Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Warwick Basses & Framus Guitars!

Warwick_Official

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1337589854' post='1662242']
Why, Warwick basses are dope - Kenny higgins on bass, what a brother!! filthy groove... check it out
[/quote]

This is one of those optical things, yes? If you stare long enough at the vid, you might discover a bass in the background?

best,
bert

Fantastic to have you on the forum; surprised at the slightly hostile reception you have received off a couple of members in this greetings thread (!) but hope nothing has scared you off!

My Warwick Thumb NT has been with me for 18 months or so now and iv never felt more comfortable with a bass, truly superb :)

Thanks for the welcome Kev! No worries on reception...everyone is entitled to their feelings, and as I said...with time, my intentions will hopefully be clear to everyone. I think, for the most part, we're past that now...have moved on, and can have some fun! Either way, you take the positive with the negative, find a balance...and in doing so, serve the community better. I try to use this thinking in life, as well as the forum! Glad you're enjoying your Thumb NT!

Hey Garey

Welcome to the forum - it seemed a bit frosty here for a while but, I think the general feeling about Warwick basses is a good one.

I used to own a Dolphin SN which I loved but found I couldn't settle on any particular setting (too much choice can sometimes be a problem) and the 26 fret neck. There have been a couple of 24 fret Bolt ons advertised recently which had me tempted for a while..managed to resist while I wait for somebody to sell me their Goodfellow Rumour..

I'm also a user of the Warwick Forum which I find very friendly and informative..

I think that manufacturers having a presence on this site can only be a positive thing..expect lots of customer service queries!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your welcome and comments, TheGreek! 26 fret necks aren't for everyone, but its a good option for those who utilize them and the tone they provide. Some players don't realize it, but there is a tonal shift when going between 21, 22, 24, and 26 fret basses...its not just extra notes! Finding an instrument that makes you comfortable, and lets you speak the way you want to express yourself is the most important thing, IMO. I'm open to all inquiries...customer service included! Feel free to email, pm or post here any time. The Warwick Forum is also a great group, and not as specialized as one would think. All are welcome there, warwick owners or not...as you probably already know! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

[i]Hi Warwick Offical,[/i]
[i]Welcome to the center of the bass universe.[/i]
[i]I have a Warwick dolphin pro 1 from 89 and i love the thing, wont let it go as so many have said that the earlier models just sound better than the new, would like to know if its wired in the same way as the later version though.[/i]

[i]Enjoy the forum [/i]

[i]regards[/i]

[i]Big Rob[/i]

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1337085252' post='1655097']
For decades Framus was one of Europe's leading stringed instrument company, played by artists such as John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Billy Lorento, and Bill Wyman.[/quote]

Yeah, but they also made this!............

.......... and just to prove it wasn't a grievous mistake you made another just the same! ................. so it's not all good. ;)

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1338578239' post='1676812']
[i]Hi Warwick Offical,[/i]
[i]Welcome to the center of the bass universe.[/i]
[i]I have a Warwick dolphin pro 1 from 89 and i love the thing, wont let it go as so many have said that the earlier models just sound better than the new, would like to know if its wired in the same way as the later version though.[/i]

[i]Enjoy the forum [/i]

[i]regards[/i]

[i]Big Rob[/i]
[/quote]

Thanks Big Rob! I will check with the head designer to be sure I give you the most precise information, as a lot of things have changed in the last few years. Thanks for your patience!

