Why become a member? ×

Got a new bass today, has issues...

CBbass

Quality control isn't really a strong suit for Fender. Both my US Fenders are not as well put together as a 1980s Korean Squier Precision or Hamer Cruise Bass that i own. Don't get me wrong ,the Fenders sound and look fine but the build quality just ain't all that. The neck pockets on both Fenders are more sloppy than the other 2 basses.

I went to a local music store after getting a call from a friend telling me about a lovely 70s Jazz bass that they had just got in (second hand of course). Lovely looking and sounding bass but again terrible build quality.

I guess i am saying that Fender are famous for not having very good build quality but producing great sounding and looking products. Thats my experience anyway.

Depends how big the neck pocket is. I've had some HUGE ones from American Standards (2008 onwards models) and sent them all back.

If its just a very very small gap, maybe you'd find the next one would be worse?

Actually, it doesn't matter. If you aren't happy, send it back. Make them pick it up as well.

I might go G&L, this is the only model Fender that I actually like :mellow: . The crappy pics are from my phone. I assure you, that you can see inside the pocket including the little stripe of paint from around where the stand was holding it. Anyway, here's some pics. If you think I'm being picky then please be honest!

[url="http://postimage.org/gallery/xaurphk/507f66fb/"]http://postimage.org/gallery/xaurphk/507f66fb/[/url]

Every other angle is snug.

With my legal head on, write and tell them you reject the goods as of unsatisfactory quality. Invite them to collect as soon as possible, if need be go see the citizens advice bureau
But do it soon

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1336659679' post='1649075']
If you don't send it back the irritation will fester until you can't stand it any more, at which point you'll sell it on.... for a big loss.

Best thing is to send it back now.
[/quote]

Absolutely true.
Send it back and try before you buy the next one.

For the same money as an American Precision, you could get a Shuker P (no worries about massive waiting periods either, he usually has a few bodies and necks knocking about) or a top of the range G&L. Both of which are practically guaranteed to not suffer from those issues and share very similar aesthetics as a 'proper' Precision bass.

I'm also throw out there that my Blazer has no deadspots or neck pocket issues and although it has a slightly ill fitting neck socket, there are no deadspots on my Encore either.

I'd send it back straight away and demand a refund for the cost of the bass and the postage. I'd then spend the money on a Yamaha BB2024x.

Truckstop

I have to say in advance that I'm not a fan of bolt-on necks and consequently don't have many instruments featuring this construction, but of the ones that I do have only one had any kind of gap anywhere around the neck pocket, and that's the Tokai Talbo which has wooden neck and aluminium body and therefore needs to allow for the differing thermal expansions of the two materials.

You'll have to send it back or forever have the hump with it

However, 2 sheets of paper is not a huge gap, might be worth a cold call to fender and ask what they'd deem the maximum gap passable on a new model

As for dead spots, your paying for each note on the board to sing if it's new

Each to their own re gaps on the neck pockets, and what is acceptable or not, but my thoughts are if I don`t instantly love a bass, I`m unlikely to grow into loving it. And this is what I sense from the OP.

Distance Selling Regs - send it back, you`ve tried, not 100% happy, it will only niggle away, and as said, you`ll end up selling it on here for a lot less.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336665977' post='1649205']
I'd say from the pics that it looks fairly normal. However, that's irrelevant, so if you're not happy then send it back.
[/quote]
^ this.

Your photos show a normal Fender to me and there are worse examples than that. Even so, if you don't feel good with it then send it back because it will bug you forever.

If build quality is really important you're best off trying before buying if you have access to any decent shops.

Good luck.

I'm going to call up tomorrow and explain to them I'm not happy, certainly disappointed. I'll have to get a train ticket to the city centre and try every store in Birmingham to find a decent one. Unfortunately as mentioned I got this £100 cheaper so it will mean I will have to spend slightly more to get a good one. I don't mind this. I did phone up a lot of stores before ordering and the best quote was £30 cheaper :angry: . If I can't get this model then it's most likely G&L. Thanks a lot for the replys, I was unsure if it was only me but it seems the majority of other people would react the same way as I did.

[quote name='Mark_Bass' timestamp='1336681409' post='1649559']
Sorry to read your woes dude,
i'd send it back for sure or it'll dampen the enjoyment when you play.
And unless its rrreally rare then i'd always try before i buy even if i have pay a little bit extra.

Keep us posted!
[/quote]

Will do! Perhaps I'll fall in love with one of the 2012 revisions of the standard. I have to admit, I'm a little biased to anything Leo designed!

Never bought a bass with dead spots, so that would be a big concern to me. The neck pocket issue doesn't seem to be a big issue, after reading the thread i was expecting far worse than the pics showed. Should be better on a new bass though.
Basically, you're not happy though, and it should go back asap. General rule, try before you buy, or get an in-hand description at the very least if inspection isn't possible.

Hope you get a positive response.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336684207' post='1649609']
Never bought a bass with dead spots, so that would be a big concern to me. The neck pocket issue doesn't seem to be a big issue, after reading the thread i was expecting far worse than the pics showed. Should be better on a new bass though.
Basically, you're not happy though, and it should go back asap. General rule, try before you buy, or get an in-hand description at the very least if inspection isn't possible.

Hope you get a positive response.
[/quote]

It's kind of strange, there's a thread on talkbass and also a few comments here in which some people guarantee at least 1 deadspot and then there are others on the contrary saying there are many Fender-ish bolt-ons without deadspots. :unsure: I also know some people may have expected a bigger gap, but I did pay for new from a dealer and it's still IMO not acceptable. I am very picky, but I also only own one bass at a time so want it to be almost perfect.

Definitely going to the city centre in person to buy once returned. I bought a Gibson LP Jr once which was laughable (it made this bass look perfect by comparison!) Thankfully the good guys at GAK paid return postage after offering me a reasonable discount. I'm not sure this company will pay return but we'll see.

Lesson learned! :P

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336665977' post='1649205']
I'd say from the pics that it looks fairly normal. [/quote]This.

That looks pretty good for a lot of Fenders but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest once it played and sounded well. If you look at the price of 70's Fenders in particular and check the neck pockets in some of the ads, you'll find this isn't an issue for a lot of people ;) Quite a lot of your favourite records were played on instruments with bigger gaps than that. If you're looking for attention to detail then mass-produced isn't the way.

Still, if it irks you send it back. Personally, once I liked how it played and sounded, I'd just play it and not worry about it.