Why become a member? ×

Who's Next? Need to decide who to write my next book on...

Bilbo

The imminent publication of my Paul Chambers biography leaves me wanting to start my next piece of research and I have not yet decided who to look at. I did want to write Steve Swallow's story but, having discussed it with him, I discovered that someone else has that in hand. So, who do I look at?

Haden would be my first choice and Holland my second. I am also interested in Pettiford, Watkins, Lopez Sr and Clarke as subjects. Hinton is a possibility but some of the others are less likely to gain commercial attention?

Anyone got any preferences? Who would you like to read about?

PS Mingus has been done several times and far more comprehensively than I coudl hope for.

I don't know if I have what would be considered a strange view on it, but I think I would consider it less appropriate to write about a living player, in some odd sense I think it's because whilst living they can tell their own story. I'm willing to be the only one with this view and understand it's a little 'formal' thinking.

Ps can't wait to see the Chambers tome!!

Edited by jakenewmanbass

The various artists route has done several times, Len. It would disappear into the ether and be competing with loads of other publications. A stand alone biography has the potential to find its niche more readily (I should add that I have no real ambitions to sell millions of copies; if I did I wouldn't write about jazz bass players :lol:).

There is another aspect to it, Jake. Writing about living people means you can offend them and get sued. Its is harder to offend someone who is no longer with us and they tend to be less litigious :lol:!!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1330602736' post='1560056']
I went for Percy Heath. I've no idea who any of them are but he sounds like the sort of chap who likes a pint of mild and doing crosswords.
[/quote]

Percy Heath is an infamous location for dogging and such, isn't it?

getting coat and legal brief.

Well Jimmy Blanton died at a ludicrously early age so there wouldn't be too much to say there I guess. I too would avoid living platyers and I guess someone will be ahead of you with a Ray Brown biog, most likely. IIRC Oscar Pettiford was a really interesting character and Cachao would be interesting due to his 'career' backdrop being the Cuban revolution. Cachao gets my vote

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1330602930' post='1560060']
Percy Heath is an infamous location for dogging and such, isn't it?

getting coat and legal brief.
[/quote]

I voted on this basis, for reference. One man and his dog: dogging. We've closed the Jazz loop here, people. We must have product on Percy Heath.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1330604750' post='1560121']
Never heard of any of them, sorry. Surely you cant make money on selling books that the majority of the population have never heard of ?
[/quote]

Money is not the only driver, Daz.