Why become a member? ×

What do you demand from a startup band?

TimR

I'm going to meet with some guys this week about starting up a band.

I've played with the drummer a few times, and I know the other 2 guitarists are good.

They're pretty much sorted on the type of music they want to play. I know and can play the genre and am looking forward to it.

The only things I want to lay on the table are minimum practice, giging asap and playing popular tunes. Other than that I'm easy.

What would you guys push for or be happy to let slide?

A few general goals like how many gigs per month etc etc ..and how you approach running the band..but the total deal breaker for me is how it gels
at the first get together.

I am not interested in the notes...I want to know if the band can go through a few gears and whether the guys can bring something different to the party.
You may well share a large proportion of your set with other bands so what sets you apart...??
For me, it is the ability of the band to move through its gears and not deliver a one dimensional song/sound.

If the band has that potential, everything else just needs to be aired and agreed on... you need a lot of give and take if partners and family commitments get in the way, so you need something that makes the guys want to come and play more in this band than any others they may be in.
Good guys are always going to be in demand..

The only possible answer is "it depends".

Why are you starting a band? Are you a bunch of middle-aged accountants looking for a hobby, or a bunch of students wanting to be the next U2?

Do you need the money?

Do you have commitments outside music, like young children and mortgages?

IMHO, what I/you/anyone looks for in a band is driven by the answers to those questions, not "[i]Do you like System Of A Down[/i]?".

[quote name='serengeti' timestamp='1338227979' post='1671198']
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/if-only-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-429034/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/if-only-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-429034/[/url]
Check this!
[/quote]

Thankfully we've all been around long enough to know all that. But yes we've probably learned it the hard way. Lol.

Make sure you know up front where the money is going, ie is it an even split, or more for whoever books it / owns the PA etc.Even if its just a pub band doing one gig a month.

A mistake I've made twice, once cos I was a bit green and hadnt made sure, - one a local band where the one guitarist and the singer thought they were the stars, and the singer owned the PA, the drum kit, transit and we used his factory unit to rehearse.

We seemed to do a hell of a lot of freebies or very cheap gigs on his 'turf'. Two whole years of 2 or 3 gigs a week before I accidentally collected the dough myself at a regular gig. Turned out I wasnt the only one who had been kept in the dark
Since then i always make sure.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1338228567' post='1671211']

Why are you starting a band?

[/quote]

Some good questions there.

For me, I've always played in bands and each one has had a fairly clear purpose;
Become famous. (Didn't happen)
Play some original tunes (ended up playing what the Singer/songwriter told us to)
Jam on a Sunday morning (Jams get boring after a while)
Commitments tribute band (drummer liked hard rock)
Function band (as long as we can pick and chose the gigs paying lots and close to home)
Cover band doing gigs (if they're to their mates)
and so on....

This one? I'll find out later this week, but if it's rehearse once a week forever then I'm not buying in. I'm still doing that in the cover band.

Gig, gig, gig please - money is secondary but has to be right. I'm not playing for 'free' beers.

In that case, and bearing in mind that you're probably WAY more experienced than me, I'd say the only thing to actively look for at this early stage is the right chemistry.

If you like each other and enjoy each other's company, laugh at the same jokes, shrug off silly mistakes at rehearsals instead of bitching about it, then you can paper over a staggering range of musical (and other) differences.

Some of the best material my covers band does comprises songs which we started playing at rehearsal for a joke. Just go with the flow ...

For me, if joining another band I`d want to know:

Do they want "to make it"
If originals, what`s he deal on song-writing, would my contributions be welcomed
How often they intend on gigging
How far away from home do they intend to gig
How often do they intend on rehearsing
If a covers band, do they have their own pa/lights
If not, is cash up front expected, or fund from gigs
Do they all have own transport

Then it would then be a case of did I get on with them, and most importantly, could I lock in with the drummer.

From there, I`d want to go out for a drink with them, as being a non-drinker, certain types of people (those that can`t hold their alcohol) get on my nerves - quickest way to find out, watch them getting p*ssed. No point in rehearsing for 6 months, then find out you really hate so-and-so once they`ve had a drink, and it turns out they always get hammered at gigs.

