Why become a member? ×

Well, I like the Jazz. But I also like the Precision. Which is better?

mildmanofrock

Seeing as a Jazz is already in ownership, a Precision that won`t break the bank, but is very good is the Classic 50s Precision.

Fantastic basses. There`s one up for grabs on here at present, in black, with gold pickguard, maple neck.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169149-50s-reissue-fender-precision-black-l490

Having had Mexican, US, and Japanese Precisions, I`d put these Classic 50s ones as being slightly behind the US, but not by much at all, and equal to the Japanese, which get very good comments one here.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1331476154' post='1573318']

Is there much difference between made-in-Mexico and made-in-USA Precisions?
[/quote]

The new precisions have a much more modern tone than the ones on all the records from the 60's and 70's. They can offer more in terms of bass and more in terms of brightness but the low mid growl that i love from the 60's in particular seems to be missing.

In build quality there is very little difference. Both have some batches that are just not up to scratch though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331482103' post='1573453']
Seeing as a Jazz is already in ownership, a Precision that won`t break the bank, but is very good is the Classic 50s Precision.

[/quote]

only trouble with these is the huge baseball bat neck. Could be difficult to get used to when you mostly play a thin neck jazz bass.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1331464019' post='1573035']
For me it depends on what sort of thing you're playing. I love precision tone but moved to a jazz because I found that the P tended to fall back in the mix as I went up the neck.
with the jazz you lose a bit of low end balls but get more focus and power higher up.
I'd still like to get a 5 string P for sight reading gigs.
[/quote]

I always found Js to sound much weedier up the neck. Must be me.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331483486' post='1573482']
The new precisions have a much more modern tone than the ones on all the records from the 60's and 70's. They can offer more in terms of bass and more in terms of brightness but the low mid growl that i love from the 60's in particular seems to be missing.

In build quality there is very little difference. Both have some batches that are just not up to scratch though.

only trouble with these is the huge baseball bat neck. Could be difficult to get used to when you mostly play a thin neck jazz bass.
[/quote]

There is that. Take a bit of getting used to, a few cramps in the fretting hand for a say or two, then hopefully the hand adjusts - it did when I bought mine, though was already a Precision player anyway.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1331477284' post='1573336']
Im using a Mex built Roger Waters P and the build quality and playabilty is top notch. Ive tried US P's that were dogs and some were sublime.

For the price difference, I dont think the US ones are THAT much better than the Mex ones. IMHO. I also picked up a Squier CV thats really well put together.
[/quote]

Cheers Raggy. I see you're from round my neck of the woods. When are you gigging next?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331482103' post='1573453']

Fantastic basses. There`s one up for grabs on here at present, in black, with gold pickguard, maple neck.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169149-50s-reissue-fender-precision-black-l490"]http://basschat.co.u...sion-black-l490[/url]

Having had Mexican, US, and Japanese Precisions, I`d put these Classic 50s ones as being slightly behind the US, but not by much at all, and equal to the Japanese, which get very good comments one here.
[/quote]

I like the look of that.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331483486' post='1573482']

[/quote]

I think the bigger neck will be fine. I've played some big old trunks in my time. :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331483824' post='1573488']
I always found Js to sound much weedier up the neck. Must be me.
[/quote]

Not found that myself. But I do fancy getting a bit of a weightier tone out of a Precision.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1331487865' post='1573593']
There is that. Take a bit of getting used to, a few cramps in the fretting hand for a say or two, then hopefully the hand adjusts - it did when I bought mine, though was already a Precision player anyway.
[/quote]

Very true. Fat, thin... I like 'em in all shapes and sizes. ;)

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1331488657' post='1573618']
Jazz is more comfortable to play. :)
[/quote]

True, but sometimes I like to grab hold of something big and meaty. Matron!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331488706' post='1573623']
You could try a Squier CV P and if you didn't like it you wouldn't lose much by selling it on... My 2p. :D
I find that P and J pickups together just don't blend very well. YMMV, IMHO, etc.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331488766' post='1573626']
Me too, hooray! :lol:
[/quote]

I've been sniffing round those - they look very nice.

