-to home noodler and muse for new riff ideas though.
[/quote] let me guess... its a stratocaster? :D

I have 7.
I`ve gigged 4 of them,one is retired now for being too heavy (Vox),one`s in bits waiting for inspiration (Black J),and the other two are my regular working basses.
A P with wizards/flats and a J with Nordstrands/DR hi beams.
The rest are all cheap bits of this and that and are all an effort to achieve a superb or quirky bass for pennies, and because I like f***ing about with them,so rather mess up a cheapy than one of the workers.
I fully intend to divest myself of all this crap, and invest in another very good bass, that I can use for work rather than home noodles.
Prob never happen.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1340179605' post='1700289']

Just get more if you want more and enjoy it, don't think too much about it, just play them :)
[/quote]

I don't think they're criticising you for having more basses... I think you read it that way because your subconscious feels guilty.
You need to liberate yourself.
How?
Buy a LOT more basses.
That will teach your subconscious!!! :P

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340184349' post='1700439']
let me guess... its a stratocaster? :D
[/quote]

he seems to be a man of good taste, so it would not be surprising if it were.

I love strats and teles, me.
I only own three guitars right now. Two are strats (one "standard", a yummy Classic Player series in sonic blue, and the other is a humbucker&FloydRose loaded Richie Sambora signature... please don't laugh at me ;)). I need to get back to guitar more.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340169141' post='1700193']
...it's styling is evocative of a genre of music I have no interest in being associated with...[/quote][quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1340184349' post='1700439']
let me guess... its a stratocaster? :D[/quote]

I bet it's a BC Rich Warlock.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340185568' post='1700486']
I don't think they're criticising you for having more basses... I think you read it that way because your subconscious feels guilty.
You need to liberate yourself.
How?
Buy a LOT more basses.
That will teach your subconscious!!! :P
[/quote] :lol:

I don't feel guilty at all. I'm just trying to help those who feel guilt to see the light :D

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340185806' post='1700491']

he seems to be a man of good taste, so it would not be surprising if it were.

I love strats and teles, me.
I only own three guitars right now. Two are strats (one "standard", a yummy Classic Player series in sonic blue, and the other is a humbucker&FloydRose loaded Richie Sambora signature... please don't laugh at me ;)). I need to get back to guitar more.
[/quote] i was playing my guitar yesterday :) good times

Well the Aria I've owned since the mid 80's was safely tucked up in the loft (sentimental keeper) as I have seriously fallen out with anything that needs batteries, and my US Jazz was everything I needed.

Then I joined BassChat.

A project I was involved in required a bit of fretless, so I bought a Mexican Jazz fretless - which is rather nice, so another keeper.

Then Clarky had a nearly new Gibson Thunderbird up for sale, which was a bit different - and sounded so much better than my Jazz above the 5th fret, so it became my main go-to bass.

Then I fancied doing some modding, so bought a cheap Squier P-J donor from Sagawa. Unfortunately the bass looks and sounds SO good it's taken over as my main bass. The Thunderbird is wondering who turned out the lights.

So five basses at the moment. I don't play them all, but then have no immediate desire to cut down either. However I am starting feel a bit sorry for the US Jazz, but have owned it from new - the first brand new bass I've ever bought. I may part with it one day, but not just yet.

I blame it all on BC...

Edit: Forgot to mention the Epiphone 335, the Charvel strat thing and the Guild acoustic, but they're not basses :)

Edited by Norris