Why become a member? ×

Which bassline inspired you to pick up the bass?

skej21

[i]Influential moments i recall were Smoke on the Water live in Japan, when i heard that bass come in i said, "thats what i want to do"[/i]

[i]Exactly the same for me.........In the 1st year at school we had a band, none of us had instruments but I played the bass! Once I got a bass it was Bob Daisley/Geddy Lee (The Trees was a right of passage) If you could play this well you could consider yourself to be a a bassist of repute! [/i]

Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye.. actually.. all of Moving Pictures by Rush. I'd never heard bass in rock so blatantly outfront, creative, and yet integral before. Heard Camera Eye and Barchetta for the first time.. they blew my mind and I just had to have a bass and learn to play it.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1330614437' post='1560410']
This one [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCIP54PIQ[/media] :)
[/quote]

Nice one Don!

The first song where I noticed what the bass sound was, and decided I liked it, was Seasons in the Sun, by Terry Jacks, so that`s probably my real inspiration.

For me it was, rather ironically, the synth bass intro to Weather Reports Birdland. The song gets a bit tricky after that like, but the intro, especially if played with a drummer, is a good level of challenge for a beginner with a good ear. I used to play it for hours!

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1330612911' post='1560372']
Lord Of Light (Hawkwind - Space Ritual) might be suitable. Good bass riff but pretty simple.
[/quote] ...... Same here!! ...All of Space ritual got my bass bone vibrating but Lord of Light was the 1st line that I managed to work out! :)

the chain for me when I first picked up the bass , but only played at school and did assemblies with a couple of strummers, and didn't really try covering others numbers,
after not having picked up the guitar for a while , I heard 'silly love songs' by wings / McCartney and thought I could have a go at that , picked up the guitar and joined a band 3 weeks later , different band now but I remember nailing the line and getting a real buzz from it , even though it isn't to hard ,but it has a great grooove

I think Flea inspired me to start playing bass, but I got really enthusiastic for it when I learned "Lounge Act" by Nirvana it was the first song I thought myself and I still think it's a great bass line.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1331150906' post='1568606']
I think Flea inspired me to start playing bass, but I got really enthusiastic for it when I learned "Lounge Act" by Nirvana it was the first song I thought myself and I still think it's a great bass line.
[/quote]

Lounge Act was probably a similar inspiration for me. I remember hearing that just thinking 'why the f**k would anybody want to play anything else when a bass can sound like that?!'

I still feel that now when I hear it!

The Chain - Fleedwood Mac
Seven Nation Army - White stripes
Master Blaster - stevie wonder .
Dancing in the Moonlight - Thin Lizzy - a classic !!
Love will tear us apart - New Model Army
Black Knight - Deep Purple
Detroit Rock City - KISS
I think it was " Rio " by Duran Duran that really made a big impression on me 30 years ago ,I was watching a concert recorded on some old Beta-max video tape and when I saw all the women screaming for Andy Taylor , I thought , thats what I want to do with my life !!

Edited by martin8708

A few things really. Metallica, with Orion. The whole song is fun to play, but the chordy bit that starts around 3:50 is always a good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYqi-EMErU

Also For Whom the Bell Tolls, mostly because of how f***ing cool Rob looks in this video, but the chorus could be fun to teach beginners to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztk1V4utYdA

Some Guns and Roses stuff too, although I'm still yet to get round to learning much of it. Velvet Revolver too, Slither in particular, I think that was the first bassline I learned. Also Nightwish stuff, but that was also partly just because of how goddamn cool Marco looks with that Warwick. My biggest inspiration by far. Dunno if their stuff is very beginner friendly though.

To me it was a number of basslines that drove me into stop everything and pick up the bass.

The first one was the Beatles - Come Together followed by Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused with the deciding one being Lou Reed - Lust for Life, I threw the electric guitar and sold everything to get me a proper bass and a big f*** off amp! :D