Why become a member? ×

what type of effects needed for blues/classic rock?

owen3371

Hi chaps,
Great forum,ive always played without effects for years,i play in a Rory Gallagher tribute band and also do classiic rock covers but i aquired a few pedals,compressor,ashdown overdrive,phaser etc,was wondering do i need anything else? I use a modulus flea bass ,swr equipment and tc electronic stuff for my backline,im a big fan of "less is more"! But i think i need to expand my sounds a wee bit.
Ta.
Owen.
( zero Resistance)

Maybe a compressor (don't know any good ones), tube amp (I recommend the Orange Bass Terror), a fuzz (lots of good ones, like the EHX ones and the Wren and Cuff ones) and an overdrive like the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B that works well with tube amps. :D Also, a wah pedal could potentially be incredibly awesome. The Vox wah works pretty well imo.

Not sure about the quality of fleabasses, but if it works for you..

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335219462' post='1627635']
No effects, Precision bass, probably flatwounds, valve amp, maybe a tuner. That's it.
[/quote]

For blues or classic rock I would tend to agree with this advice. You might want a low gain overdrive or level booster pedal to add a little hair to your sound, but I couldn't think of much else. Not much sounds better than a tube amp breaking up when it's being pushed hard, especially for that kind of music.

It depends on how many folk are in your band. You could go for a bit of overdrive & a low pass filter with a pedal to open it up if there's only one guitarist, maybe even a little slow thick chorus on those slow blues numbers?

At the end of the day, only You know the answer. Now go & have fun playing with effects. :D

As many above state... Precision, lead, amp, cab. Could always try and find the Marshall 4x15 that is on the cover of 'The early years'? One came up on here a few years ago. If you are really keen Telecaster bass with the big neck humbucker. A great band to be in :)

I currently play in a blues trio who throw in the odd rock and pop cover as crowd pleasers.

There's only one pedal I use throughout the set and that's my Xotic BB set to low gain. Just thickens the sound when our front man takes a solo.

I use a compressor for some of the poppy stuff and also for if I need to jam with the drummer (emergency situations when our frontman snaps a string sorta thing). I also use a Darkglass B3K for the odd bass break.

On the whole, I can do my regular gig with no pedals, save for a tuner. I take it as a compliment when musos have said to me "why do you bring a pedal board when you're not going to use it?" after I've used it all gig.

I play in a blues band (guitar, bass, drums, vocal) with a valve compressor warming up my Class D amp, and a valve overdrive, the latter just used sparingly. Can't imagine what other effects I'd want in this context.