Why become a member? ×

Do Gibson make a Les Paul which...

MacDaddy

No, but they've discontinued that pesky shielding which added so much to the production cost.

Actually, I think you might be describing the SG. Still wouldn't bother with a Gibson made one. If you do have to get a Gibson one, get one from the States shipped over, because the last pick get exported by Gibson. got some fairly serious guitar people reccomending getting a Chinese clone and some hardware.

Edit: Missing all the 'd's

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1329134373' post='1537508']
... has sorted out the usual Les Paul problems, in particular upper fret access, balance, no body contouring, and weight?
[/quote]
I've got a chambered LP that certainly sorts out two problems: the weight and the balance are perfect.

On the other hand, I can't see there being an LP with better upper-fret access - that would require quite a major change of shape, wouldn't it?

They did make something like that - a Les Paul Ultra* or similarly named - had a belly cut and specially carved heel for easy access to the dusty end.

Not sure you're thinking of a Les Paul when you talk about balance though - every LP I've tried balanced pretty much perfectly are they are not known to have a problem. As for weight, there are several ways that's been dealt with, from the new routed bodies of standards, through the rather unscientific swiss-cheese process to the 'lite' range. Alternatively just try a bunch and eventually you should find one that's a reasonable weight - I'm assuming you're after something around 8 to 8 1/2lb, rather than an anorexic 6lb jobbie.

TBH it sounds like you're a PRS buyer, as noted above. The nighthawk is a different kettle of worms altogether, having a 25 1/4 scale and odd pickups.

Chambering.

*Correction - it's the Les Paul Axcess: [url="http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/NewModels/spotlight-on-lp-axcess/"]http://www.gibson.co...t-on-lp-axcess/[/url]

If you're on a budget then you could try Agile/Rondo music:

[url="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dspellman/al3200lpb3.jpg"][/url]

Edited by Ancient Mariner

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329217138' post='1538828']
Not as different as you might think.

Especially if you put in one of the SD pups.
[/quote]

Not trying to pick a fight, but for me, the scale length and different dimensions would make that a very different guitar. I know some guys will play 'anything on anything', but for me a Les Pau is a very specific set of attributes and design parameters. A PRS singlecut - much closer to a LP than the nighthawk - doesn't feel like a Les Paul, though I'm told the SC245 is closer. As for SD pups, I've never found a pickup from them I've liked or would keep in any of my guitars, though they can sound OK in other people's hands. One of my Les Pauls (the best one, from Tokia) has burstbuckers, the other (a Heritage H150) has a T top neck and patent number bridge, both from the 70s.

Re the Axcess - apparently there were a very small number made with a TOM, but don't expect them to be cheap.

They did a range of vintage specials (possibly not called that) a few years back which had no chambering but were daft prices as they were somehow seen as special editions.

Probably best looking 2nd hand, I picked mine up for £500 (used to belong to one of the guys from Mansun) and I love it. It's a cliche but they are great to play and sound really nice too.

The Feline Lion is an excellent guitar http://www.felineguitars.com/gallery/Lion_gallery.html

Great upper fret access too - the neck is a full width tenon all the way to the back of the pickup cavity, so the joint can be carved smooth.. Jonathan is an excellent luthier.

In slightly more realistic price range - I have an ESP Eclipse. Much lighter than a Gibson, bit of a belly carve that makes a huge difference and best of all a good volute to stop the headstock breaking off.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1329332136' post='1540868']
In slightly more realistic price range - I have an ESP Eclipse. Much lighter than a Gibson, bit of a belly carve that makes a huge difference and best of all a good volute to stop the headstock breaking off.
[/quote]

I have one too. ESP Eclipse I CTM - in arctic white with EMGs and an ebony fretboard. Lovely! Good enough to make me sell my Gibson Les Paul. Light, too. I might lose the EMGs, mind.

Haha, as said before, a Les Paul wouldn't be a Les Paul without all its problems. I have an ESP Edwards Les Paul which is somehow heavier than a mate's Gibby, but it sounds so much better with a Duncan JB/59 combo! Unfortunately, it is designed as a direct copy so it keeps the obstructive heel, and upper fret access isn't amazing.

If you're willing to have one shipped over, I'd say the Agile could be a very good shout. I used to own a baritone-scale 7 string Agile, and it was an exceptionally nice instrument.

[quote name='BabuHS' timestamp='1329590755' post='1544701']
If you're willing to have one shipped over, I'd say the Agile could be a very good shout. I used to own a baritone-scale 7 string Agile, and it was an exceptionally nice instrument.
[/quote]
I'd be wary of getting a new Agile- their returns policy doesn't apply outside the US so if you get a dodgy one (which does happen, by all accounts) you're stuck with it. If you can see what you want used though, go for it.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1329684644' post='1545971']
Agile used to have a facility where you could pay a little extra for them to check the instrument over before shipping. Don't know if that's still available though.
[/quote]

You mean "quality control"?

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1329722694' post='1546264']
You mean "quality control"?
[/quote]

No.

QC was done (or not done) at the factory, and the Rondo warehouse just a shipping and R&D facility. However they would inspect individual instruments before shipping if the customer was willing to pay a nominal fee to guarantee they got a perfect one. Things may have changed, especially as they've moved into selling instruments for >$500 now, where you would reasonably expect individual inspection, but this was when they were still doing most guitars <$300 and that kind of checking was outside the business model.