Edited by Warwick_Official

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1338595864' post='1677142']
Hahaha! Thats great Big Stu! As we say at Warwick & Framus: If you can dream it, we can build it! lol. Today we're things more along these lines...made for Devin Townsend

Thanks for the laugh!!
[/quote]

WOW! When was this made? I thought Devin had a Peavey endorsement? has he moved?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1338596195' post='1677147']
WOW! When was this made? I thought Devin had a Peavey endorsement? has he moved?
[/quote]
I don't really know any details of his deals (I know he plays lots of brands for different styles of music)...except this from twitter:

[color=#000000][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2]hey dev! What's goin' on with the PXD? Peavey's been mum and I can't find anyone who actually sells this thing! #icanhazguitar[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=2][color=#000000]@dvntownsend No idea... my relationship with them has been odd. I'm pretty sure they think I'm an asshole. I thought it was out... :/[/color][/size][/font][/color]

I did see that this recent pic was taken for the new album artwork:

Edited by Warwick_Official

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1338599455' post='1677167']
Well now...even if someone did dream this....I'm not sure we would build it!!! LOL!!
[/quote]

Why not?
I know it's just an optical illusion, but if you stare at it for some time, you may see a vague and indirect, but still quite classy allusion to male body parts.
Also, this design is quite ergonomical in the arm warmer as well as in its lack of neck dive.
... and have you seen the "Trus' me" rod?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1338645549' post='1677586']
No - but in a similar vein (see what I did there) a certain purveyor of vintage guitars alleges that John Birch built THIS..........

....... but when I first saw it I asked John himself & in a fit of rage he said it was a forgery, using parts off one of his guitars.
Said "purveyor" has in the past claimed it to have been made for either Andy Scott of Sweet (who equally rageously denies it) Dave Hill of Slade (which is also a lie) and more recently Showaddywaddy - who AFAIK only ever had a "Blue Moon" custom made.
Someone's been framed - rather than Framused - which gets us back on thread :lol:
[/quote]

There are far too many knobs on this !

Hi Garey & Warwick!

Good to see you here.

I've been a Warwick fan for years, I now own three! We all find certain guitars that suit us and for me it's Warwick. I know a few bassists who have chosen them after hearing mine maybe I should be on the sales team lol (Joke) ;)
Anyway keep up the good work. :D

cheers
Ellie

Welcome to BC Garey. I'm a bass convert after many years as a guitarist. A couple of years ago I picked up a secondhand Framus Custom Diablo which has quickly become my favourite guitar. Hopefully one day I will get round to trying out and maybe owning a Warwick bass as I think the workmanship on these instruments is outstanding.

Hello Ellie! Great to hear you've made so many converts! Keep it up, sounds like you'd fit into the family perfectly!
Simonc61: Thanks for the welcome! The current line of Framus guitars is really amazing and it won't be long until more people know about them. I've seen the entire build process, and the workmanship is indeed outstanding. Thanks for the kind words!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1336988356' post='1653484']
Welcome! I'm sure you'll like it here and perhaps can shed some light on why second hand Warwicks are so cheap! Or rather, why new Warwicks are so expensive?
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly :)

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338948475' post='1681608']
My sentiments exactly :)

BSB
[/quote]

i had a look at an inflation calculator thing.... back in early 90's they cost about £1500 or so right? in todays money thats about £3000 - so not far off todays prices.
Why I can pick up a secondhand 1990 streamer stage one in a nice hiscox case for £400 is a mystery i don't complain about!

Truckstop: There are quite a few answers to your question. Many things have changed at Warwick in the last 4 years. Production has been reduced from around 9000 instruments per year, to about 2500 per year. The focus is on making instruments of the highest quality and consistency. All of the wood we source is certified legal wood, and not coming from places that cannot be guaranteed. Every step of the process is certified, and that means a lot of fees and clerical work.

Additionally, Warwick is now a leader in using FSC-Certified Ebony and US Swamp Ash. The FSC Ebony (Forest Stewardship Council) is carries the strictest guidelines - not only does the wood need to be FSC-Certified, but the factory too. There are 3 manufacturers in the US (Martin, Gibson, and as of February PRS) that are FSC-Certified. In Europe it is Sonor and Warwick. This guarantees, every step of the way, that our wood comes from legal certified forests, no forests that are being cut for agriculture use, no wood from countries with civil or traditional rights violated, and no genetically altered woods. All of the wood at Warwick & Framus is allowed to air-dry for a minimum of 3-5 years (usually much longer), then it is slowly brought to an exact moisture-content with a special humid-air kiln. We only build with wood that is at the optimum 8% moisture content. A special machine is used to check EACH piece of wood individually for moisture-content...at which time it is hand-sorted for defects, and also hand-matched for use in an instrument. Every instrument is sorted by hand with a template, to be sure only the finest matching is made.

