Why become a member? ×

My Custom Precision Has Landed!

discreet

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332283591' post='1586247']
...well done ...Bass Doc - this is stunning, really, really stunning. There aren't many basses I really look at and think "that is something else", but this is definitely one to get the reaction.
[/quote]

High praise indeed, thank you. :D

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330694145' post='1561711']
[b]My Custom Precision Has Landed![/b]

There are various features that I like about Precision basses spanning the 50s, 60s and 70s. What if it were possible to bring them together in one bass? I like the 50s vibe, but I like the comfort of contours. I like the 50s-type pickguard shape and also the 60s-type 3-ply guards. A 51-type single coil pick-up is fine, but the 57-type split pick-up is more versatile... and a 70s-type 'F' stamped neck plate would bring to mind my beloved USA Fender 76 Precision...

So I approached our own Howard Satterley (The Bass Doc) with a very dodgy Photoshop mock-up of what I wanted... this was the brief:

Body: Alder in vintage white. 57-type contours and radiussing, with routing for 51-type control plate. 62-type 3-ply pickguard in mint/black/mint, cut to 51-type shape.

Neck: Allparts Fender-licensed one-piece maple neck with skunk stripe, truss rod adjustment at heel. 51-type headstock shape. Fender 'spaghetti' decal under clear coat. Vintage tint. 70s-type radius. Synthetic bone nut. Black dots.

Hardware: Fender strap buttons. Side-mounted jack socket in cat's-eye plate. 57-type bridge with threaded barrels. 51-type control plate with chrome dome knobs. 70s-type 'F'-stamped neck plate on black cushion. Kluson reverse vintage tuners. La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL strings.

Electrics: Seymour Duncan Vintage SPB-1 split pickup. CTS solid shaft pots. Ceramic disc 0.05uF cap.

Am I a happy bunny? I played the bass at rehearsal last night. Now I know what 'plays like butter' means. The set-up is perfect, the action low and there is no fret buzz whatsoever from any string at any fret position. It sounds great, very warm and present...a bit like a Precision Bass, in fact. ;) So yes, I'm a very happy bunny indeed!

My Precision Bass GAS is finally over! Many thanks and heartfelt gratitude to Howard for his skill, endless patience and excellent communications. And thanks for all the bubble wrap, mate! :D

Edited for extra pics, as requested! :D
[/quote] My God ! What a beauty mate !!! :D

[quote name='DavidCertain' timestamp='1332202342' post='1584910']
I'm wondering why not one person has commented on the counterfeit Fender decal. This is very unethical, plus, why can't the guy put his own name on the bass he made? It's like putting a Opal logo on a Mercedes. Sure, most of us could tell it's not really a Fender, but after it changes hands a couple of times, someone is going to get taken. It's not only extremely unethical to make or own such a bass, it's highly illegal. I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it in an internet bass forum. I'm just wondering what's the purpose of using counterfeit Fender decals? Anyone want to explain why someone would be proud of this when they should be ashamed?
[/quote]

Because, this is not the US of A, where you're happy to burn anyone at the stake for any minor copywright infringement. Also, it's opel, not opal (we call them vauxhalls anyway)

Thanks, Ed. I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I would like to make this point:

...It's like putting a (sic) Opal (sic) logo on a Mercedes...
[/quote]

In this David is certainly correct, it [i]is[/i] like putting an Opel logo on a Mercedes. Because anyone buying this bass for the price of an Opel would be getting a Mercedes. In short, anyone who bought it for Fender money (under the impression it was a Fender) [i]would be getting a bargain![/i] It's far superior to a stock production Fender in every way. That is all. :)

Edited by discreet

It is only illegal if you try and sell it as a Fender. you can put whatever decal you like on it otherwise!
My flightcase has an Apple sticker on it, I'm not breaking any law until the day I stick it on eBay/gumtree as a genuine Apple iCase.

I happen to think it looks lovely by the way Discreet, stunning job Doc. I personally think the Fender decal adds to the aesthetic too.
And I'm sure there will be enough people on here who will immediately post in the eBay section if this was ever put up for sale as a genuine Fender Precision bass!

One of my Fender basses is actually made from about 3 different basses as well as all the parts being sourced independently. The bass has certainly not been built by Fender, I put the bits together. The Neck is Squier, the body is Fender the machine heads are Fender, everything else is from various sources.
The neck was stripped down to the wood all over, leaving the headstock plain. If I stick a Fender decal on it is it a fake? or just an incredibly upgraded Fender...?

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1333451970' post='1601784']
...And I'm sure there will be enough people on here who will immediately post in the eBay section if this was ever put up for sale as a genuine Fender Precision bass...
[/quote]

Thanks... If I were trying to fool anyone I'd be going the wrong way about it by posting big pics and info on BC!
In any case, it's not for sale... :D

Edited by discreet

I'm wondering why not one person has commented on the counterfeit Fender decal. This is very unethical, plus, why can't the guy put his own name on the bass he made? It's like putting a Opal logo on a Mercedes. Sure, most of us could tell it's not really a Fender, but after it changes hands a couple of times, someone is going to get taken. It's not only extremely unethical to make or own such a bass, it's highly illegal. I certainly wouldn't be bragging about it in an internet bass forum. I'm just wondering what's the purpose of using counterfeit Fender decals? Anyone want to explain why someone would be proud of this when they should be ashamed?
[/quote]
Get a life!

Nice Bass by the way mate, I'm not normally keen on white pickguards on white Basses, but this one looks the cats pyjamas!

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1333986250' post='1609205']
I'm not normally keen on white pickguards on white Basses, but this one looks the cats pyjamas!
[/quote]

Thanks! It's actually a mint pickguard, but it is [i]very [/i]light green. Looks greener in reality, if that makes sense. :D

Edited by discreet

• 5 weeks later...

, why can't the guy put his own name on the bass he made?
[/quote]

Do you think I should put 'Gibson' on the basses I make?
I think someone might not like that either esp as they are Fenderalike basses

Wow I missed this first time around, looks awesome! Plus, vintage white plus maple is a top top choice.
The decal issue is kind of interesting really, but since it's using a Fender-licensed neck a bit of a non-issue here. All gets a bit philosophical when you start questioning what is a 'thing' when it's made up of other constituent 'things', and how an object can have multiple simultaneous identities...

Actually this one reminds me a lot of that recent Fender 'anniversary' bass that got a bit of a bashing on here, but that I liked the look of. This does look better though. And looks are what matter, right? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

That's a wonderful thing :)

[/quote]

This is probably far superior in build quality to any Fender I'd have ever laid my hands on, and I'll bet a 'real' Fender would cost less too! Not sure what's with the hostility of some of the above comments but oh well! :)

[/quote]

If you took the time to read the OP, you would see that that the neck is a Fender licensed Allparts product, and in being so is in no copyright infringement from Fender. It is not unethical, illegal, counterfeit or otherwise. The reason being is because it is a Fender licensed product, and licensed by Fender themselves. And is at perfect liberty to wear the Fender logo, because it is a part licensed from Fender, by Fender, The Musical Instrument Company from North America, and indeed world-wide.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough for you to understand.

I'm sure you are being contentious for the sake of it, instead of basking in the reflected glory and joy we all feel for Discreet and his fine bass.

I suggest you seek out an Ebay member called 'shippers' and highlight his work in your own thread, you may find one or two BC'ers in agreement with you.

In the mean-time, leave this thread to the grown-ups.

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1338112287' post='1669654']
But I never got to hear it... Any chance?
[/quote]

Eh..? You mean you want me to actually [i]record [/i]something with it?? :huh: :D

Edited by discreet

• 3 weeks later...