Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show '12 - how was it for you?

visog

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1330944643' post='1564975']
A good day out although that Nigel Clutterbuck was nothing short of a pain in the arse, Not only was he doing his usual percusive nonesence that was way to loud, that aint bass playing ,don't get me wrong I love a bit of slap but do it as it is intended, he didn't even stay on his own stool he tried other stuff on the other stools and was just generally polluting everybody elses space.
I bet if you sat him down and said I don't know er "play Dock of the bay" you would see a blank face.
Not a good ad for Rotosound.
I spoke to Jason on the Roto stand and said "why do you bring him?".
[b]I wanted to get him a warwick t shirt with the big W on it, I thought it could stand for something else for the day.[/b]
Has anyone ever seen him play in a band or with anyone else, No well that says something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great day ruined by a NOB!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's why I stopped wearing mine!

[quote name='Rhythmsync' timestamp='1331214027' post='1569504']
I had a Good time at the show and spoke to many many peolpe -including Doug Wimbish- who wanted to know what the hell I was doing..
[/quote]

This made me laugh.

Doug "Hey man, what are you doing?"
Nigel "Yeah, check this out"
Doug "OK, perhaps I should have rephrased that. Why?"

:P

PS - I have seen Nigel at shows and I have to say there are as many people impressed as not. Each to their own... it's certainly a skill even if it's not your bag. You only have to look on YouTube to see that there are enough people impressed. I thought it was pretty cool when I first saw it.

I spent the weekend there and had a great time, catching up with Steve Lawson, Stuart Clayton, Mike Flynn and many more as well as meeting lots of new people. I'm still in awe of how nice a person Doug Wimbish is! The noise was hard going at times but once I worked out that the trick was to try stuff just as the playing started again, I got to try a lot of nice new stuff ( and came away with a Yamaha TRB1006 as a result). Surprise hit of the show for me was the Dubstep masterclass, really interesting and more importantly MUSICAL.

See you next year!
Cheers
Alun

First of all sir, allow me to [b]apologise [/b]for ruining your day!
etc..
[/quote]

I have to admit that I've not (knowingly) at least checked out your playing.

However hats off for coming on and saying your piece, I think frustration of the day may not of helped in the earlier posts :)

Hello all,

Firstly I'm glad that most of you had a good time at the show.

Regarding the noise issues, I sympathise entirely. I would say the show this year was definitely quieter than last year's. However, this feedback has also come from exhibitors on the day too, so you're not alone. In light of this we're currently investigating ways around it for next year. There are some options, such as soundproof booths that can be used on a time slot basis (ie 15 minute sessions max before others get to use the booth), sound marshalls with dB meters who will strictly enforce the quiet times (to the point of possibly turning off the power to stands, liken the do at Frankfurt Musikmesse), ensuring all stands are equipped with headphones like the chaps from Strings and Things (Ernie Ball), Bass Gear and other exhibitors and so on.

Obviously we've got a lot of time between now and the 2013 show to explore the options that best satisfy all parties, and if any possible visitors are concerned before booking a ticket next year I'd urge them to contact us either via the website or phone nearer the time and we can confirm what we'll be doing to keep the noise levels acceptable.

I do think it's important for people to be a little pragmatic - after all if an amp manufacturer is demoing their high powered heads and cabinet stacks, well they'll want them to be loud at times to show off what they can do. Some noise is obviously part and parcel with a show like this, but all points are noted and we're striving to improve things for 2013.

cheers

Ben

Edited by bencooper

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1331220566' post='1569706']
Hello all,

Regarding the noise issues, I sympathise entirely. I would say the show this year was definitely quieter than last year's. However, this feedback has also come from exhibitors on the day too, so you're not alone. In light of this we're currently investigating ways around it for next year. There are some options, such as soundproof booths that can be used on a time slot basis (ie 15 minute sessions max before others get to use the booth), sound marshalls with dB meters who will strictly enforce the quiet times (to the point of possibly turning off the power to stands, liken the do at Frankfurt Musikmesse), ensuring all stands are equipped with headphones like the chaps from Strings and Things (Ernie Ball), Bass Gear and other exhibitors and so on.

Obviously we've got a lot of time between now and the 2013 show to explore the options that best satisfy all parties, and if any possible visitors are concerned before booking a ticket next year I'd urge them to contact us either via the website or phone nearer the time and we can confirm what we'll be doing to keep the noise levels acceptable.