Even though Warwick & Framus have some of the most advanced machines in the world, we go through many steps of hand-crafting and hand-finishing, which takes an enormous amount of time. A lot of builders do things to simply save time and energy...we want to create the best instruments possible. Every neck is made in a laminate fashion for strength and stability, again - done by hand. The grains are sorted and put together like this: \\\||///. We have 5-axis routers instead of the industry standard 3-axis routers, which allow us to contour the instruments in a special fashion as well as little things, like drill our neck pocket bolts at the same angle as the body contours so that the ferrules are completely seated. Our Invisible Fret Technology machine is the only one in existence, and insures a perfect fret job within 1/100mm. It is capable of creating a fingerboard with any radius between 9.5" and 47", and it perfectly levels and crowns the frets. We offer 5 types of fret wire, depending on your preference. Once again, every neck is completed by hand - sanding and rounding the fingerboard edges, applying oil, and making sure each one if perfect.

We use a type of lacquer finish that is also unique in the world of instrument building. Its a water based lacquer that is environmentally friendly, and ultra-thin. We do this in a UV curing machine, that is flushed with nitrogen - so there is no chemical reaction taking place. The finish is ultra-durable as well. Common poly finished can only attain a clarity of +/- 85%...whereas our UV lacquer is 93%-95% clear, similar to a diamond. Every instrument is wet-sanded by hand for the finest detail work, and hand-buffed...swirl marks are not acceptable to leave the German custom shop. Our neck pocket is also hand-fitted...a bolt-on neck instrument (with no bolts holding it together) can be swing around and shaken, and the neck will not slip out of the pocket. It is a precise fit, for perfect transmission of vibration.

These are the main points, there are many others - and again, our goal is utmost quality and perfection. The last 4 years have seen serious improvements, and some of that is reflected in price. We will continue to strive to make instruments of the highest quality and also consistency...as well as our dedication to the environment. As I stated - We are FSC-certified, and we also have been awarded the EMAS-III designation for our strict commitment to a better future environment. We burn all of our wood waste for thermal energy which supplies our facility with heat, and we have the largest solar array in our part of Germany. I hope this lends some insights into what Warwick & Framus believes in. Thanks!

Thanks Paul! Not many people understand how vital this sort of thing is...for now, and for the future. Doing our part will hopefully give strength to the movement, and others will have no choice but to join in. I know my post above was somewhat long-winded...but the truth is - many manufacturers are simply trying to save time and money, without the concern for the resources and the way they are used (or abused). Hans-Peter Wilfer is very proud of the steps he's taken...and its only natural to question why things cost more - some consumers will understand and feel good with their purchase, and others may be pushed away. But once its all said and done, Warwick & Framus is proud to be going the right thing. You can read more about EMAS-III here: http://warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=24213&cl=EN - and FSC here: http://warwick.de/modules/infos/info.php?katID=24279&cl=EN Thanks again!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338970062' post='1681674']
i had a look at an inflation calculator thing.... back in early 90's they cost about £1500 or so right? in todays money thats about £3000 - so not far off todays prices.
Why I can pick up a secondhand 1990 streamer stage one in a nice hiscox case for £400 is a mystery i don't complain about!
[/quote]

Fair play but even the (Warwick) Rock Basses are fetching a few grand now, although their quality has improved a thousand times since as far as I can recall, it's just hard to own one of these basses now.
Just saddens me that what I *could* afford now for a Warwick, the prices have moved on and even finding a decent enough secondhand Im still looking to spend a fair bit or they're a bit tatty.

I just wanna Warwick :(