Why become a member? ×

Blur

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1329861726' post='1548848']
Anyone see this?
[/quote]

Anyone see what? Care to expand?

I you mean Blur cutting off Adele's acceptance speech - who cares? IMO awards acceptance speeches should consist of two words "Thank You", smile nicely and wave at the audience and then shut up and f*** off back to your seat. No one needs or wants to hear you blather on about how great your record company/producer/video director/drug dealer are. These people are only doing their jobs and are already being paid handsomely out of your own pocket.

As for Blur what's the big deal? Judging by the YouTube clip the TV sound was bit sh*t, but then TV sound normally is. They played their two best songs in an entertaining manner. What more did you want?

Live music performance always wins out over some musician talking in my book.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1329893851' post='1549115']
I liked the music, but thought Damon Albarn sounded like a pub drunk doing a Damon Albarn impression on karaoke.

But, overall, I liked the fact that instead of shiny polished people with costume changes, and dancers, there were 4 scruffy lads on stage making a racket.
[/quote]

+1 to this

I like Blur. Fair dos it wasn't the most polished of performances.
What I'd really like to know tho is who here thinks Alex James is a good bass player?
Obviously within the context of the whole indie/pop/rock genre, he must be considered somewhat better than his peers.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329902760' post='1549203']
Since when were awards ceremonies about music. I thought it was just about patting each others backs, fake surprises and pretend tears.

Half the proper decent stuff doesn't get acknowledged IMO
[/quote]

Half the proper decent stuff? NO proper decent stuff gets acknowledged at the Brits.

Before saying Coxon is the only talented one you would need to look beyond Blur and the diverse things Albarn has been involved with.
Gorillaz, Good, Bad and the Queen, Operas, film scores etc,. I have always seen him as a talented and diverse musician myself --> [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Albarn"]http://en.wikipedia....ki/Damon_Albarn[/url]

Edited by kerley

I put some work in to learning the bassline for Girls and Boys off the record for our function band. And I've had a quiet respect for Alex James since as it turns out it was quite tricky little line (compared to many songs anyway). I'd never seen them play the song live before but had always thought he must be quite the player to get all those little fiddly little runs across at gig tempo!

The musicianship in Blur is what caused me to buck the trend as a Manchester boy and actually prefer Blur to Oasis when all that stuff was going on a few years ago. That and I can't be doing with cocky loudmouth yobs...

Having seen them play at the Brits last night I need not have bothered, it seemed like a lazy covers band version - after quite a few beers. I know they are meant to be a bit raucous, thats live music, but I don't remember them being so sloppy live. The bassline was simplified almost beyond recognition, and even then it wasn't all that tight. It didn't get much better in the other songs either, and all the while carrying it off with the stage presence of a geography teacher, standing slightly awkwardly and looking at the fretboard most of the time - you'd think after 21 years he'd know where the notes were!

As others have said, I'm not angry - just disappointed. Less cheese making, more bass practice required Alex!

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1329902643' post='1549199']
I like Blur. Fair dos it wasn't the most polished of performances.
What I'd really like to know tho is who here thinks Alex James is a good bass player?
Obviously within the context of the whole indie/pop/rock genre, he must be considered somewhat better than his peers.
[/quote]
Yes I liked the Blur that was but last night's performance was BAD. Albarn might have had a few too many before the gig? Alex james is a great player but I think he's been raising kids & making cheese more than playing bass lately. His face & demeanour right from the first walk on said WTF am I doing here! When he was playing it looked he was embarrased to be on the same stage with Damon. Maybe they'll be more together for the big gig in the park?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329899508' post='1549156']
As for Blur what's the big deal? Judging by the YouTube clip the TV sound was bit sh*t, but then TV sound normally is. They played their two best songs in an entertaining manner. What more did you want?
[/quote]

Quite. I don't get it. At least it was obviously a live performance and not some arsehole doing a 'PA' and poncing around to some foetid, anodyne backing track. Modern Life Is Rubbish!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329905548' post='1549282']
I think it was the millions of albums that they sold.
[/quote]

Ahh I see. I thought that's what the silver/gold/platinum album things were for. Maybe they can rename it 'outstanding contribution to music [i]sales'[/i] award in future.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1329906219' post='1549301']
Ahh I see. I thought that's what the silver/gold/platinum album things were for. Maybe they can rename it 'outstanding contribution to music [i]sales'[/i] award in future.
[/quote]

Are you honestly going to try and claim that 24 million album sales and two decades in the musical public consciousness that Blur haven't made a significant change to British popular music? You might not like them, but for once I'm happy to go along with the Brit awards on this one. It's irrefutable.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329905548' post='1549282']
I think it was the millions of albums that they sold.
[/quote]

Even though Damon's first Gorilla album outsold all Blur albums combined, and Alex had a single (Vindaloo?) which outsold all Blur singles combined?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1329907549' post='1549325']
Even though Damon's first Gorilla album outsold all Blur albums combined, and Alex had a single (Vindaloo?) which outsold all Blur singles combined?
[/quote]

It's the way music works though, isn't it. 'Mr. Blobby' went to number one in 1993, thankfully no one chose to award it. Blur were the British flagship band for the best part of the 90's, they were a huge export. The Gorrilaz obviously had the combined weight of a U.S market due to its Hip-Hop appeal + Blur's initial success, and Vindaloo capitalised on the World Cup.

EDIT - an FYI, the Gorrilaz debut album sold 10 million. Quite a far off amount from Blur's combined 24 million.

Edited by risingson

not their most stellar performance, but still very enjoyable.

[/quote]

i think he's a superb bass player - very melodic and groovy.

Edited by ahpook

[/quote]

I find him bog standard to be honest.Then again so were his 'peers'. I mean, Matt Osman, Steve Mackey, Paul McGuigan, Annie Holland, Mick Quinn............
None of them spring to mind as outstanding bassists. I'd stick them all in the Adam Clayton/Michael Anthony pile.