Why become a member? ×

wireless systems

ashevans09

Heya,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I've had a couple of wireless systems without much success - my X2 was pretty poor build quality and died reasonably quickly, and my Ashdown freebass or whatever it's called is absolute balls - so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a wireless because frankly, there are loads out there and the majority of the reviews are from guitarists.

I'm willing to pay for quality, however I'd prefer to keep it under £350. Needs to be able to handle an active bass and in a perfect world would be rack-mountable too :) . Also, it needs to be reasonably robust cos it's going on tour.

Thanks for any help!

Ash

Yes!

Stageclix rocks. Easy to use (I have the pack version but the jack is just as good). Battery is great. It's tiny. Can be powered on 9v daisy chains with your effects pedals (if you have a board) and I honestly can not tell the different between that and a high quality cable... Even when I'm in a different room!

Stageclix gets my vote too, heard it, but I haven't got one yet! :( cheapest i've seen the Jack system at is £350.

The Line 6 ones (g30, g50, and the other rackmount one) are amazing too, not quite as high quality or as convenient as the Stageclix but I would say they're as close as you're gonna get. The g30 is also quite a bit cheaper than Stageclix

Line 6 G30 gets my vote. Used one for a year or so now and no complaints at all. I use rechargeable batteries so low running costs. I was put off the Stageclix by the need to recharge the transmitter from the receiver and as my receiver is permanently mounted in my pedal board it meant I could only charge the transmitter when I'd got to gigs and set up.

G30 here too. If you're only looking for the extra range, don't bother with the G50 or G90, by the time your signal's cutting out on a G30, there's a very obvious delay between you playing a note and hearing it and it's very hard to stay in time. The range is far more than the specs suggest anyway.

If you want the extra channels or for it to be rackmounted, then the 50 or 90 might be worth a look, otherwise don't bother.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1334186718' post='1612452']
When I wonder off round a venue with my G30 I don't have a timing issue at all, the rest of the band do though. :lol:
[/quote]

If you go far enough your timing might still be fine, but it'll be at a different time to the rest of the band :D At least assuming they're in time with each other haha!

Another happy G30 user here. Mine's sort-of-rack-mount in that a couple of Velcro tabs secure it to otherwise useless space in the back of my rack; I've never had any issues with it being out of line-of-sight, alongside a load of metal and power cables and with both guitarists using G30s too. I actively prefer the 30 over the 50 or 90 because you can use 'proper' cables with it.

Line6 G50 here - veeerrrrrrrrrrrrry good. I use disposable batteries, Duracell Ultra AA's, one pair is good for a few practices and a couple of gigs at least so the battery cost is not high.

EDIT: the receiver fits on a pedal board and has a Boss-style standard 9V power requirement, so it's pretty handy too :)

Edited by aldude

Hmm, I think I'm leaning towards a stageclix, to those using a stageclix, where's the best price I can get one? I'm tempted by the line 6 simply because they're easier to pick up second hand.

Also to people who own both the line 6 and the stageclix, how to they cope when out of line of sight/with an active bass?

Thanks

Ash

The G30 has no problems with line of sight, I've never had it drop out ever for any reason and it's been used in all kinds of venues, through walls, outdoors, whatever you fancy.

I have to move the pack a little bit up my strap or it hums a bit (I guess interferance from the pre-amp on my bass) but it's not noticable while playing anyway and there's still plenty of play in my 6" lead.

[quote name='ashevans09' timestamp='1334235452' post='1612971']
Hmm, I think I'm leaning towards a stageclix, to those using a stageclix, where's the best price I can get one? I'm tempted by the line 6 simply because they're easier to pick up second hand.

Also to people who own both the line 6 and the stageclix, how to they cope when out of line of sight/with an active bass?

Thanks

Ash
[/quote]

BassGear near Reading stock them - currently listing at £359 http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/accessories/digital/stageclix-jack-system/

I know they've got a spring sale on at the moment and not all prices are listed on their website - might be worth emailing them to see if there's a deal available :)

I've tried one by the way, thought it was great - managed to walk to the other side of the store car park without losing signal!

G50 user here and have had no problems with mine apart from the supplied cable crapping out after 9 months.

I played hell up with line 6 as it happened during a gig (when only drums and bass were currently playing an intro riff) and they refunded me the £25 I spent on a replacement (with uprated bits such as neutrik silent jack plug and a longer better quality cable - 54cm to 70cm)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1334249930' post='1613280']
I've been using my budget Sennheiser Freeport for a couple of years now. Never had any reception issues, and keeps my tone intact. Not in the same price, and i assume quality, bracket as the ones mentioned above though.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

+1 - I bought a Freeport from JohnG.

• 3 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread I guess!

To all you wireless users, which do you think is better? Line 6 G50 or Stageclix Jack?

Things I like about the Stageclix are that you can use the receiver as a battery charger which is super handy, and I'm thinking a jack would be easier than a pack... I cba with the cables and trying to attach it to my strap. The one thing putting me off is that my mate who has tried out both said that the stageclix was pretty plasticy, didnt feel that solid. Doesnt sound right seeing as the G50 is cheaper and made of metal right?

cheers

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1342180585' post='1730943'] Time to resurrect this thread I guess! To all you wireless users, which do you think is better? Line 6 G50 or Stageclix Jack? Things I like about the Stageclix are that you can use the receiver as a battery charger which is super handy, and I'm thinking a jack would be easier than a pack... I cba with the cables and trying to attach it to my strap. The one thing putting me off is that my mate who has tried out both said that the stageclix was pretty plasticy, didnt feel that solid. Doesnt sound right seeing as the G50 is cheaper and made of metal right? cheers [/quote]

Very happy G50 user here! Been using mine for two years and have done about 100 gigs with it. Solidly built, metal housing on the receiver, battery life is about 6 hours, but with the battery meter on both the transmitter pack and receiver, there's no excuse if you run flat :blush:

Great tone, and the cable simulator really works. Sit's front and central on my amp head and haven't had any problems with signal drop in any of the venues we play (small pubs right up to large bike rallies). Best thing I ever bought and is actually as much use in small venues when you are practically stood on top of your amp as in the larger places, not standing on your lead every two seconds is big plus for me.

If mine was to give up the ghost tomorrow, I'd be buying a replacement in a shot.