Why become a member? ×

does anyone regret selling their first bass

SidVicious1978

[quote name='BB3000S' timestamp='1329032188' post='1536168']
Sold mine, an Aria Pro II SB-R80, in 1987/88, and missed it a lot over the years. :(
Fast forward to the summer of 2008, when thanks to the Swedish bass forum, I got the chance to buy ot back! :) :)
Here she is:

[/quote]

Thats amazing!

My first bass was a Fender Marcus Miller IV and I dont regret selling it.

No, not really as it was a very modest Squier Affinity P Bass. My second bass that replaced it was a Spector Legend 4 and that I do miss more and more - sold to a fellow BCer only a few months ago after several years of faultless service :(

Yes I certainly do wish I still had it.
My first bass was a Fender Jaguar, red with white diagonal stripe, bought second hand about 1978.
Think I paid about eighty quid for it.....sold it when I stopped playing just after I got married. Don't want the ex back though. Under any circumstances.

Not my first bass, but my third one (First was a Framus Star bass, second was a Watkins Sapphire). It was a Fender Precision, two colour sunburst and probably very old, but I didn't know about those things at the time in 1980, I'd had it since 1972 and it was old then.

There was one weird thing about it though, which I've never figured out - it had the word 'Precision' on the headstock removed. I'm convinced it was the real deal though. Anyone got any ideas?

Not really, but I do often wonder who has it now. It was a Hohner P-bass with fretless neck in sunburst finish. It weighed a bloody tonne, and if there was a ever a nuclear war that thing would of survived. It was built to last, and no matter how many times it got dropped, pranged or dinged it never once gave up. I'm sure a lot of my current back problems are due to that bass and my then poor skill and posture ;)

Edited by derrenleepoole

• 1 month later...

I only got my first Bass, a Peavy Zephyr a few months ago and am already on my 3rd.

Do I miss or regret selling? No because the basses I have now are better but I do remember it fondly. It did the job well for a budget bass guitar and was good enough for me to do some recording.

Technically I do not miss my first bass....a terrible cheapo Precision clone...it was awful and nearly put me off bass playing. But about a year later I bought a Hohner 'Jack' bass, and that I played into the ground over the next two decades. I sold it as we lived in a tiny flat, and I had just got a shiny new status.
I miss it: a)because of the momories and b)becuse I've started gigging again and it would be a great bass for pub gigs where I worry about my gear.
On the other hand, it went to a basschatter and he repaired it and got it back to it's former glory.

Not one bit. My first bass was an Encore P copy. I sold it to a friend and unbelievabily still has it! I pick it up once in a while when I visit him and I can say for sure it's the worst bass I have ever owned. Plays badly, sounds even worse and very poorly constructed. Strange how I thought it was the beans when I first had it!

I've always kept my first bass. It's a white/maple squier p that I bought in about '94-'95, used and abused and later re-sprayed metallic purple! It resides in our garage, but I dug it out recently to see if it was worth pimping and gigging again, but I quickly remembered that it is a piece of crap and not worth doing!

My 1st bass was a Hohner Jack headless nt and yes I do regret parting with it for a TRB4.

The good news is one has just landed at my work address and I'm heading that way soon :)

The TRB4 should never have gone either but I lent it to a friend and his toddlers fair trashed it :(

The other good news is that while I was out yesterday I spotted a TRB4P for sale..........

Turqoise Tokai Jazz with a brass pickguard. I was a 17 yo lead guitarist and had to gig it straight away in a Free/Rory Gallegher type blues rock outfit in the mid '80s. It sounded and played great even if I didn't (btw, have been a bassist ever since, never looked back). Really, really ugly colour scheme. But I'd give every bass I own to have her back.

nope, Short scale hoihner 'P' bass copy. Chipboard body and a slightly pointy headstock with bridge screws that dug into whatever part of you touched it - one of the reasons I play fingerstlye now, as I couldn't rest my hand on it when playing with a pick. What more could you want for £70?
a bit like this one,
[IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/f_213899683-9c7912af.jpg[/IMG]

but mine was shittier. :blush:

I had an Encore P-bass for my first bass. I think it was made out of dark matter, given the weight of it. I sold it to a good mate, a namesake, and moved on to an Aria Pro II Magna - a bass I still have a lot of affection for. Candy Apple red with a Maple fretboard, I'd have one again in a jiffy.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334221374' post='1612610']
I had an Encore P-bass for my first bass. I think it was made out of dark matter.
[/quote]

Mine was stupidily heavy too. I also moved onto an Aria Pro after I got shot of that...a very nice Integra that I picked up from a second hand shop for only £120! I do regret selling that one.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334221625' post='1612613']
Mine was stupidily heavy too. I also moved onto an Aria Pro after I got shot of that...a very nice Integra that I picked up from a second hand shop for only £120! I do regret selling that one.
[/quote]

This is like the first five mins of Twins. Do you want to be De Vito or Arnie? :lol:

I totally regret selling the Aria, also - I think it finally left me during the second year or third year of uni. Not sure if that was before or after I broke my arm - in either case, I would have been in penury; and after the break, pretty much unable to play.

• 1 month later...

my first was a Hohner violin with a broken neck joint, paid £30 for it in 78, 3 x 2 inch woodscrews sorted the neck and played it for 2 years then gave it to my brother , who went on a fair bit , so no really. I was chuffed it had some use after me and would probably be worth a few pennies now if I had cherished it , but the day I got it, the luthier in me stole it's value but got a few tunes out of it :D