Why become a member? ×

Quandary. blow out gig for better payer..?

JTUK

We had a relatively slack month in June so I went out and got us some pub dates.
We are quite picky with pubs and this one is local, pays ok and has very good passing trade, all of which generally gets us
other dates
We haven't been back there recently so I was more than keen on the gig....but..
we have been offered a wedding for 4 times the fee on the same date, and it was only last week that I confirmed with the
pub.

My gut feeling is to stick with the pub..I just think I would feel better to honour it..but I think I'll get outvoted if it comes to that.

It goes without saying that I don't think it will do us any good to blow out gigs too often and get known for it...

And, of course, weddings are weddings and can go any way, blinding or boring.
When I put the band together, I didn't want us to be a function/wedding band ...........and we don't play functions/wedding sets...
but we just can't seem to help getting them.........

what would you do...?

Edited by JTUK

Hmmm, tricky for sure. Just be honest with the pub landlord; you werent to know that a wedding gig was on the horizon when you booked with him so see if he wouldnt mind having you guys some other time. I'm he'll understand that you can't refuse that sort of money!

Truckstop

I think the wedding gig will probably cut it - you can't deny that money is very important to people at the minute, and a chance to earn some shouldn't be lightly passed up.

I'd be honest with the pub landlord and offer him/her another night.

I want to honour the gig..but know I will get outvoted.
I will just make a point that I will not undo this gig, and those that want to blow it out can sort the mess with the pub.

Still, don't like though...and It wont be this once, either, I am pretty sure...which is what makes me most uncomfortable

Dificult call , but I would argue it is yours to make, you arranged the pub gig and it was in the band diary first.
The band should respect the decision you make , and if this would appear to be a bone of contention it needs some sort of policy set up to agree how the outcome is decided.

If you go to the pub straight away they've got plenty of notice so the landlord should be ok. It sounds like they do plenty of music so he / she will have plenty of contacts. If you're honest with the landlord about how much you get for weddings he'll probably be keen to keep you sweet as you're band is clearly more than worth what he'll be paying you. This is a million miles away from a band that cancels the day before and leaves the pub in the sh*t.

I'd discuss the predicament with the pub and try to rearrange the gig. But if not possible then, ultimately, I'd honour the first booking.

As for being out-voted by the others, I'd regard that as them saying they're moving on - all of them!

What if you blow the pub gig out for the wedding, then an even better offer comes in? Will you then blow away the wedding gig? At that rate, word will eventually get around that you're all completely unreliable and the bookings will dry up - and deservedly so in my book.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1331753960' post='1578400']
Is the pub gig advertised yet? If not a quick word with the landlord might sort it. You could offer to play on another night for free to make up for it. If the wedding pays X4 the pub gig ye'll still be up money.
[/quote]

I can't see us doing it for free, that is for sure...but as it is June, there is time to rearrange from their POV..
It just will not be me telling the Landlord we can't do it after I spent last week getting it..

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1331756615' post='1578465']
I'd discuss the predicament with the pub and try to rearrange the gig. But if not possible then, ultimately, I'd honour the first booking.

As for being out-voted by the others, I'd regard that as them saying they're moving on - all of them!

What if you blow the pub gig out for the wedding, then an even better offer comes in? Will you then blow away the wedding gig? At that rate, word will eventually get around that you're all completely unreliable and the bookings will dry up - and deservedly so in my book.
[/quote]

I will get outvoted...and what is as bad, is that one member has already said, it will be fine, he will have a word with the Pub LL... hmmm
Plus we have already done this once this year to another pub..I was away on holiday so was not party to what was going on, but I went in that pub the other week and I got asked what was going on...
Again..I did not like that.

I will be voting for honouring the pub date...and as you say, what next, blow out other commitments if a better gig comes along...???

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1331754063' post='1578406']
Dificult call , but I would argue it is yours to make, you arranged the pub gig and it was in the band diary first.
The band should respect the decision you make , and if this would appear to be a bone of contention it needs some sort of policy set up to agree how the outcome is decided.
[/quote]

Agreed... We need to thrash this out. Am also not happy with treating pubs with less resoect as I feel they provide bread and butter gigs which hone the band.
We are fortunate that we are getting quite a few party gigs, but I think we are in danger of letting too many people down too easily and too readily..

We have had to pull out of doing any pub dates in one town as the pub/pubs complained about a ticketed gig we were involved in supposedly taking away business.
The ticketed gig was put on by a brewery from that town that also serves the pubs that complained..

Anyway...a pattern is emerging...hmmmm and not to our credit, I feel

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1331757667' post='1578505']
Even if money is *important* if I've agreed to do a gig (especially if it's a proper contract, written down) then I would honour the agreement. To do otherwise is scrote behaviour.
[/quote]

Its a pub date and verbal agreement as they all are, so not contracted, but even so...

Band meeting and we need a policy.

And the after-taste of this is, that I will not really want to get involved with gettings dates anymore... if I know they will get bumped so readily.

The best I can hope for is we quote too high a sum for the wedding gig and lose it...or the bride calls it off pretty damn quick..!!

You are right.... weddings can go one of two ways..... you won't know till you're there.

If you're not keen on becoming a function band then stick to the pubs and you'll get regular bookings. I get the feeling that you want to do the pub gig anyway.

If it was me, I'd take the payer.... but then I don't really play pubs as a rule.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1331758371' post='1578538']
You are right.... weddings can go one of two ways..... you won't know till you're there.

If you're not keen on becoming a function band then stick to the pubs and you'll get regular bookings. I get the feeling that you want to do the pub gig anyway.

If it was me, I'd take the payer.... but then I don't really play pubs as a rule.
[/quote]

I put all the guys together and was adamant that functions were better served by bands that were set up to do them.
This was agreed by everyone back then and we do not cater much for a function set either.
I know money seems a factor with 2 of the guys, atm..and nobody really wants to turn down the easy money for what we offer,
which seems to be what a lot of parties/functions want, btw...in terms of a live show...
We only do a few pubs anyway..and there are pubs and pubs so it is not as though we'll take anything.

I just think we have lost our way..and this is another example of us doing what suits rather than doing what is right.
I agree, I would do the pub..as I got us the gig...after promptings from the main guy who now wants to cancel because of a better date..
But...I am pretty certain this pub LL would have no compunction blowing us out if they wanted...

It is not..as far as I know..that we even know who this wedding party is...

I have decided to make my views known that I will vote for the pub date..so that is another spat about to rear its ugly head..!!!

So, I've been back and forth..but deep down, I think this is also a reaction against one member who seems to do what he wants..and it is mostly for the money.
I think it should be a band decision..even tho I expect to lose the vote in this instance

John, you'll be giving the pub 3 months notice if you cancel now, and that is very fair. We have been cancelled by pubs and promoters at 3 days notice, and they would do the same to you if they had "something come up", so you are not causing any problems by taking the function.

Surely, [size="4"]SURELY, [size=4]the wedding couple will move their date for you? They really need to come to their senses and realise that if they want to do the right thing they should move "their" big day to a Monday or Tuesday evening.[/size][/size]
[size="4"][size=4]Some people are so selfish![/size][/size]
[size="4"][size=4] :)[/size][/size]

Happens all the time and pubs are used to it. They know you're doing their pub for advertising to get the big gigs. As has been said talk to the landlord ask if you can swap weeks with another band.

After all he's getting a quality wedding band that would go out for several hundred quid for a couple of hundred.

Obviously this only works on pub gigs and had you taken a 30th birthday party, for example, then been asked to do a wedding you would have to work on first come first served basis. So in that respect your mercenary friend is wrong.

Edited by TimR