Why become a member? ×

worried about my baby...

clashcityrocker

Hi all,so after getting my bass out,EBMM sterling, for the first time in a week,I have noticed the neck seems to have 'moved' slightly. The first 3 frets on the D and G strings buzz like buggery (was perfect before,only 4 months old you see),she is kept in her hard case in the understairs cupboard,which none of the walls are outside walls. Could this be damp what with all the wet weather? Any help would be sweet, gunna take her to get the truss rod adjusted (i swore I wouldn't mess around myself when I got it) Cheers guys
Si

Hey Si

Please don't be afraid of truss rods! They are very simple things and are difficult to get wrong really :)

It sounds like all it needs is a quarter turn anti clockwise. (towards you as you sit with the bass on your knee in the playing position)

luckily EBMM make it even easier by using the spoke wheel adjustment :)

Give it a go :)

Necks will change shape with the seasons, will react to the average humidity in the climate in your country as opposed to the country where the guitar was manufactured and/or stocked, etc.

Yes to tweaking the truss rod as suggested above, plus do have a look at string height at the nut (if you have an adjustable one). And be prepared to re-check and possibly re-set up every 3-4 months!

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1336067560' post='1640490']
Wasted loads getting my bass's set up for me and always ended up tweaking them myself to suit once I had them back so now I just do my own !
[/quote]

Amen to that!
No-one can set your bass up for you..... Than you can.
I've never had to revisit a bass set up (neck relief) due to climatic change.
Fair enough, the Vigier and Status just don't get affected, but either my technique is not affected by such incremental changes, or they just don't happen at all in this part of the world. (Whereas in areas of highly changeable humidity/temperature, I'd expect it to be more of an issue)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1336067875' post='1640495']
ahh the beauty of wood.. no i really mean it... i had a Modulus that just DIDNT move.. but erm... :( the tone..!! the good things in life, you have you put time into... imo
[/quote]

You need an S3 Vigier, best of both worlds!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1336126345' post='1641215']
You need an S3 Vigier, best of both worlds!
[/quote]

Of a Gus. The only time I've needed to adjust the truss rod on any of mine was when I changed the strings on the fretless from Rotosound flat wounds to Pedulla round wounds, which was hardly surprising given the difference in tension between the sets.

You will also perceive any variations a lot more clearly if, like me, you like to keep your action as low as possible. A change by a fraction of a millimetre will cause a buzz where there was none before, and that's how I like it :)

Edited by bluejay

I had to re-do the truss rod on my backup MIM Precision this week. Even though I have rather high action (cos I hit it rather ham-fistedly) there was still a bit of a buzz, where previously there was none. Luckily my main Precision has so far stayed as it was.

Thought this was goint to be a thread about a Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac number.

Not something I've noticed before but my MIM Precision is buzzier than usual, too my Jazz/ P Bitza out of its case and the action is much higher at the 12th than it was, and its almost a quarter tone flat. Hope a truss rod tweek later cures it. or at least cures one of them, got Gigs tomorrow and Monday.

My old Bass collection 301, which lives by the settee is still fine though.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1336132152' post='1641326']
My old Bass collection 301, which lives by the settee is still fine though.
[/quote]

I've never ever had to tweak an SGC Nanyo made Bass Collection ever, other than when changing string gauge or type (i.e. roundwounds that were on my fretless when I bought it were changed to nylonwounds). Or even have to retune one.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1336137153' post='1641451']
I've never ever had to tweak an SGC Nanyo made Bass Collection ever, other than when changing string gauge or type (i.e. roundwounds that were on my fretless when I bought it were changed to nylonwounds). Or even have to retune one.
[/quote]

Yeah, its been great, Had it 20 years almost, and apart from replacing the crap pups its never been touched. Nothing I've ever owned in that time has come close. Just not right for the stuff I play nowadays, and I wish it would growl a bit more.

I have found that the. tension in the neck and the relief is one of the main things that controls playability, feel and to a certain extent tone. My advice would be do more than go following advice on a quarter turn here or a quarter there- more being learning what the optimum is for a setup and learning to diagnose problems yourself and overcome them.

Setting up a bass yourself is fairly easy, it's a kinda 3-way thing between truss rod, intonation and saddle height. It's always worth doing the setup yourself if you can because then it can be adjusted to your exact playing style. If someone else does it, it might be too low for the way you pound the strings with your picking hand and you'll get buzzing and metallic clanky fret noises, or too high for your delicate tickling of the strings and you'll be putting unnecessary effort into fretting the notes.

Tinkering with a bass is one of my favorite things to do. I usually mess about with mine a few times a year just to see what I can do with them really.