Why become a member? ×

1974 Fender Jazz on Ebay - not quite as it should be!

Gunsfreddy2003

Saw this today and alarm bells rang straight away - lots not quite right with it.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261023097792&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

Should someone tell him?

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1336945259' post='1653165']
Saw this today and alarm bells rang straight away - lots not quite right with it.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261023097792&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

Should someone tell him?
[/quote]
Given that he's the 'gnomes in the attic' feller, I wouldn't bother. Unless you fancy hearing about the price of his house and cars. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1336977866' post='1653317']
As far as I can tell, the headstock logo is pre-75 (?) but the three-bolt neck joint is post-75, by which time they had a smaller headstock logo
[/quote]
According to the Fender timeline they introduced 3-bolt necks in '74, so he could legitimately claim this was a '74 in his ad.
http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=503

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1336978195' post='1653319']
According to the Fender timeline they introduced 3-bolt necks in '74, so he could legitimately claim this was a '74 in his ad.
[url="http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=503"]http://www.fender.co...lay_article=503[/url]
[/quote]
My bad, but I'm not sure I've seen a combination of that larger logo and a three bolt before

Agreed, I have never seen one before.

The thumb rest position is also a bit weird as I thought that it was moved to above the E string from 75 onwards?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1336978734' post='1653321']

My bad, but I'm not sure I've seen a combination of that larger logo and a three bolt before
[/quote]

Looks exactly like my late 73 / early 74 Jazz bass, same logos, same neck plate, same everything. Assuming mine's genuine!

I reckon the mocha brown may be a refinish as some of the scrapes go under the control plate, looks more like damage when stripping it than general wear and tear. I wouldn't call the 3 bolt system rare but otherwise I'm not seeing much wrong with it except maybe the price.

Edited by Fat Rich

Interesting that he hasn't popped the hood. I'm no expert on '70s Jazzes but the Mocha finish was fairly heavy duty and age would not render it as it is up there. Refin, of some kind, And though the thumb-rest is certainly at the wrong angle, imo.

Is a fools collectable price, thousands of old shafted basses are in the hands of fools that paid a small fortune and now think they own an expensive collectable instrument, what they in fact own is sombeodys clapped out worn lump of junk.
For an instrument to be truly collectable, think toy cars, unplayed in the box, same with basses, it needs to be 95% condition and in its case it was made for and the case needs to be mint as well.
Now they are exceptions, say if the instrument is so rare that clapped out versions are all thats left, but that is hardly going to happen with a 70's Jazz bass.

Edited by vax2002

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336983475' post='1653391']
Is a fools collectable price, thousands of old shafted basses are in the hands of fools that paid a small fortune and now think they own an expensive collectable instrument, what they in fact own is sombeodys clapped out worn lump of junk.
For an instrument to be truly collectable, think toy cars, unplayed in the box, same with basses, it needs to be 95% condition and in its case it was made for and the case needs to be mint as well.
Now they are exceptions, say if the instrument is so rare that clapped out versions are all thats left, but that is hardly going to happen with a 70's Jazz bass.
[/quote]

By and large I agree with all you're saying, however there are a finite number of 70s guitars which ultimately pushes their value up once they're in short supply. Prices of pre CBS Fenders are so high people are buying CBS instruments as the next best thing (in terms of holding their value or going up in value in the future)

From a financial point of view you can easily spend £2K on a new custom instrument that will maybe resell for £1200, or a 70s Jazz bass that will probably get your money back and more when you sell it in a few years time.

According to The Fender Bass book, aka "the bible"

1974/5

"The thumbrest is moved to the bass side of the body.Like their rosewood counterparts, Jazz bass maple necks are given pearl block inlays and white binding. Prior to that, maple necks were bound in black with a black block inlay. Three bolt necks are the norm on Jazz basses and installation of black pickgaurds is being standardized on all models."

So there is is a good chance that it could be legit but as the guy has previous.....

Jez

My '74 has the thumb rest on the G string side and a four bolt neck!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1336988832' post='1653496']
According to The Fender Bass book, aka "the bible"

1974/5

"The thumbrest is moved to the bass side of the body.Like their rosewood counterparts, Jazz bass maple necks are given pearl block inlays and white binding. Prior to that, maple necks were bound in black with a black block inlay. Three bolt necks are the norm on Jazz basses and installation of black pickgaurds is being standardized on all models."

So there is is a good chance that it could be legit but as the guy has previous.....

Jez
[/quote]

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1336993715' post='1653582']
Isn`t that always the way with Fender`s when they change things? There always seemed to be a year or so when they made major changes to a bass,when the 2 specs sort of appeared side by side.

Jez
[/quote]

Thats how I see it, a sort of facelift 1.5 kind of thing. Only trouble I have with it is the price and condition. Presuming someone buying this would be wanting to make an investment of sorts, that kind of condition just doesn't cut the mustard. Looks cool though, and it'd be a great gigging bass and what not, but then i'd expect the price to reflect it. If the guy didn't have past bad rep then i'd not be quite so cynical. End of the day its worth what someone will pay, and whether or not the seller[i] deserves [/i]to get the top price is debatable.

Hmmmm:

[size=4]"[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][b]THIS IS A ONE OWNER BABY. " & "[/b][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][b]GOT IT FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER HIMSELF"[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[left][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]So that makes two owners, the original owner plus himself. Or am I being picky and I shouldn't class him as an owner if he's a shop that's simply selling it on?[/color][/font][/left]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1336977927' post='1653318']
I wonder why he changed his user ID? :huh: ;)
[/quote]
He's had that one for quite a while, but usually uses it to sell parts rather than complete instruments. He's got another user ID as well though I can't for the life of me remember what it was. :rolleyes:

[quote]I have a 76 Jazz with 3 bolt neck and the same size logo. Mine is also Mocha but looks different. His one looks like its been brought back to natural and then stained.[/quote]
Yours is Walnut - it even says so in your sig! :) Mocha is a considerable darker brown and didn't appear in Fender colour charts until the eighties.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1336945259' post='1653165']

Should someone tell him?
[/quote]

Don't see a whole lot wrong, care to enlighten us?

Looks perfectly legit to me. 74/75 is right in the transition period for logo / three bolt neck / and thumbrest changing to E string side so nothing particularly suspicious here. He's also posted lots of pics including the pots, pickups, etc which doesn't usually happen with fakes.

Looks a nice mid-70s Jazz to me!

Edited by simon1964