Why become a member? ×

Bass rut :(

Cookers

Are you in a band ?? Have you tried some local Jam nights even. Try checking out some lessons on Youtube or take a few one to one lessons even to broaden your skills or try something left field like learning a style that you havn't really enjoyed in the past.
You could be on a plateau that you'll break free from soon, I think that happens to everyone from time to time, stick with it and you'll soon be re inspired.
B)

Band, absolutely.

Bizarrely, when I'm in a rut, I just go and make myself learn a new song - usually something really rocky, and then hit it at volume.

Bass equivalent of shock treatment, for me - but when writing has reached a dead end it's a good break for fun.

How long have you been playing, and how old are you?

It might not be "a rut", you just might not enjoy it as much as you did when you were younger & had more enthusiasm/energy/time/whatever.

I found not playing at all for a while got me back into it a bit - I didn't touch a bass for about seven years. Still wasn't the same buzz as when I was younger though.

Doesn't everybody hit a plateau at some point?? I've found that learning one new riff, breaking it down and using the parts in other riffs gives me the kick I need.. I've recently been using 10th and 11ths instead of octaves which has made me play in a different way..as B5 said check out Scott Devines lessons online - there are also some really good lessons on the Bass2bass forum..

Summat I learned from a book I have by Garry Hagberg and Howard Roberts. If you had the resources to get yourself into this rut or plateau, you definitely have the resources to get yourself out of it. Take your tired old shapes, licks and phrases and learn them backwards and upside down. It will unlock a creative part of your brain and it will lead you down new creative paths.

Thanks every one some really good ideas :D

Just finding myself constantly playing the same old riffs and no concentration whilst trying something new.
I don't play in a band currently but think having someone to jam with and push me might be exactly what I need.

Thanks again , I'l definitely be checking out those links as well

[quote name='Cookers' timestamp='1337898832' post='1667326']
Thanks every one some really good ideas :D

Just finding myself constantly playing the same old riffs and no concentration whilst trying something new.
I don't play in a band currently but think having someone to jam with and push me might be exactly what I need.

Thanks again , I'l definitely be checking out those links as well
[/quote]

Learn a bass line that you think is too difficult/challenging for your own personal level. I'm not talking about the newest 'Victor Wooten bass solo extraordinaire' style lick that you've seen on YT, but maybe something by your favourite bass player that you thought might be out of the realms of your own playing. It does wonders for generating work for your ear, and in turn your muscle memory will store new ideas that will come out as a natural part of your playing in the future.

[quote name='Cookers' timestamp='1337898832' post='1667326']
[/quote]

Then join a band now. All the best stuff happens musically when you interact with other musicians. Plus being in a band is fun, you get to meet all sorts of interesting people and might even make some money to support your GAS...

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1337971539' post='1668296']
play drums
[/quote]

You're right there, playing around on a kit actually did wonders for me when I was in a rut a few months ago :lol: Only got so far as learning the basics thanks to the neighbours complaining, but it was great to explore music and songs that I'd written with heavier focus on another instrument and made it all feel so much fresher when I got back to bass :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337958674' post='1668086']
I've been in a rut since I was 17.

Fortunately there are a lot of players in here with me. We're getting along just fine.
[/quote]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZEsBNw4KUY[/youtube]

Couldn't resist. :D