Why become a member? ×

Queens Jubilee and the Sex Pistols

The covers band I play in sporadically has been asked to play a Jubilee Street Party gig in June which should be pretty good fun.

We're cobbling together a set list of sorts, and God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols was proposed by the singer. Our guitarist fired back its an anti monarchy song and completely inappropriate to play on a jubilee holiday.

Seems to have split the band a bit so thought I'd poll to see what you lot thought.

Personally, I dont mind playing it - I think I'd quite enjoy the irony, assuming the masses dont decide to burn the stage down!

Go!

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Well, if your [s]guitarist[/s] singer wants to get smacked in the kisser by a shaven-headed, middle-aged bloke in a union-jack t-shirt, who are we to demur?

I can see the initial attraction of the idea, but why play a song which may polarise one's audience when one can play another which everyone will like? But don't let me stand in the way. I rather look forward to reading the press reports.

[font=courier new, courier, monospace][size=3]Edit for: Stupid idea misattribution.[/size][/font]

Edited by skankdelvar

Well the original title of the song was No Future. Fairly sure a lot of McLaren Spin, focusing on the opening lines of each verse, coupled with the Silver Jubilee, ensured the name change.

So if anyone moans, tell them the songs called No Future - you won`t be lying.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1333101955' post='1597334']
Sounds like a pretty childish idea to me, and guaranteed to offend & upset people if you're playing a street party to celebrate the Queens jubilee that will have people from all generations attending.
[/quote]

Quite so - young people aren't going to want to listen to that old-time rubbish :lol:

Great idea, why do
[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1333100912' post='1597297']
Reckon you'll be treading on dangerous ground there :D

I think it'd be like getting hired to play at Gordon Ramseys birthday party and then sticking 'Gordon Is A Moron' into the set list.
He might find it funny, but the chances are that he wouldn't...
[/quote]

Or if you played "News of the World" by the Jam at Rupert Murdoch's birthday bash. Mind you everyone hates him so I would say go for it!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1333108631' post='1597495']
the Jam at Rupert Murdoch's birthday bash. [/quote]

"Dad!"

"Yes, James?"

"As it's your birthday and you've probably not got many left, we're doing something special this year."

"What?"

"We're hiring a Jam tribute band. And the twist is, they only play Bruce Foxton's songs."

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1333104260' post='1597376']
I'd say go for it. But then I didn't realise that people still get offended by it. I didn't really realise people still cared that much about the queen, to be quite honest. I should probably watch the news more. ._.
[/quote]

A lot of older people (i.e. pensionable age) still care very much about the Queen, and as a Jubilee Celebration party is likely to have older people in attendance then I think, personally, that to play that song at an event where the sole purpose is to celebrate the monarchy would be disrespectful to them.

Do a latin-ey/'jazz' version like this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xq5WpfjgMk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xq5WpfjgMk[/url]

Or get these girls to play it for you!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHaqgVp3TY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lHaqgVp3TY&feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1333104260' post='1597376']
I'd say go for it. But then I didn't realise that people still get offended by it. I didn't really realise people still cared that much about the queen, to be quite honest. I should probably watch the news more. ._.
[/quote]

I have always had a very simple rule in life, never manufacture a situation that's likely to turn around and bite you in the arse.
I'm 48 years old and have never punched anyone or been punched - I'm kinda proud of that. :)

My views on the monarchy are fairly well known here (I think we could do without them) but if you've been asked to play at a Jubilee party it's a bit much to play a song like that. t might give a few people a laugh and you might never get a gig there again.
If you have strong views against the monarchy , either don't do the gig , or just play it and think of the money.