I have PA and lights. Not too stoked about how/whether that gets paid for as long as the guys don't start taking the P. I've been in too many bands where I've supplied PA and lights, hauled it to every gig for free with no appreciation, only complaints and no help loading/unloading the car.

Anyway....

Some good points and motives there.

Agree a setlist? I'm going to suggest someone does a setlist of about 30 tunes and we familiarise/learn 12 of them before we start rehearsals. I'm not really fussed what's in the setlist, I would rather learn 12 tunes and the band not get together for a second rehearsal than the first rehearsal be one of those "What do you know"/"Let's just jam" type thing.

Other than musical talents and a reasonable degree of personablity, what other skills or talents do people have and are they willing to use them?

* Recording - knowledge and kit
* Web skills - site-building, social media, etc
* Gig-blagging - contacts, persistence
* Design - logos, flyers, posters, image etc
* Copywriting - website copy, releases, 'press packs'
* Photography / video, etc
* General organisational skills

All ideal but not essential, I'd admit

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1338250365' post='1671767']
Other than musical talents and a reasonable degree of personablity, what other skills or talents do people have and are they willing to use them?

* Recording - knowledge and kit
* Web skills - site-building, social media, etc
* Gig-blagging - contacts, persistence
* Design - logos, flyers, posters, image etc
* Copywriting - website copy, releases, 'press packs'
* Photography / video, etc
* General organisational skills

All ideal but not essential, I'd admit
[/quote]

I'd say all essential if you're really serious about it! :D

Has anyone produced a 'roadmap' with timescales etc?

I'd not really thought about that aspect of it. Maybe we need a sticky on starting a band?

In the past all my bands have grown organically, recordings, gigs and photos have come when we felt we needed them. While this won't be my band and I don't want to be pushy maybe I'll suggest we put down some timescales.

Edited by TimR

I think you're right there. A few bands I've been in have been fine rehearsing for ages and as soon as the performance pressure rears it's head some people just implode.

Getting a gig booked early, even just an hour support slot would be one for my list.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1338228567' post='1671211']

Why are you starting a band? Are you a bunch of middle-aged accountants looking for a hobby, or a bunch of students wanting to be the next U2?

Do you need the money?

Do you have commitments outside music, like young children and mortgages?

IMHO, what I/you/anyone looks for in a band is driven by the answers to those questions, not "[i]Do you like System Of A Down[/i]?".
[/quote]

I'm middle-aged, penniless, and my children like system of a down. Can I join?

Well a few ideas for discussion rather than a rigid agenda. Nothing worse than sitting round a table saying "Let's start a band....." and everyone looking blankly at each other.

I think my first step would be to establish a leader. Not me, I've been there and done that and appreciate what a thankless task it is. I would rather someone with some time and drive did it and I just help guide it if neccesary, even if they get paid extra from gig money.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1338292308' post='1672171']
I think my first step would be to establish a leader.
[/quote]

if that was mooted at any initial band meet-up i went to, i'd say my goodbyes and leave.

i'm always dubious of anyone wanting to proclaim themselves a leader without experiencing the group dynamic first

Edited by ahpook

Startup band i'm in. We met up first to get to know eachother (I only actually didn't know one of them) decided on a few songs, jammed out those few songs at a rehearsal. We used that rehearsal to see where the singer feels most comfortable musically and then spent the last hour coming up with song suggestions which i've compiled into a list (something like 40 songs). We're going to meet up again with the list, go through and pick 10 songs to do over the next few months, and then break them up into which songs to do at which rehearsal so we know what we need to work on and when for. This really helps because i obviously have my main band, work, and regularly dissapear for a weekend, plus all the other members are at college, so having a bit of structure makes things easier to work with.

Liam

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1338292923' post='1672190']

if that was mooted at any initial band meet-up i went to, i'd say my goodbyes and leave.

i'm always dubious of anyone wanting to proclaim themselves a leader without experiencing the group dynamic first
[/quote]

It's tricky. You need someone to initially get things going. I would expect fairly early on there to be some sort of director. I've joined bands where nothing ever got done because there was no leader.

I suppose it depends on whether you have a dictator or a leader.