Mexican or US, well, I'd say it depends ... I own a MiM Precision that I'd never give away for any US, but I've played quite mediocre Mexico-Fenders, as well as slightly disappointing US ones. So I'd say try out as many as you can - there's even excellent Squier models, I've seen amazingly good ones, especially the Matt Freeman Series can easily compete with most MiM and even some US ones, in my opinion!

If you're looking for a best-of-both-worlds alternative, you really should try the old Japan-made Jazz Bass Specials. Owned one myself, didn't get along with the JB neck ... But sound is amazing, not a compromise at all, but really good J-tones as well as great P-sounds! Now it's my girlfriend's main bass, and she wouldn't give it back anyway ;)

Edited by ratking

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1331465650' post='1573086']
Fender Roscoe Beck.

Both pups in single-coil mode, you have a Jazz. Solo the neck, and switch it to series, near-as-damn-it P. Both in series is just ridiculous. Laahvley.
[/quote]
Agreed. But sadly lacking a pot of blend for the pick-ups.

[quote name='ratking' timestamp='1331492487' post='1573726']
Mexican or US, well, I'd say it depends ... I own a MiM Precision that I'd never give away for any US, but I've played quite mediocre Mexico-Fenders, as well as slightly disappointing US ones. So I'd say try out as many as you can - there's even excellent Squier models, I've seen amazingly good ones, especially the Matt Freeman Series can easily compete with most MiM and even some US ones, in my opinion!

If you're looking for a best-of-both-worlds alternative, you really should try the old Japan-made Jazz Bass Specials. Owned one myself, didn't get along with the JB neck ... But sound is amazing, not a compromise at all, but really good J-tones as well as great P-sounds! Now it's my girlfriend's main bass, and she wouldn't give it back anyway ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts, Ratking.

Trying out lots of different basses is a bit difficult. There aren't many decent music shops round these parts. So, in lieu of being able to try them out, I'm attempting to pick a model that's got a good chance of being great. It's risky, I know. :)

Been a Jazz player for years. That envelope is huge. Ethereal analogue tones. A little compression at the right Hz at the gig evens out the high-neck low-neck differential. Like an old faithfull undying love affair.

Recently acquired P (from Flat Eric via Danweb).... changing the saddles for grooved vintage style puts the strings right between the pole-pieces, vintage Fender Gotohs with a 28:1 ratio fined up the tuning slackness... went to town and dropped in CTS pots and overwound custom shop '62 P-Bass pick-ups.... dream Precison, chaps.... [i]dream[/i] Precision. Like a new youthful bit on the side.

The Jazz is still me go-to mind, tho' loving the P. So different.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1331595644' post='1575725']
Recently acquired P (from Flat Eric via Danweb).... changing the saddles for grooved vintage style puts the strings right between the pole-pieces, vintage Fender Gotohs with a 28:1 ratio fined up the tuning slackness... went to town and dropped in CTS pots and overwound custom shop '62 P-Bass pick-ups... dream Precison, chaps... [i]dream[/i] Precision. Like a new youthful bit on the side.
[/quote]

Excellent! Another excuse to link to my recently-acquired dream Precision... :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169698-my-custom-precision-has-landed/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169698-my-custom-precision-has-landed/[/url]

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1331595644' post='1575725']
Been a Jazz player for years. That envelope is huge. Ethereal analogue tones. A little compression at the right Hz at the gig evens out the high-neck low-neck differential. Like an old faithfull undying love affair.

Recently acquired P (from Flat Eric via Danweb).... changing the saddles for grooved vintage style puts the strings right between the pole-pieces, vintage Fender Gotohs with a 28:1 ratio fined up the tuning slackness... went to town and dropped in CTS pots and overwound custom shop '62 P-Bass pick-ups.... dream Precison, chaps.... [i]dream[/i] Precision. Like a new youthful bit on the side.

The Jazz is still me go-to mind, tho' loving the P. So different.
[/quote]

Sounds a beaut. Got any pics?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331596564' post='1575743']
Excellent! Another excuse to link to my recently-acquired dream Precision... :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169698-my-custom-precision-has-landed/"]http://basschat.co.u...ion-has-landed/[/url]
[/quote]

That's gorgeous. How much did that set you back, if it's not a rude question? :)

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1331619237' post='1575844']
If you already have a Jazz then i'd deffo go for a Precision. There's always a good old Tokai to consider?
[/quote]

Thanks - I'll look into those, cheers.