Why become a member? ×

LED fret markers.

EmmettC

I don't see the point in LEDs on the fingerboard, I could understand them on the top fret markers. The guitar player in my band wants to put them in my bass (free) but I don't think I want them, do you think I should get them or just say no?

I cant believe what anyone could possibly dislike about fingerboard edge leds? They are a fantastic help on a dark stage, no one can really see them apart from you, (so they arent for show at all), and cost about £400 if you have them done by the best in the business. If they are going to be done properly by your chap, dont think twice!

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1328908822' post='1534846']
I cant believe what anyone could possibly dislike about fingerboard edge leds? They are a fantastic help on a dark stage, no one can really see them apart from you, (so they arent for show at all), and cost about £400 if you have them done by the best in the business. If they are going to be done properly by your chap, dont think twice!
[/quote]

Isn't there a certain element of cool attached to them, no? I couldn't see them working for me, in a room full of sweaty punters throwing Red Stripe around, whilst playing my bass near my knees.

But I think they could add a little added extra to other occasions.

I have to say I love LEDs, but then I love all sparkly lights, it's a bit of an obsession. However, if you don't like 'em then don't get them. I don't care if he's offering to clad your whole Bass in pure Platinum, if you don't like it then say no.

Unless you think you could then sell the neck and get a replacement and make a decent profit, without peeing him off...

Why does he think you need LEDs, is trying to say that you need help finding the right notes? :lol:

If you have a spare, give him that to mess around with, and if he does a good job,
then maybe get your main bass done as well, that's providing you think it's cool to have them of course.

I love Leds, in fact I have Led side dot markers on a @20year old bass and I can honestly say that they are extemely handy when your hiding at the back of the dark stage, :) the front ones are a different story though. :unsure:

Tell that guitarist if he needs you to have front Leds then he needs to commision you "and pay for" a new bass with them built in, maybe a Sei or a Status etc. etc?

That'll find out "exactly" how keen he is on the idea :D

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1328950872' post='1535126']
I have the side stick on ones. Great for dark stages and those awkward moments that sometimes catch you out. Don't always use em, but it's very nice to have em ready. Then again I'm a fairly 'flamboyant' player onstage.
[/quote]

Which ones do you have, Gaf & where did you source them?

I currently have a lined fretless & I learned on an unlined, so the side dots are in the 'wrong' place for me. The stick-on leds might be the perfect way of fixing my problem without changing anything.

G.