Why become a member? ×

Who's Next? Need to decide who to write my next book on...

Bilbo

Instead of deciding by name alone, do we know of what kinds of lives they all lived?

I'm assuming you'd want to capture something of the man in the work, so that be perhaps the best place to start - and I imagine stories of drugs, wild parties, and rock and roll (substitute for knitwear, jazz festivals and elbow patches in this instance) would make a more interesting [i]write[/i] as well as a a read, no?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330606554' post='1560188']
Instead of deciding by name alone, do we know of what kinds of lives they all lived?

I'm assuming you'd want to capture something of the man in the work, so that be perhaps the best place to start - and I imagine stories of drugs, wild parties, and rock and roll (substitute for knitwear, jazz festivals and elbow patches in this instance) would make a more interesting [i]write[/i] as well as a a read, no?
[/quote]

Strangely,I've read a couple of (auto)biographies of musicians that are based around 'drugs,parties and rock and roll'
and find them boring...I like reading about their musical background and accomplishments.

Yep, for that read about Chet Baker - pretty boy trumpeter, got heavily into heroin, lost his front teeth in drug-related beatings, lost his looks completely and ended up dead having fallen out of his apartment window on to the street below, cause unknown.

From this:
[attachment=101418:chet-baker1-e1325468761730.jpg]

To this:
[attachment=101419:300h.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330602008' post='1560030']
There is another aspect to it, Jake. Writing about living people means you can offend them and get sued. Its is harder to offend someone who is no longer with us and they tend to be less litigious :lol:!!
[/quote]

As someone who worked with Frank Zappa material and Alumni in the 2 years following his death I would say keep one eye on the owners of the estate!!!

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1330607457' post='1560226']

As someone who worked with Frank Zappa material and Alumni in the 2 years following his death I would say keep one eye on the owners of the estate!!!
[/quote]

Very true. Fortunately, few Jazz musicians HAVE any form of estate!! :lol:

I would like to read about Danny Thompson. Having heard him talk about his life a couple of times, he has a very philosophical approach to his playing and a load of interesting stories, admittedly mainly about John Martyn!

So my vote goes to Danny, even though he wasn't on your list....

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1330648646' post='1561116']
I would like to read about Danny Thompson. Having heard him talk about his life a couple of times, he has a very philosophical approach to his playing and a load of interesting stories, admittedly mainly about John Martyn!

So my vote goes to Danny, even though he wasn't on your list....
[/quote]

There was a pretty lengthy interview in a guitarist magazine from the 90s I have somewhere that was pretty interesting. Will turn up eventually and I can send it to you digitally or something.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1330649822' post='1561128']
There was a pretty lengthy interview in a guitarist magazine from the 90s I have somewhere that was pretty interesting. Will turn up eventually and I can send it to you digitally or something.
[/quote]

Ohh, thank you very much!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330605954' post='1560163']
Money is not the only driver, Daz.
[/quote]

I supose so, if you have it already you dont miss not having it. We have to remember though, even bass players who to us are very famous like Jaco and Stanley, are complete unknows to most of the world. Even so called music journalists dont know who they are. I remember seeing the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD box set, where they had Mark Ellen and David Hepworth on it doing the obligatory voice overs and reminising on old times and what happpned when the band were in the studio, etc. So up comes Stanley Clarke, and not only could they not remember his name, they had no idea who he was and could not remember the actual Old Grey recording, even though at least one of them was in the studio and must have spoke to him and introduced him! So they spent their time mickey taking the keyboard player who had strapped his keys to a guitar strap and mistook it for a guitar, as was in vogue for a period in the late 70s/early 80s (fair enough point on that one, though)

Excuse to show the clip :) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0D2RtOTrIg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0D2RtOTrIg[/url]

Edited by daz

I voted Ray Brown if there's nothing comprehensive out there on him already. Christian McBride consistently cites his playing as one of his major influences, as I'm sure a million and one other upright players do.

Dave Holland is a staggering player but he's not really that old. Might be a bit of an odd one to see a major biog on him just yet.