I do think it's important for people to be a little pragmatic - after all if an amp manufacturer is demoing their high powered heads and cabinet stacks, well they'll want them to be loud at times to show off what they can do. Some noise is obviously part and parcel with a show like this, but all points are noted and we're striving to improve things for 2013.

cheers

Ben
[/quote]I wasn't too desperately bothered by the noise MOST of the time, but then I had my ACS moulded plugs in, and I spent a lot of time in the theatre or masterclass rooms.

So far as high powered amp manufacturers demoing gear is concerned perhapos they should follow Marshall's lead at the music show every year I have been to that and hire in a sound proofed cube.

Still enjoyed myself again though, even if what I was hoping to pick up (another MONO strap) wasn't available, and the lovely people on the Overwater stand got me into all sorts of trouble at home with their pincer movement sale at the end of the afternoon :huh: ... well I am expecting trouble at some point. It seems to have been stored to be held against me for future use at the mo :lol:

I had a really good time...although I spend all my time in the masterclasses and shows. I think Amps manufacturers want to prove volume..whih is a problem you can't solve with headphones. I am not a great player, but some of the guys trying to slap while trying out amps, were terrible.
Always good to pay homage to the Status stand, and give Stuart at bassline publishing more of my money.

[quote name='bencooper' timestamp='1331220566' post='1569706']
Hello all,

cheers

Ben
[/quote]

Hi Ben,
Well done for coming on here with such a positive post :). Soundproof booths being available for 15 minute slots is heading in the right direction, as is the option of marshalls policing the db levels. IMO we all appreciate the fact that there will be a fair amount of volume where amp manufacturers are dipsplaying their wares by some of the pros or their allocated demonstrator (which is fair enough).

I think we'd all really like to see the show continue to be a regular event and it would be a shame if it went downhill if people got hacked off because of the issues highlighted previously by those of us who attended both this year's & last year's event.

I have attended numerous trade shows , motor shows , bike show , photographic and Hi - fi shows , all these shows will involve a certain amount of noise , but certainly not to the same extent as the Bass show .
At the NEC motorbike shows , you don't get 15 year olds starting up race prepped R1's or Fireblades and revving the [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] out of them just to impress there mates , even if they have paid their admission fee just like every one else .
As far as Mr Rotosound man is concerned , he has a fabulous thumb technique , put him in a masterclass where we can all benefit from his talents on a more structured and informative level ( ie , tell us your secrets ! )
Hopefully next year will be brilliant , sad to have missed Yolanda Charles .

:tatice_03:

First of all sir, allow me to [b]apologise [/b]for ruining your day!
Someone brought this post to my attention and thought I'd check it out...
Not being a Bassplayer for over 30 years now, I was confused by One or Two of your remarks,,
-Play slap like it was intended?!?
How does that work?
Maybe like on Double Bass in the 1920's with Pops Foster or Steve Brown-
Or more like Larry Graham and the Great Louise Johnson of the 70's
Mark King 80's... It goes on...
How about-- Athletes should run a mile properly like Roger Bannister!
Now I fully understand it's not everyones cup of Tea and belive me there's know one more tiered of my licks than me!!
That's why I got to where I am now, through constanatly searching out and discovering New techniques to push the style forward.
It's a rhythmical passion of mine! Maybe I should of played Drums or better still Tablas!

What is -:Dock of Bay!, maybe I should learn that One and everyone will watch enthralled.
I had a Good time at the show and spoke to many many peolpe -including Doug Wimbish- who wanted to know what the hell I was doing..
I of course obliged and showed them my right hand techniqe in conjunction with my left...
Slap Bass to me sounds to basic a terminology to describe where the style has progressed to these days.
I call it Rhythmsync, and it's played on a Bass!
Oh,,, I've played with lots of bands over the years from Jerry Donahue to bands with Proff Brian Cox in,,
Here's me and Brian back in 1991 with Thin Lizzy's keyboard player on Vox..

I play lots of styles as I Am a Bassplayer!!!
anyway... Eye for an Eye...
As your status suggests, it maybe you Sir who if a Fully fledged Member!
:biggrin:
[/quote]

Sir, I don't know you from Adam, I've never heard of you so yours creds don't work for me; though I did see Jerry at a gig a few months ago & he held the place raptured without you - or any other slap player.
But if you'd checked out last years thread on the same subject, the recent post(s) on here about hoping that the gig isn't ruined by slap & the fact that it is again a bone of contention here maybe you should be a bit professional & realise that it's just a racket after a while - and many folk are sick of it.
I saw the vid from last year & like many/most others I got bored after less than two minutes - that's what it is to many - boring - and that is a hell of a tag for a pro musician to have.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331119016' post='1567835']
twas a joke :) shame you don't slap though as the fender MM and lakland 44-02 are two of my favourite basses to slap on. Proper old school!
[/quote]

I know don't worry ;)

I learned to slap when I was younger, but soon grew out of it. The MM is a fantastic bass, whether slapped, picked or played with fingers - I;ve noticed a couple of meta;/hardcore bands use them aswell, which shows the great range of tones that they can deliver. The MM is 'My' sound - I'll always keep hold of that bass!

