Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HUGE EPIC BRUTAL sound... don't know what to look for..

charic

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329226291' post='1539075']
Strange, on the youtube vid it sounded significantly larger than the boss... maybe I should just get both :P
[/quote]

:lol: You could.
The MXR has a lot of high end with the gain at maximum. I've the distortion on constantly, set to about 2 O'Clock but the blend is ~95% clean 5% grit. Sounds great boosting a wah pedal.

I seemed to be getting a lot of "full" sounding distortion on the vid with both highs and lows but not loosing any punch, I'm not really a fan of anything which compromises clarity.

In the future I would like a nice collection of reverbs and delays for when I'm doing more melodic stuff. Funnily enough my behringer chorus beefs up the sound lovely but I just want some real aggression in there with the mix. I'm also currently working on my speed of playing and with the guitarist in the band also aiming quite low (also drop C... boosts the lows too) I have the opportunity to widdle should I wish.

Finally... I think I just want some pedals :lol:

IMO the newer zoom units (B2, B3 etc) are miles ahead of their older units.

I just thought it'd be a cheaper way to get an idea of what you want - rather than buy a load of dirt pedals and/or blenders and keep trying them, you can get an idea of how to get your sound (IE you could try a tube screamer blended all in one box) and if you don't like the B3 in the long run, work towards replacing it with seperates.

Otherwise it's pretty difficult unless you can get access to a big dirt pedal collection. I bought all my pedals blind, and it's been a pretty expensive experience!!

The B3 supposedly has some killer Rat and Muff simulations that can all be blended too, I have one on the way and can't wait to play with it. I Was not that impressed with the B2 so we'll see. Regarding the ODB-3, it has a monstrous low end, and while it can get fizzy, it sounds just fine as long as you don't boost the treble much and don't use a tweetered cab. It does have an inherent mid scoop though yet can still be heard, and is the cheapest way to make your guitarist sh*t himself for sure.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329235077' post='1539280']
I seemed to be getting a lot of "full" sounding distortion on the vid with both highs and lows but not loosing any punch, I'm not really a fan of anything which compromises clarity.
[/quote]

Mids are more important than highs and to an extent lows,

I use quite a lowmid heavy sound so that sounds worrying tbh. I used to have a big muff but didn't get on with it (can't remember why). On my old line6 pod I used chorus, delay and distortion mostly.

I really liked the grind sound on the line6 amps too!

I was playing with my b3 tonight a mixture of synth and two bass big muffs gave what could only be described as a "HUGE EPIC BRUTAL" sound. The great think with the b3 is the ability to layer 3 effects at the same time and do a blend with the amount of each effect .. and the overall amount of all three. IMO the simulations of all the well known pedals is very good. For the cost of one pedal you can play with 99 ... It was a no brainer for me. Gigged with mine twice so far and I've heard nothing but praise.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329333595' post='1540903']
The B9 has more in common with the older B2 than the new B3. Not tried a B9, but I had a B2 and it is not the droid you're looking for.
[/quote]

:( dammit... gas though.... need to find these to try out

Something close to this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPivBRBj8w[/media]

Live it sounds HUGE, youtube has stripped some of the lowend from the Album version (it's japan only, but i own it ;) ).

Or something similar to Troy from Mastodon?

And if not, anyone tell me how to do that with a mono rig? If had a similar sound bi-amping and it sounds EPIC xD

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1329340874' post='1541063']
Where? You seem to have all the best Myung info! And I want in, I'm a massive fan boy of JM! :lol:
[/quote]

Well were buddies dontcha know?

See here's us hanging out...

[attachment=100060:ScaledDown.jpg]

And here's the link to the info ;)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Myung"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Myung[/url]

Ok... it's not entirely reliable :D