Why become a member? ×

Hipshot drop tuners

gub

I've had one on my Musicman Cutlass for what must be 13 years now and still works a treat. I recently fitted one to my Jazz and just requires the odd tweak here and there at times but I'd deffo recommend one, especially if you're regularly swapping between standard and drop tunings during a set as I do. It's also good for dropping further from a drop tuning (eg D to C), seems to retain the correct pitch despite the lesser string tension.

Yup. Put one on my Wal about 20 years ago. Never had a problem & a great little device.

Particularly fun for confusing other bass & guitar players when you get practised in surreptitiously flicking down & back up again with your thumb mid song B)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331800972' post='1578919']
Brilliant little things. Tuning never seems to slide much. Would probs only use it live. I'd be really paranoid recording with it!
[/quote]
I am licking this idea very much although have problems enough at playing the notes that fast never mind going and twidling a knob! :lol:

Yup, an essential piece of kit for me, because I just don't like 5s. Got them on at least six basses at the mo.

Graphite (aka pencil lead) in the nut, a very very small amount of lube in the tuner itself, and a minimal wrap on the post, good to go. I have used one in the studio, no issues at all.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1331752534' post='1578360']
Anyone have them and recommend them or any problems staying in tune at all ? Just thinking of getting one but a bit worried about tuning issues . Cheers Gub
[/quote]

I have installed them in several basses, love them.
No tuning issues. A drop of oil when you install them to make sure the washer does not stick etc, and they are very reliable.
Go for it!

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1331921125' post='1581002']
I am licking this idea very much although have problems enough at playing the notes that fast never mind going and twidling a knob! :lol:
[/quote]

well, that's where you are going wrong...

all you need to do is a add a drop of oil to the Hipshot and forget it, just play. Licking it is probably goingto result in rusty gears after a while, and you waste a lot of time taking the bass off to reach the tuner with your tongue and then wearing the bass again. If you skip the licking part you'd save that time and as a result play a lot faster ;) :P

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1332102392' post='1583376']
well, that's where you are going wrong...

all you need to do is a add a drop of oil to the Hipshot and forget it, just play. Licking it is probably goingto result in rusty gears after a while, and you waste a lot of time taking the bass off to reach the tuner with your tongue and then wearing the bass again. If you skip the licking part you'd save that time and as a result play a lot faster ;) :P
[/quote]
Ha ha i am licking this too! :lol: