Why become a member? ×

Should band names reflect the setlist?

solo4652

The newly-formed I joined recently is having a lively internal debate about the band's name. We play soft-rock/pop/indie covers. Some of the band favour "quirky"/fun names like Creative Chair Bending or The Spotted Frogs or Spiny Norman or Bats in Bikinis or Blame it on Leslie. Other people (I'm one of them) would choose a band name that gives promoters and audiences some sort of idea of the music we play.

So - what do we think, folks?

Edited by solo4652

Any band name will give promoters and audiences an idea of what sort of music you play, as will the typography you use on any flyers.

The question is whether you want to give them an accurate idea, or whether you want to deliberately mislead them, so that you attract the wrong sort of fans, and put off the ones who'd enjoy your music. For me it's a no-brainer.

A few years ago some friends fancied a night out, so we looked at the listings of a local club to pick a band to go and see. We hadn't heard of any of them so went based on the names. One stood out as having both the sort of name, and the sort of typography that an indie band would use. Turned out to be a pair of mullets doing very tired acoustic covers of '70s classic rock. I didn't mind, but my friends were really disappointed. And I'm sure many people who would have enjoyed it didn't go because they didn't think it would be their thing. Foot meet bullet.

Edited by mart

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1330013435' post='1551442']
We play soft-rock/pop/indie covers. Other people (I'm one of them) would choose a band name that gives promoters and audiences some sort of idea of the music we play.

[/quote]

Yep - 'Tired Old Sh*te' it is then ;)

Edited by KevB

I really like a local band called 'Mouth on a Stick'

Doesn't really say a lot for their style of music but they play the usual 70's stuff and sound really good.

My all time favourite local band are called Abakus.

Mixture of rock and pop classics with some unusual ones in their too.

My band are called 'Rock Hopper' :lol: go figure!

If my experience is anything to go by, you're coming at this from the wrong angle.

Rather than starting with a name you all like and then seeing if it's actually available, try putting together a (long) list of acceptable names and then settle down to an evening of Google and You Tube.

It can be a sobering experience, discovering just how many 'good' band names are already in use.

Even more sobering is discovering how many Google searches lead to ... erm ... NOT worksafe websites.

Other people (I'm one of them) would choose a band name that gives promoters and audiences some sort of idea of the music we play.[/quote]

:) Which would be the logical thing to do.

If your bandmates really want to be quirky and creative and humourous, why don't they just go and do some stand-up? KevB can probably give them some useful tips.

Edited by skankdelvar

The newly-formed I joined recently is having a lively internal debate about the band's name. We play soft-rock/pop/indie covers. Some of the band favour "quirky"/fun names like Creative Chair Bending or The Spotted Frogs or Spiny Norman or Bats in Bikinis or Blame it on Leslie. Other people (I'm one of them) would choose a band name that gives promoters and audiences some sort of idea of the music we play.

[/quote]

I would pay to see any band called 'Blame It On Leslie'. :lol:
I think if you are in a band playing such covers, your advertising would probably mention it so I think you would get away with an amusing name. Once you've got a bit of a reputation it won't be a problem.

Of course, everything within reason - if you are playing soft rock covers a name like 'Sarcophagus of Entrails' is probably pushing it a bit.

Im in a band called The Inspired.

What inspires us?

About 8 pints.

We play rock and indie covers.

I think that a band name should be memorable over naming a band after the genre of music you play. I wanted to call our band Substitute (a good name for a covers band IMHO) but we went with The Inspired.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330037757' post='1551987']
I would pay to see any band called 'Blame It On Leslie'. :lol:

Of course, everything within reason - if you are playing soft rock covers a name like 'Sarcophagus of Entrails' is probably pushing it a bit.
[/quote]
And I would pay to see both 'Creative Chair Bending' and 'Sarcophagus of Entrails'.

But then again my band is 'Anarchic Freight' which is neither linked to any subversive political movement or involved in the mass transportation of goods (those of you of the correct age may pick up on the Not the Nine O'Clock News reference).

I have to confess to using the on-line random band name generator as a source of inspiration for songs.
Therefore work in progress currently includes 'Tranquilised by maps', 'Asthma promise' and 'Ritual ozone harvest'.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1330014446' post='1551471']
i believe a name is what you make of it, if you make good music that stands out from the crowd or play to a high enough standard in the case of covers people will associate your name with your music or performance no matter what it is (within reason of course)
[/quote]

this

i dont think names have to be descriptive necessarily unless you are so worried about your target audience being a bit dim :o

exposure and association probably work better - get out there and start getting a good reputation and your band name will go around and become 'associated' regardless of it's linguistic connotations :)

edit: but being overly quirky just for the sake and you might end up with the people not coming to see you for the first time becuase they think your band name makes you sound like a bunch of tw*ts (no personal offence intended)

good band names usually always have a certain ring to them - serendipity usually plays a partin it somewhere - go with your intuition - not what your brain is telling you is funky or quirky or hip or even AMAZEBALLS

Edited by steve-bbb

I have always wanted to do a mod covers band (to play the scooter shows and stuff as I have a contact in that social group) and call it Twist'n'Go which I think is an amazing name for such a venture.

However I will probably never bother, if anyone wants it its up for grabs!