The 44-02 is fantastic as well, I can get pretty much any sound I want out of it! I was hoping to see a few more at the show, but never mind!

Lets keep this thread as friendly as possible please. It's too easy to hide behind your screens and throw the toys out of the pram. I think it's a bit harsh to direct the days frustrations on to one person. How many people who are complaining about all the slap actually did something about it at the time? Or just complained about 'the other stands'. Yes, Nigel does slap and so does Doug and T.M. But they weren't beating three shades of crap out of their basses for 8 hours constantly. So mebbe directing your 'pops' solely at Nigel is actually a bit out of order. Are we going to name every bass player who slapped at the show on this thread?

The slap wasn't the problem. The cummulative effect of 100's of watts of amplification was.

Bass chat has become very 'Slappist'. I didn't make the show unfortunately...... but if I did I would have been slapping a lot I'm sure. I don't give a fook if people think it;s a partytrick/sub form of bass playing/Flea, King wanna be..... I've got on of Nigel's albums in my collection by his (old?) band Forever Endeavour.... Really good stuff!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1331291123' post='1570794']
Lets keep this thread as friendly as possible please. It's too easy to hide behind your screens and throw the toys out of the pram. I think it's a bit harsh to direct the days frustrations on to one person. How many people who are complaining about all the slap actually did something about it at the time? Or just complained about 'the other stands'. Yes, Nigel does slap and so does Doug and T.M. But they weren't beating three shades of crap out of their basses for 8 hours constantly. So mebbe directing your 'pops' solely at Nigel is actually a bit out of order. Are we going to name every bass player who slapped at the show on this thread?

The slap wasn't the problem. The cummulative effect of 100's of watts of amplification was.
[/quote]

+1 Dood

TBH the noisiest bits I heard weren't often slap, it was just a general low end rumble - which is kind of the obvious thing to hear at a Bass Expo - and to say that "oh all these slappers are a curse" is a little hypocritical IMO - we ALL slap at some stage... sorry!

I've heard stupidly loud pick and fingerstyle players at the Musik Messe and Basschat bass bashes too! And for those that like distortion pedals... :)

T[b]he point is it gets too loud at times and some constructive way of managing this is what's needed[/b] - slap is a small part of the technical 'language' of the bass - a little perspective and positive/constructive ideas are all welcome - to hear and see it at a bass convention of any sort is to be expected - when it's done well, and musically, slap is cool - overly loud and repetitive it is annoying - they are givens. More importantly it's about due consideration of how loud you are playing and how that is affecting those around you is what's important - no one is slagging the lovely Yolanda Charles off when she was singing/playing (and slapping) - perhaps because it was musical rather than self-indulgent w*** - go figure.

I too thought that the slapping issue was a lot less than past year. The general volume issue was probably as good as it's going to get, I think it's damage limitation rather than actually being able to have completely silent 15mins every hour.
Definitly agree that it felt 'smaller', but again, not necessarily a bad thing.
Lack of gear? perhaps, but then I go to LBS to catch up with friends who I don't get to see very often due largely to clashing schedules, I think I played one bass....and that was to try out an amp for 10mins. The rest of the time was spent catching up and chatting, I had a great time :)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1331291123' post='1570794']

[/quote]

Agree with this, I don't see where having a moan at somebody slapping (good or bad) personally is going to achieve much.

I think Ben Cooper's comments on here have reassured me about next years event being better managed, so I'm quite prepared to fork out again next year.

Its not the slapping that really ticks me off. It's the foul creatures that drop their guts when you are watching a demonstration. I don't know about slap but nothing assaults your senses more than a well timed noxious fart.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1331296431' post='1570907']
Its not the slapping that really ticks me off. It's the foul creatures that drop their guts when you are watching a demonstration. I don't know about slap but nothing assaults your senses more than a well timed noxious fart.
[/quote]

Sorry... that may have been me.. It was all the low frequencies I tell ya!!

i thought yolanda, tm stevens and especially doug wimbish slapped too much!!! I think the main problem was on the stands, where everyone was playing different things at once. The stands were too close together, so it became muddy and to defeat that people just turned up louder until it became unbearable.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1331296431' post='1570907']
[/quote]

Now that is just horrible - forget noise pollution, [i]nose[/i] pollution is definitely as bad or worse....