Why become a member? ×

HUGE EPIC BRUTAL sound... don't know what to look for..

charic

For my metal band I was thinking of getting a pedal or two in the future just for scaring the pants off of the guitarist.

I really want the bass to sound huge and fairly evil. Was thinking a distortion may do this but most that I have listened too seem to cut a lot of low end.

Any recommended listening? I've not really ventured into pedals as of yet (have two) and so am pretty clueless.

I'd start off with a Boss ODB-3, especially as you can pick en up dirt cheap used. I saw Acid King play last year and the bassist used one through a cranked SVT and it sounded immense. In fact I might just hold onto mine, perhaps have a go at modding it...

Also the Bass Big Muff and new MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe.

Some sort of OTT distortion and a synth/octave are called for methinks..........
Fuzz generally dies in the mix so I'd stay away from most units. I really like the MXR Blowthorch as it has a very useable blend control. Maybe team that with an OC-3 or something?

Middly drive and bit clean lows is the way. Problem is most rives are scooped, and low cut for chugging guitars and sounding good on its own. I used Sansamp into valve amps for a pretty big sound. Wasn't super defined, but tuning to A will do that for you, I reckon I can get much more definition and the same size with my newer rig that is half guitar stuff, much more middle there.

The hugeness of your sound is really down to your amp or sound man if your going through a house PA ... a simple distortion pedal like the boss will add plenty of dirt to get it sounding fat and nasty without getting lost in the mix. In my experience fuzz sounds great in the house but on stage it's like somebody has turned your bass off! My wee zoom B3 has lots of distortion / bass boost / driver combinations I was able to get a massive sound in a club on sat night with a simple bit of distortion and boost .. might be an idea if you're not sure exactly what you want.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1329166526' post='1538333']
Start at the start and get some strings manly enough to be fulll sounding in drop C, chances are you are using standard ones, and that is like trying to rock a shortscale in standard.
[/quote]

Using a custom set of Newtones on my acg. Very clear and defined :-)

I suppose it depends on the octaver & how cleanly you play, but I don't have any trouble with the Boss OC-3 keeping up with any riffs that I play (& many solo pieces too).
EHX HOG or POG will give you a HUGE sound, but they're not cheap.

Ahhh, I could do without checking them out :) but my guess is you want a dirt pedal that gives a big mid boost - something like a clean blended rat or tube screamer. This seems to be the sort of sound I hear on modern metal (my girlfriend listens to loads). I'm not sure what would do it in one pedal - i'd love to try out that Tech 21 bass boost pedal. I got a Tech 21 XXL recently which is very cool but probably too high gain for what you're after.

EDIT: I was playing straight through my Red Llama clone the other night with just the bridge pickup and even on very high gain settings it's really punchy and loses almost no low end. I don't know if anyone uses these on bass usually though?

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1329150338' post='1537889']
Octave down & a fuzz. Wall crumbling stuff
[/quote]

This is what I use!

I like the OBD3 for the overdrive - very cheap and simple, and would be good if you want more attack in the sound; but I think, as others have said, a lot will come from the ability of amp and cabs to carry that sound.